What's new

Cannon And Others Coming Back Courtesy Of VEI (2 Viewers)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
LeoA said:
So if you're interested in something like the Barnaby Jones release and already own the remastered season 1 CBS release, you're going to want to hold onto it.
I gather from what you said that the same applies to Hotel. I hope that VEI puts out separate releases of the remaining ones of that, and not just this big release.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
bmasters9 said:
I gather from what you said that the same applies to Hotel. I hope that VEI puts out separate releases of the remaining ones of that, and not just this big release.

It may take close to a year before all the remaining seasons are released individually. but I think they've always done that in the past. However, in the long run it might actually cost just as much or more to buy the remaining individually seasons separately than to buy the complete set. Especially, since they seem to provide pretty decent discounts on the complete sets a few months after release.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
bmasters9 said:

That's my understanding from reading this thread. VEI's complete release for Hotel lacks the remastered versions of season 1's episodes that CBS had earlier released themselves. It's not a show that I'm familiar with, but I believe I've correctly summed up the situation and the speculation that CBS simply doesn't make these nicer transfers available to outsiders for use.

Personally, I'm inclined to believe that VEI had the mistaken belief that a more consistent presentation was desirable over a wide quality disparity as their viewers transition from CBS remastered episodes to decades old transfers for the rest. I feel this was intentional on their part rather than a decision forced upon them by CBS and their contract with them.

If so, hopefully they're paying attention and modify their plans accordingly, since clearly we want the opposite situation. :)

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
To clear up some speculation, VEI DID use remastered prints of seasons 1 and 2 on their release of The Mod Squad. Only seasons 3-5 (the seasons that CBS did NOT release themselves) were sourced from unremastered but good quality prints.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
mattfire64 said:
To clear up some speculation, VEI DID use remastered prints of seasons 1 and 2 on their release of The Mod Squad. Only seasons 3-5 (the seasons that CBS did NOT release themselves) were sourced from unremastered but good quality prints.

That is what I thought. In addition, I believe I read that the later Mod Squad seasons came from World Vision and not CBS. So there are a few inconsistencies with how VEI licensed from CBS in the past. With the recent Cannon and Sentinel releases there were no CBS remastered seasons, so Hotel was the first of this new deal where CBS has remastered prints but they did not show up on the VEI release. I guess we will know soon enough when Barnaby Jones ships whether this trend continues or if it was specific to just Hotel.

Jimmyr1960

Agent
Real Name
Jim
I just found another problem with the Cannon set. Season 4. The episode called The Prisoner. At the 7:58 point, the episode begins to skip forward. It clears up at the 8:12 mark. At first this doesn't seem to be a big deal. Until I realized that the episode run time displays 42 minutes. All other episodes are around 50 minutes. That means this one skips 8 minutes. I verified this with a friend who also has the set. VEI certainly seems to have their issues.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Jimmyr1960 said:
I just found another problem with the Cannon set. Season 4. The episode called The Prisoner. At the 7:58 point, the episode begins to skip forward. It clears up at the 8:12 mark. At first this doesn't seem to be a big deal. Until I realized that the episode run time displays 42 minutes. All other episodes are around 50 minutes. That means this one skips 8 minutes. I verified this with a friend who also has the set. VEI certainly seems to have their issues.

Is this due to bad disc sectors from shoddy manufacturing?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
For quite awhile, I've been very reluctant to purchase any further VEI released shows with a lot of seasons (or full season sets), largely due to shoddy manufacturing.

At the present time, I'm only willing to purchase one-season wonders, or two-season wonders released as a full series set.

Though if I see some VEI released complete season sets at Costco, I might consider buying some shows. (Such as The Equalizer).

I'll only do it this way, largely due to Costco's return policy which is refunds with no questions asked. (At my local Costco outlets, they will only do refunds. They don't do exchanges at all).

Previously I purchased all the seasons of Mod Squad at Costco, knowing that I could return all of the season sets if there are any defective discs. (Fortunately in the end, it turned out my Samsung computer dvd-rom drive could read all the VEI Mod Squad discs without any errors).

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
Jimmyr1960 said:

Exactly. I had the same problem on my set as well. As I said before, after buying the Cannon set I've decided not to purchase anymore from VEI.

I wish another company would get the rights to Cannon and give it a top notch release.

Kruzer31

Agent
Real Name
Doug
I checked my disc and had the same problem. I e-mailed their customer service department and they asked for my mailing address and are going to send me a replacement disc. We will see if the problem has been corrected. At least they responded quickly!

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Kruzer31 said:
I checked my disc and had the same problem. I e-mailed their customer service department and they asked for my mailing address and are going to send me a replacement disc. We will see if the problem has been corrected. At least they responded quickly!

Thanks for the tip - I just watched that episode last night and found the same problem. I'm glad to hear that VEI will rectify the issue. I've bought a number of things from VEI over the last 4 years and haven't had any problems up til now, but I wasn't going to get the last two seasons of Cannon from CBS so I'm just gonna have to make the best of it. The only other thing I really want from CBS via VEI is Barnaby Jones. I'm hoping the slight delay in that release means they are ironing out some of the glitches. But as with Cannon, I really, really want Barnaby Jones and will learn to live with what I get because CBS has run home to mama and isn't releasing anything.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Kruzer31 said:

Checked mine tonight and the same issue. I imagine replacement disks will be sent out.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
If it plays well on some computers, would it help to make a copy of the disc there or would that disc also have the problem when played on a DVD player?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
HenryDuBrow said:
If it plays well on some computers, would it help to make a copy of the disc there or would that disc also have the problem when played on a DVD player?

No idea. I don't bother burning copies of movie/tv discs. Largely a waste nowadays,.

I just watch movies/tv shows dvd discs on the computer, where the computer is connected to the large screen tv via hdmi.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I checked my Cannon disc and it has the same problem. I emailed VEI yesterday and they are sending out a replacement for me. Hope this fixes the problem. Keeping my fingers crossed that nothing like this happens with Barnaby Jones.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
So far it doesn't appear that anyone has stated they didn't have the problem, which means it could be inherent in what was used to stamp the disks. If so, the replacement would be the same unless they fixed the issue at the source and did a new run on that disk.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I checked my disc 3 from season 4 and there is the same problem. The time counter doesn't skip, it continues counting - but the video starts to look like it is fast forwarding through parts of it. This happens off and on from about 7:58 until about the 8:12 mark. The episode run time shows 41:57.

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
ChrisALM said:
I checked my disc 3 from season 4 and there is the same problem. The time counter doesn't skip, it continues counting - but the video starts to look like it is fast forwarding through parts of it. This happens off and on from about 7:58 until about the 8:12 mark. The episode run time shows 41:57.
It's like they recorded an editing session and left it in. Lol

Glad you all caught this & reported it for those of us who haven't purchased yet, but wish to. (Like me.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks