What's new

What would contribute more to this system? (1 Viewer)

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
SYSTEM a

My friend has just sort of started a HT setup and so far has gotten a pair of JBL S310s, JBL SCenterII, JBL E30s on an Onkyo TX-SR502 Receiver. his sub is a 10" dayton.

This winter he has about 400 bucks more to add to his system...

My take is that he should jump into the Higher end sub market and grab the new SVS with the 10" driver for around 400. He is dead certain that his receiver is more in need of an upgrade because his new floorstander mains can handle way more power and this receiver doesnt have it.

What do you guys think? Any other suggestions?

SYSTEM B

Also...coincidentally Ill have about the same amount this winter. My system is 4 Polk RTi38s, 1 CSi30, on a Pioneer VSX-812 that is hooked up to a Carver AV505. I too run a Dayton 10". What would jive best with my stuff?

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
What are your cd and/or dvd players? Are you using digtal connections or analog? What is your room size?

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
These are both in really small rooms (dormish sized). We use PS2s for DVD players (I use optical he uses analog). The majority of my use is actually analog signal from my Computer which I play music from in Prologic mode. My friends is used about 50/50 music/movies. the dimensions are about 15x15

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Since you’re in a dorm I question the validity of both options.

First, there’s really no reason to upgrade this sub unless he’s regularly overdriving it and bottoming it out (highly unlikely in a room this small).

Second, just because your friend’s new speakers can handle more power, that doesn’t necessarily mean they need more. Not to mention, if this is indeed a dorm, he probably can’t play them any louder than he already has been without raising the ire of his neighbors and attracting the attention of the campus police.

Bottom line, the only reason he would need a more powerful receiver is if the new speakers are so much less efficient than the old ones that he’s driving the current receiver much harder - i.e., if the new speakers require a significantly higher volume control setting than the old ones.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
My main reason for wanting a sub is that in some movies and music I can definitely tell that the sub is struggling to put out those lower frequencies.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
You must be overdriving the Dayton. I have a very large living room and it more than fills the need.

Your friend can't do much better than the JBL S series. He has a great set of speakers.

I also don't think he would do much better for $400 as regards to a receiver. Could try a refurb HK or the new Pioneer model which would be plenty powerful.

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the suggestions you guys have given so far, anyone have anything else to say? How do you guys feel about the Hsu VTF-2 of VTF-1 versus the SVS PB10?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'd buy a better source(ie DVD player). The PS2 sucks as a dvd/cd player IMHO. The rest of your components(and his) can live for now.

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
Space is an issue so I'd rather sell off this Dayton and get a sub that has more extension than figure out a way to fit another one in this smallish room. The reason I'm even looking at upgrading is to kind of future proof (and Upgraditis :b :D ). As far as getting a better source, right now I dont have very many DVDs and I dont rent them often enough for having a good DVD player to be worth it. As far as source upgrading I figure I'll just wait for the XBOX2 and hope that its a lot better than the PS2.

Sam Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
let's get serious-- a $400 receiver won't be much of an upgrade.

There are a lot of Datyon owners here who like to convince themselves it's an SVS level sub- it isn't. OK ITS OK, doesn't make it SVS quality.

The SVS would be a HEALTHY addition and quite frankly I wouldn't touch any other upgrades for $400 with a stick.

Get that new SVS that is just coming out or get a used entry level cylinder.

Drew_W

Screenwriter

You are of course aware that your friend isn't watching true surround sound right? Analog doesn't pass 5.1, it passes PCM (2.0) and then your receiver simulates it into 5.1.

I think you should get a real DVD player. Something from Denon can be had refurbed from eCost for under $150. They have DVM-1815 5-disc changers for $129, even that open box DVD-900 for

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
The new Pioneer 1014 is quite an upgrade. Really an Elite receiver that compares to any $1000 receiver. Much can be had for $400, especially with on-line pricing.

I have never heard anyone say a Dayton is an SVS. However, it is a great value and will fill a normal size room. For those really into bass, you may want to look at getting rid of the Dayton. The SVS may be a more noticeable upgrade.

Eric C D

Second Unit
Is $400 the cost of the new equipment less what you sell the old for, or is it the amount to be pumped in after selling the old equipment?

What I mean is, if you sell the Dayton, would you have more than $400 to put into a sub? As well, what to get might depend upon whether you place more emphasis on accuracy or extension. There might be lots of good options with your total budget.

enjoy,

Drew_W

Screenwriter
You could even find an older 43/45TX for ~$400 or so that would serve you extremely well.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The 1014TX and older Elite 43TX/45TX models are great receivers and the 1014TX is (in my opinion) impossible to beat under $750 and on par with most $1000 - $1200 receivers. That said, I feel the sub is probably the best thing for both of you to consider upgrading and the PB10 is probably the best course of action. You'll fill out the last octave and should gain a good deal of output as well. You both already have very good speakers and good receivers. The Dayton is a great budget sub but it sounds like the PB10 or maybe something like a STF-2 would be more on par w/ the rest of your systems. I would consider your display before you give much thought to an upgrade in source. The PS2 isn't a horrible DVD player on small displays (32" analog and lower). I often use my PS2+ in progressive mode with tolerable PQ on certain discs my Bravo D1 doesn't like (and my display is a Panasonic L300U on a 92" screen!). Unless you have a 32" or larger HDTV display I would stick w/ the PS2 (or what ever game system is next) until your display changes.

Go with the sub, the PB10 or STF-2 would probably be the best bang for the buck unless you can do DIY.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks