What's new

Calgary HT Meet (1 Viewer)

Chris M

Second Unit
Thinking more and more, I'd really like to do this! Perhaps at my apartment, since it doesn't look like too many people would be interested. I'd really like to offer the following suggestions:
1) Get ahold of 3 different progressive players (ie. RP91/56, Tosh 4700, JVC, etc)
2) Learn about the best way to setup speakers for both movies and audio
3) Watch a movie or 2
4) Maybe have Michael TLV demonstrate some of his simple calibration techniques on my display? :D
Anything else that can be thought of? I can probably seat about 7 or so comfortably.
I'm in SE by Marlborough Mall and the Franklin train station.
Here's what we have to work with:Link Removed
Thanks,
Chris

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Count me in... I really don't have much free time these days, but I'll definitely try to make time in my schedule for an event like this. It's always fun to get together with like-minded individuals to discuss our obsessions. :)
Choose a date and hopefully it'll work into my schedule. TTYL...

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Agreed. I'm piss broke(going to school till March 1st) but I know I'll find a way down to Calgary for a meet. Give me a date all and I'll do my best to be there!

Chris, your apartment sounds great. I really would like to hear some Energy's doing the finest, since I'm in API land too.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I am always interested in such events, but I am on the road touring for much of February so that kills the month.

I should mention that the collective group are not welcome back at Smart Home as a result of what happened last time.

Regards

Chris M

Second Unit
Okay, here are my weekends available:

Feb: 6,7, 23,24

Mar: 2,3

Let's pick one of those days!

Chris.

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
Michael....

I would really like to know why we are not welcome back at Smart Home. Aside from nobody buying anything, what is their problem? I do not recall any problems.

Anyway....

Let me know what dates are decided on. I'm good for most anytime, except for around the first weekend in March.

Regards,

Stacey

Chris M

Second Unit
I would really like to know why we are not welcome back at Smart Home. Aside from nobody buying anything, what is their problem? I do not recall any problems.
Rumour is that the group was rude to staff and customers and got in the way. Doesn't sound too nice. Kinda glad I missed the last one. The one in march? was nice. I enjoyed that one. Too bad you missed it Stacey.

Chris

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Hey guys,

I'd be up to driving down to Calgary for another meet. Michael Hein, you could grab a ride with me if you want. Put my vote in for Feb the 23rd.

Dean

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Feb. 23rd sounds fine by me.

Re: the Smart Home issue... unless I missed another meet at Smart Home (other than the one I organized last March), I am somewhat offended that they feel we are not welcome.

If anything was said or done by members at that meet, it certainly wasn't brought to my attention. I even went back a week later to thank them for hosting us, and there were no complaints passed on to me.

Actually, if anything, at that meet they were the ones that were disorganized. We had made arrangements to be met by Rod at 10am and although we were on time, he showed up an hour and a half late. When other staff started filling in for him, things just sort of fell into place, with everyone demoing things in small groups.

Of course the real annoyance about that meet for me was that I wrote a nice report with some pictures and it was lost during the forum conversions that happened around that time.

Anyways, I hope it's just a minor misunderstanding, but if they truly don't feel we are welcome, then I guess they lose out on my B&W speaker purchase when I'm ready for it.

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with Dale on this one...I attended the last meeting in March, and there were no problems reported. If Smart Home had any complaints, it should have been brought forward immediately. Was there another meeting that perhaps I missed?

Anyway, I am OK for the end of February. Lets keep the dialogue open....

Regards,

Stacey

Chris M

Second Unit
Okay, Feb 23rd seems a great date. Now for the specifics:
1) Anyone have a progressive player or 2 to test/compare at my place?
2) Do we want to go anywhere else (got a Futureshop & A&B sound by my place)
3) What time? 10am is good for me
4) Any particular movies (I have quite a selection :))
Thanks for your input guys!
Chris.

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Chris:

Do you have a DVD Audio capable player, or are you evaluating progressive scan units because you want a new player to go with that new tv of yours? I don't have either really... my Pioneer DV-434 claims to be progressive scan while it has been shown that it truly isn't. That's OK, I only got it because they were out of stock on the 343 and they gave me the 434 for the same price.

I ask about the DVD-A capability because Stacey mentioned in another thread (the Tolsky review of Queen: A Night at the Opera DVD-A) that he hadn't seen (heard) any DVD-A yet. I offered to bring the 3 DVD-A discs that I own, for our evaluation, but if your player doesn't support DVD-A then we can only look at/listen to the Dolby Digital or DTS mix that is also provided on these discs.

As for movie material, I'm also open to suggestions. If we do decide to do store visits this time around, I think the NE Future Shop and A&B Sound are more than adequate. There aren't any decent home theater shops that I know of in the NE, so a disc buying session would be sufficient for me.

Are we also going to do a lunch similar to what I had arranged? There are lots of restaurants in the NE corridor along 32nd Ave, so choice shouldn't be tough.

I'ld be happy with meeting at 10:00am at your place, then heading off to the FS/A&B Sound for a shopping spree, then meeting at a local restaurant for lunch. Then back to your place for a disc/player evaluation session (assuming someone offers up some progressive players for you to look at).

Let me know... of course if there are any titles in my collection you want me to bring, I'm willing.

Chris M

Second Unit
I have a friend who has a Pana RP91 and is interested in attending, still waiting to hear back from him. That player is the one I think I'll be wanting to get, plus it has DVD-A.
The Toshiba 4700 has DVD-A as well, and it's one I'm kinda considering.
Last is a new JVC Progressive, I have a friend who has one, but his girlfriend won't let it leave the house :frowning:
I think the rest of your plan sounds great. I did notice your U2 Rattle & Hum DVD, that might be nice to see/hear on my system :)
oh, for those wondering how loud it can be in an apartment... I can put it pretty damn loud.. the neighbours have NEVER complained... even with ID4 at near reference at 3 in the morning... oh my! :D
Chris.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
As much as I want to go I'm going to have to decline for this trip. The end of February is my last week of school and I have my Finals and Inter-provincial tests. I also have a shop project that's very important.
Next time guys. Sorry Dean I would have split the fuel with you but its probably the worst week of the year for me to go spend a day south. And if I know me, I would end up in Banff for the entire weekend :)

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

Since A&B Sound carries both the Panasonic and Toshiba players, it might be worth a call to them. Perhaps they have a floor model of each that we can evaluate? If we give them enough notice, they may even set them up in the same room. Or better yet, with a credit card deposit, let us take them back to your place to evaluate using your display.

Just an option... explain to them that it's for a local group of home theater enthusiasts and they might come through for you. Also mention that we are coming to their store for a DVD shopping spree as part of our meeting, and that might help as well.

Good luck...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eliedisdisusa
Recent bookmarks