Carver av505

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Allen Longcor, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

This amp is being sold for an amazing price right now (as found in coupons section) and I was wondering if anyone had it? I only see mention of 8 ohm ratings, so could this amp handle 4 or 6 ohm loads? Any first hand experience would be much appreciated.

2. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

This amp can handle 4ohms w/nooo problem,and its a great amp.I sold mine several yrs ago and my buds still using it.At $350 or less jump on it.

3. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Anyone else have this amp or just listen to it?

4. SolomonP

SolomonP Extra

I cannot comment on the sound quality simply because I have it connected to (what I consider to be) horrible speakers, and I know that it is being limited by them.

What I can say is that I bought mine at the tail end of 1998 as a floor sample from Circuit City (when they closed out their Carver equipment). It has been through frequent moves and infrequent dusting with daily use (albeit at well below-reference level volumes) and lousy power. IT HAS BEEN COMPLETELY TROUBLE FREE.

5. Raj_asaurus

Raj_asaurus Stunt Coordinator

for the AV-505 + coax cables for each channel and shipping for 265 be a good deal?

6. Gabriela Mendez

Gabriela Mendez Stunt Coordinator

Easy. Buy it!

I have the 505 with an HK DPR1001. I really didn't like the "digital" amps that much and kept the DPR1001 as a preamp. The 505 is great. Buy it! Buy it NOW!

7. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

That is a great price. I used to own one. I have a pair of B&W DM630s 4ohm that were chocked by my Sony ES receiver. I ran the pre-outs to the 505 and the sound was muich better.
    A bargan amp that is quite good.
    Marc