What's new

CD-R thinks blank CD is full - 16X compatibility issue? (1 Viewer)

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
After almost 2 years, I finally got around to trying out the CD writer that came with my PC (which runs on XP). (The CD-R model is by Samsung.) A while back I had picked up some TDK 16X CD-R discs, which is what I used to try to write something (an LP copy) to disc.

I kept getting prompted to put in a disc with at least 41 minutes of free space (the length of the album I had copied), no matter how many times I clicked on "retry" or put in a different blank disc. When I would just click "ignore", the write would fail right away.

I checked the CD writer's properties in "My Computer" and it showed that the entire disc was full (blue) though it also showed there were 0 used bytes and 0 free bytes.

Out of desperation I tried putting in an audio-CD-R (the more expensive type you have to use for stereo based CD recorders). And this worked fine.

So I'm wondering, does this mean a CD writer that can't go above 8X speed isn't able to handle a 16X CD-R disc? The discs aren't downward compatible? Or could it be a brand incompatibility or bad batch of discs?

I assume it's a speed incompatibility issue but I'd like to verify that before picking up a different batch of CD-Rs. Thanks!

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
yeah sounds like your burner has a problem with that media, try out another brand. or could be a bad disc, i have a TDK VeloCD 48x burner and had a bunch of bad discs in the last 50 pack i used. my burner isnt very picky towards media, i can generally burn any media, but there are only a few i really like.

Memorex,Fuji,and Maxell discs seem to be the best ive tried out of all the brands ive used in the last few years.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
OK, thanks for the responses. I guess I can rule out the speed incompatibility. I tried a few discs from the top of the spindle with the same results. Maybe I'll try a few from the bottom just in case. I guess it could just be a bad batch but from the responses, it sounds like it's more likely a brand incompatibility. As I mentioned, an audio
CD-R worked, so maybe I'll try a data CD-R of the same brand (Memorex).

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
There are some discs listed as "high speed" or some such thing that won't work with all burners... i run into this issue at work.

The app says the disc is full or invalid.

-Vince

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I ended up buying a pack of a different brand of CD-Rs - Philips - that are 48X speed and they worked fine. So I guess it's most likely a brand incompatibility. The TDK discs have a slightly bluish tint so maybe that's the key.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
That's not a comforting thought.

I had the discs in an unopened package about 1 year and a half, give or take a few months. I keep them in the same closet as my audio CD-R discs, none of which has caused a problem so far. Maybe it's not a good idea to stock up on these things??

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member

TDK blanks used to be pretty much the best in the business. Then they started to outsource manufacturing and the standards have slipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks