What's new

Calgary HT Meet (1 Viewer)

Chris M

Second Unit
That's an excellent idea Dale. I was just up there yesterday and saw the Champaigne RP91 on display, and I know they have a 4700 around somewhere :)
I'll do that. I have a sales guy that I buy stuff off of all the time. I'm sure he'll help us out!
Chris.

Chris M

Second Unit
Okay, current people count:

Me and my wife,

Mike & Dave (friends)

Dean Cooper ? If he can make it

Dale_s

Stacey_V

7 should be comfy, but wouldn't mind a nother 1 or 2, just to make it more fun!

Chris.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Would love to come, but Feb 23 is a work day for me. 10-5. What time do these things usually end? by the way, I work not far from Franklin Station. Just for the record, there is a place up on 32 near Barlow. I have never been there to see what they have on display. I believe the name is Holmes Theater and Automation. They carry Paradigm and PSB. Might be worth a shot. I've also never been to the A&B up there. Would definitely be a treat. I'm very curious as to what you guys did to piss off the Smart Home guys. Those guys collectively seem like the best salesguys around for specialty stores. Them and General Audio. It may even be worth a trip downtown if you guys want some demos. Enjoy!

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
Paul....

The Smart Home problem is just like the Caramilk secret...we may never know.

Anyway, I'm not losing sleep over it. I don't like the idea that they are somehow upset at "us", although I think it happened at a meet that I never attended, ours in March seemed to go very well.

I'm not really concerned as to where we go, I'm just looking forward to getting together with like minded folk. See you all at the end of the month!

Regards,

Stacey

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
Chris M....I have a friend that will probably attend as well. He was at the one in March of last year. His name is Aaron...you may or may not remember him. He is not so much a hardware guy, so much as he is a software guru...he has more DVD's than I can ever hope to get. It's fair to say that his "tastes" differ from mine. :D
Are we going to check out anyone's HT setup? Or are we just going to demo hardware at retail shops? It doesn't matter to me...
Later,
Stacey

Chris M

Second Unit
Stacey, Sounds great, I was figuring to demo my HT setup... again with a couple different DVD players, and some different audio/video (even DVD-a).
Paul, I'm not aware of that place, but sounds very interesting.
I'm figuring the meet will go until around 5pm-ish, depending on what point people get bored :D
Chris.

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
I have visited the Holmes HT store on 32nd Ave. beside Active Components. Unfortunately they are not open on the weekends, nor are they really a retail storefront. The store is more of an office although they do have a small showroom. They also have an online presence at http://www.holmestheater.com which explains their business offerings.
I did spend some time there one weekday, but I quickly found that they were more interested in designing, building and supplying complete home theaters and multi-room solutions. They aren't really into selling individual components, though they will order any product they carry for you. Not sure about pricing, but I suspect it's higher than the retail stores like A&B, FS, Soundsaround, and Visions. Probably more like Smart Home, K&W, General Audio, Loyalty Sound and Sounds of Music, but again, more interested in a 'from the ground-up' HT project.
Anyhow, I too would like to know a little more about the Smart Home issue, but will have to defer to Michael_TLV since he's the one who brought it up. If it's best not discussed in public, then feel free to contact me personally. I would really like to find out what led to your comment. I have refrained from contacting Rod at Smart Home to query him, as I'm still unsure that this was related to our meeting last March.
Anyhow, I'm looking forward to our meeting later this month. I suspect we'll have a good time regardless of where we go or what we do - it's always fun to share experiences with like-minded individuals.

Jeff Gibson

Auditioning
If there's still room for me, I'd love to come hang out with you guys for the day. Just let me know the time and place and if I should bring anything in the way of software(fairly good selection) or hardware(somewhat more limited).

I should be able to make it provided that nothing comes up at work.

Jeff

Chris M

Second Unit
Jeff, we'll be happy to have you join us! The only thing we're looking for is good DVD-A software and a variety of progressive scan players to test

Chris.

As we get closer to the date, I'll post the address. The time will be 10am Saturday Feb. 23rd.

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

As I mentioned, I will be happy to bring the DVD-A titles that I own. They are:

The Corrs: In Blue

Steely Dan: Two Against Nature

Blue Man Group: Audio

Barenaked Ladies: Maroon

I can also bring my DTS CDs which include:

Alan Parson's - On Air

Mystic Moods - The Bright Side of the Moon

Don Henley - The End of Innocence

Andre Previn - Holst's The Planets

Diana Krall - Love Scenes

DTS Music Sampler Vol. 1

Lastly, I'll also bring along a few concert DVDs:

U2 - Rattle and Hum

Eagles - Hell Freezes Over

Don Henley - Live Inside Job

Fleetwood Mac - The Dance

Sting - Brand New Day Tour

Music for Montserrat

I know we'll only get time to sample a few of the above, but at least they're easy to carry. Looking forward to the meeting!

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Well I'm still good to go for the 23rd. I might show up a little latter, between 10 and 10:30 for sure depending on the traffic on the way down. I could bring along my Xbox to demo out there too if you guys would like, I have the DVD and component kits for it. Let me know.

Dean

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm... got 2 TV's Chris? If Dean brings his XBox and I bring mine, we could have a fun session of multiplayer Halo. I'ld supply the hub and cables... :D
Seriously, I don't expect us to turn this into a gaming sig (special interest group), but if the interest is there, I am willing to bring my XBox as well. I don't have the component connection kit, but do have the Advanced AV pack with s-video and optical digital out (as well as the DVD playback kit). I also have an optical to coaxial converter which I use with my XBox, allowing me to easily run the digital audio around my room to the AV receiver.
Just let us know if you want Dean and/or I to bring our consoles along.

Chris M

Second Unit
Dale... hehe, yeah, I have a 27" CRT as well, and a 2nd Sony receiver with 3 speakers for it, so if you like you can bring it, and we can see where it'll go. It might be fun. We can try them out if we have time. I have been wanting to see what X-Box would look like on my bigscreen in Hidef :)
Sounds cool!
Chris.

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I won't bring my Xbox this time around, but let's keep it in mind for a LAN night in the future. I would really like to do an Xbox Halo night.
If no one has DOA3, I can maybe bring mine along. I think Chris would get a kick out of seeing it in 480P on his new RPTV. :D
Regards,
Stacey

Chris M

Second Unit
Damn straight I would! Too bad there are no 1080i games available yet :frowning: But games in 5.1 would also be real cool!
Chris.

Sean Prior

Auditioning
Sorry for the really late reply, if there's any room left maybe I could squeeze in. I always seem to forget about the local home theater section. Seems I have a break next week so I'm all up for another meet. Let me know if there's any room left Chris.

-Sean

Chris M

Second Unit
Well, it will be pretty tight, but I'm sure we can all get in there, we'll figure something out :)
I have confirmation that I can get ahold of a Pana RP91 for progressive and DVD-A, and a Tosh 3750 for progressive and other stuff, for the day of the 23rd.
So, this is good stuff.
Chris.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Well if it ends at 5pm then I'm out.

Stacey, I think I owuld love to get an Xbox but I don't think I'd be any good at any of the games. I tried it briefly at the Southcenter Electronics Boutique with a game called Nightcrawlers or something, and was horrible at it. How do you like that huge controller?

Chris M

Second Unit
Okay, it's coming down to the line. I'd like a show of hands for who will be there.
Here is what is happening:
1) I will have Pana RP91 to test progressive signal, DVD-A, scaling
2) Everyone arrives at 10am Saturday Feb. 23rd.
3) This goes until we get tired!
4) X-Box's will be available on the 2 TV's :)
5) We'll check out A&B sound for DVD buying in the NE
My address:
Just email me to find out! My email link is above
Chris.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks