What's new

Cannon And Others Coming Back Courtesy Of VEI (1 Viewer)

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
mattfire64 said:
I know this might seem like a bit of an anal question, but do any of the episodes on the Cannon set feature the infamous Viacom "V of Doom" logo? When these seasons aired on Me-TV awhile back they had it. Also do all the episodes appear to be unedited? (i.e. no time-compression, missing scenes) I can't seem to find that many details about this set, besides the complaints about the video transfers. The DVDTalk review stated that they "appear" to be complete, but I would like a solid answer before I drop $100 on the set.

The run times all vary between upper :49 minutes and in a few instances, up to :52 minutes (with regards to Seasons 4 & 5 anyway--I think the earlier seasons run slightly longer); I think syndication edits for Cannon typically run around 46 minutes or so, so by my best estimate, these seem complete. I have not noticed any time compression whatsoever. In a few scattered instances, the picture is a little jittery, but not to the point of distraction, and it frequently corrects itself in short order. None of the VEI transfers have the Viacom 'V of Doom' that I've seen, having watched all of the Season 4 and 5 episodes.

EDIT: On a side note, the only CBS DVD/Viacom-syndicated shows that I've ever run across on DVD that feature the 'V of Doom' were on the CBS/Timeless release of "The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams". Most of the others replaced the V with the CBS Distribution logo instead.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Hi, Matt--I haven't watched all the episodes; so far only about 20 of them from different points throughout the series. Thus far, they have all been complete and uncompressed. That doesn't guarantee that there isn't a shortened episode stuck in there somewhere, but my random sampling test indicates complete shows. (And I haven't seen the old Viacom close yet.)

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
In the later seasons they have the second half of the station identification break included (not the first half where the announcer says 'Cannon will return after station identification').

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well now we have an avalanche of new titles announced for release by VEI! "Longstreet" which while not a major Grail of mine is one that I will pick up when released. Also announced is "Nero Wolfe".

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Very pleased to see that The Magician and Evening Shade are coming out. I'll also try Longstreet and Super Force (the latter because of Patrick Macnee's involvement in it).

At some point, I may try The Immortal. I've seen an old promo for it on youtube, and it looks interesting.

I wonder what happened to the plans for Petrocelli.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Jack P said:
Well now we have an avalanche of new titles announced for release by VEI! "Longstreet" which while not a major Grail of mine is one that I will pick up when released. Also announced is "Nero Wolfe".

Jack P said:
And add "The Magician" and "The Immortal" to the list of upcoming titles too!

Those are the four that definitely caught my attention (Longstreet, Nero Wolfe, Magician, and Immortal). I think i will pick up all four when released. The fact that they are all one season should limit the impact to the pocketbook. No remastered prints, but hey we were probably looking at no releases at all if not provided this way.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Got my Cannon set the other day, the packaging looks great the episodes themselves less so. Evening Shades should be good to finish. Longstreet, The Magician, Nero Wolfe and The Immortal I'll most certainly get.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
HenryDuBrow said:
Got my Cannon set the other day, the packaging looks great the episodes themselves less so. Evening Shades should be good to finish. Longstreet, The Magician, Nero Wolfe and The Immortal I'll most certainly get.

I'll purchase the last four shows you mentioned as well.

Blurayfan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
I was watching my season 1 DVD of Hotel from CBS release..and the picture looks nothing like the VEI release…no jittering…picture is great! Its a shame VEI once again ruined another show.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Oh, for crying out loud...VEI doesn't even get to use the remastered season one from CBS?...I wasn't going to get HOTEL, but I'm more concerned about the implications for BARNABY JONES...I might have to forsake my 55" widescreen and go buy an old 21" tube tv at some yardsale if I'm at all going to survive the trauma of watching these VEI releases and having any hope of enjoyment...

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
The first season of Barnaby Jones goes for decent money as a trade-in. Now I'm glad i avoided the temptation and kept it based on what appears to be CBS holding back on the remastered seasons of some of the series.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
I don't understand why people are blaming VEI for the shoddy video quality of these releases?! They are just releasing what they were given, CBS is the one to blame for not remastering these series not VEI. CBS is el cheapo, most of their releases have music edits and possible episode edits as indicated by those stupid disclaimers on the back of every release.

VEI was a small budget outfit that only released maybe 2 or 3 major titles a year up until last year. I am still perplexed as to how they are able to release all these shows they have licensed from CBS- they must have received some capital from somewhere to allow them to acquire so much content?! They do not have the budget to remaster all these series they acquired the rights to nor should they IMO, that should be done by the company that owns the series not a licensee.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I thank VEI for releasing these shows on DVD. If you want to watch these shows on DVD in the best quality you can obtain then you will have to get the DVDS from VEI. They are the best you will find on DVD and probably will ever find. The only other option is to not watch these shows at all cause the quality bothers you. I say the shows are too good not to watch! Also the DVDS are a lot better quality than what people watched when the shows originally ran and watching them in syndication, usually with cut episodes. Also this might make a slight difference for some people. These shows should be watched in the 4:3 mode. In other words you should have black vertical bars on the sides of your TV when you watch them. Do not watch them in 16.9 widescreen! I am glad VEI is allowing fans to acquire these shows. All blame in regards to quality, etc is the fault of CBS. Shame on you CBS!

Take Care!
Robert

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
rmw650 said:
@Randall, you do have the option of just not buying them at all if the quality is less than par.
Yes, Richard W., and probably like your self, I will be supporting VEI with my purchasing of several of their current and future complete series releases, despite the foreknowledge that these have sub par and not remastered sources...I don't blame VEI and am glad they are giving them to us...it's a shame they have to work with what they have been given...I watch everything in the original aspect ratio if I can help it...but I am serious about finding an old 21" CRT television to watch them on...CANNON, BARNABY JONES, PETROCELLI, MAGICIAN, IMMORTAL etc, are just too good to not enjoy, but I would like to save myself the distraction and emotional aggravation of being all too conscious of a video source unworthy and inappropriate for a big widescreen presentation...nostalgia might be enhanced as well...

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I will continue supporting the VEI releases and I hope many others will too.

Cannon has never been given any effort by CBS to make it a successful release. They charged premium prices for half season sets of below average quality. At least with VEI we are getting the complete series. I would imagine this set from VEI will be all we will ever see for Cannon, but who knows.

I know this, if Cannon is ever given a proper high quality release, I will purchase it again. For me, the show is really good and would be worth it.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I wonder if it's really the fault of CBS or if VEI had the misguided goal of providing a consistent level of quality, deliberately opting instead for these older season 1 transfers in lieu of the remastered versions?

I hope that wherever My Three Sons hopefully ends up, that not only will the episodes be complete and unedited, but that we'll at least get the remastered versions of the first two seasons with their original audio restored.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
When Shout Factory released the Bilko full series set they used the previous CBS season one release in the box. Most of the remaining transfers were done outside of CBS but looked quite good.

On the other hand, remember all of the terrible releases Timeless did of product such as M Squad, Checkmate, and Arrest and Trial. My understanding is that they had to go to collectors to obtain some of the episodes but in any case most of the transfers were very poor.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Gary16 said:
When Shout Factory released the Bilko full series set they used the previous CBS season one release in the box. Most of the remaining transfers were done outside of CBS but looked quite good.

On the other hand, remember all of the terrible releases Timeless did of product such as M Squad, Checkmate, and Arrest and Trial. My understanding is that they had to go to collectors to obtain some of the episodes but in any case most of the transfers were very poor.
My understanding is that, in those days, Timeless was licensing rights to release copyrighted shows, but was not getting access to elements or any transfers. So, Timeless came up with everything themselves. I think that, with these CBS shows, CBS is supplying transfers. They are old (80s?) and not the best quality today, but they should be better than what Timeless released in the cases you mention, which were basically legally legit but bootleg quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks