What's new

Cannon And Others Coming Back Courtesy Of VEI (1 Viewer)

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I am hoping some of the other series' that VEI will be releasing from CBS will have better transfers than Cannon.

If the Barnaby Jones CBS remastered season 1 is not part of the upcoming VEI Complete Series set it doesn't make sense to me. You would think someone at either CBS or VEI would care enough about quality to provide / receive the best available transfers.

Or would CBS withhold the HD mastered transfers for some reason?

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
While remote, it is possible it was a VEI choice to not use season 1 of the remastered Hotel series for the reasons previously mentioned, that they would get complaints on why the remaining seasons looked so bad. If so, that might explain why Barnaby Jones was delayed because of the bad press on Hotel that they reversed their decision for Barnaby Jones and decided to include the remastered season 1. While probably not the case, it is still worth hoping for.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Strange that a company I'd never heard if before, Film Chest, got the remastered first season of One Step Beyond included in their recent 70-episodes DVD set but VEI did not for their CBS licensed releases. Still, I'm enjoying those episodes beyond season one as well it's great to have them. I'll also get all future VEI releases of interest, remastered or not.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
HenryDuBrow said:
Strange that a company I'd never heard if before, Film Chest, got the remastered first season of One Step Beyond included in their recent 70-episodes DVD set but VEI did not for their CBS licensed releases.

Those are all in the public domain, are they not? I don't see how CBS had any say in matters.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
LeoA said:
Those are all in the public domain, are they not? I don't see how CBS had any say in matters.
Exactly right. That's the problem with studios that remaster PD material.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Right, I forgot about that for a second. They still got that first remastered season, oddly enough VEI apparently didn't for their title releases.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
HenryDuBrow said:
Right, I forgot about that for a second. They still got that first remastered season, oddly enough VEI apparently didn't for their title releases.

Who got a remastered first season?

If you're still talking about One Step Beyond rather than something like Barnaby Jones (where I think the verdict is still out on what transfers were used for season 1?), there's nothing odd at all about it. The situation happened because it was free for the taking, unlike the situation that VEI is in with these officially licensed releases.

CBS had nothing to do with it and the publisher simply bought a copy of the CBS release and ripped the episodes and utilized those as a complement to what they independently sourced from collector's circles. You and I are just as free to clone that material and sell it if we wanted to, since it's public property now.

That's the risk with PD material. Not only could the bootleggers beat you to your potential customers with low quality 16 mm based releases if they're floating around out there, satisfying that demand for the program or turning off potential customers entirely due to the lower quality, but they can then proceed to legally use your remastered versions if you did make that investment for your own releases.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
LeoA said:

If you're still talking about One Step Beyond rather than something like Barnaby Jones (where I think the verdict is still out on what transfers were used for season 1?), there's nothing odd at all about it. The situation happened because it was free for the taking, unlike the situation that VEI is in with these officially licensed releases.

CBS had nothing to do with it and the publisher simply bought a copy of the CBS release and ripped the episodes and utilized those as a complement to what they independently sourced from collector's circles. You and I are just as free to clone that material and sell it if we wanted to, since it's public property now.

That's the risk with PD material. Not only could the bootleggers beat you to your potential customers with low quality 16 mm based releases if they're floating around out there, satisfying that demand for the program or turning off potential customers entirely due to the lower quality, but they can then proceed to legally use your remastered versions if you did make that investment for your own releases.
I give CBS credit for attempting to put out the first quality release of a PD series in the hope that enough people would buy it over the low quality copies out there but such was not the case. So we will likely never see the remaining episodes remastered.

Blurayfan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
Ron Lee Green said:
VEI is having a Black Friday sale. It looks like you can get 20% off the Cannon and Hotel sets, bringing it down to the $80 range + free shipping.

http://www.visualentertainment.tv/pages/blackfriday
I wish I had waited for the sale…but Hotel is not even worth 80 dollars….IMO the show is only worth $50…which comes out to $10 a season….the video quality is too awful to be worth anymore in price.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
LeoA said:

Talking about that first OSB season, Film Chest included the remastered season didn't they(?). That's what I've been informed here anyway and found odd when VEI didn't with Hotel.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
HenryDuBrow said:
Talking about that first OSB season, Film Chest included the remastered season didn't they(?). That's what I've been informed here anyway and found odd when VEI didn't with Hotel.

I don't find it odd at all. I'm sure CBS did not supply VEI with the remastered first season for any of their stalled series, including Mod Squad, Hotel, and probably Barnaby Jones. VEI works with what CBS gives them; nothing more.

I'm sure Film Chest copied the remastered first season from existing DVDs that are in public domain.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
phenri said:
I don't find it odd at all. I'm sure CBS did not supply VEI with the remastered first season for any of their stalled series, including Mod Squad, Hotel, and probably Barnaby Jones. VEI works with what CBS gives them; nothing more.

I'm sure Film Chest copied the remastered first season from existing DVDs that are in public domain.
Film Chest copied the remastered first season of OSB from the DVD released by CBS since the episodes were PD.
When Shout Factory put out the full series of Sgt. Bilko they used the CBS remastered first season including the original CBS labeling and packaging so they had to have gotten than legally from CBS.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
CBS didn't remaster those though.

The syndication bible notes that only 22 miscellaneous episodes have HD transfers for The Phil Silvers Show, which are what was used for 2006's 50th anniversary release (Although apparently some didn't make the cut or perhaps they started on season 1 afterwards before changing their plans mid-stream and cancelling further remastering, since the DVD Talk review says this collection was 18 rather than 22 episodes).

The season 1 release from 2010 by CBS on the other hand not only wasn't remastered, it reportedly didn't even use the existing HD masters for the season 1 episodes that were already done for that earlier best-of anniversary collection. And the Shout Factory complete series set was confirmed around here as not utilizing those HD masters for the post season 1 episodes that were already remastered for the old 50th anniversary set.

So while it's the CBS season 1 discs that Shout Factory had access to, none of what they received throughout all five seasons included the CBS HD masters for any of those 22 episodes.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
LeoA said:
CBS didn't remaster those though.

The syndication bible notes that only 22 miscellaneous episodes have HD transfers for The Phil Silvers Show, which are what was used for 2006's 50th anniversary release (Although apparently some didn't make the cut or perhaps they started on season 1 afterwards before changing their plans mid-stream and cancelling further remastering, since the DVD Talk review says this collection was 18 rather than 22 episodes).

The season 1 release from 2010 by CBS on the other hand not only wasn't remastered, it reportedly didn't even use the existing HD masters for the season 1 episodes that were already done for that earlier best-of anniversary collection. And the Shout Factory complete series set was confirmed around here as not utilizing those HD masters for the post season 1 episodes that were already remastered for the old 50th anniversary set.

So while it's the CBS season 1 discs that Shout Factory had access to, none of what they received throughout all five seasons included the CBS HD masters for any of those 22 episodes.
Were there five seasons or four ?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
LouA said:
CBS didn't remaster the season 1 episodes of The Phil Silvers Show when they released their set.

So while it's the CBS season 1 discs that Shout Factory had access to, none of what they received throughout all five seasons utilized any CBS HD masters.

Were there five seasons or four ?

Sorry, I was thinking that there were five seasons even though the set was right here in view as I typed that.

I blame watching a lot of The Dick Van Dyke Show so much lately with its 5 season run that I think is just about the perfect amount for a great show (Although if a good show is able to do the unlikely and keep the magic going even longer, I'm not about to complain). :)

Either way, everything except my incorrect season count is able to be collaborated with past threads around here, although I can't vouch for the accuracy of those sources. I never got around to buying the 50th anniversary set myself and can't personally compare transfers, although I'll likely get it someday to satisfy my curiosity on a few things since it can be had so cheaply.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I amended my post with a couple of quotes that will hopefully clear things up and make the recent course of conversation in here a bit more clear.

The gist is that we've been curious about why the season 1 remastered HD transfers of Hotel weren't utilized here for VEI's own set that CBS had prepared for their own earlier DVD release. One theory as we speculate why this happened is that perhaps it's CBS that hasn't allowed them access to these superior transfers. So naturally, we've been discussing other outside releases of CBS controlled content and whether or not those publishers had access to any modern transfers that exist at CBS.

So far the answer seems to be that no 3rd party DVD publisher has had access to the modern transfers of any classic CBS properties that remain under copyright protection and have been remastered in the 2000's. So if you're interested in something like the Barnaby Jones release and already own the remastered season 1 CBS release, you're going to want to hold onto it.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Definitely holding on to my Barnaby Jones season 1 release. And to think I almost traded it in for $30.

I'm curious about Mod Squad. I heard that the first few seasons looked really good from VEI but that the later seasons were not as good. I assumed that this was because VEI had access to CBS remastered versions for the early seasons. Now I'm not so sure based on comments here. Does any one know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks