What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Avatar: The Way of Water (4k UHD) (3D Blu-ray) (Blu-ray) and Avatar (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
I accidentally preordered the 3D Blu-ray instead of the UHD from Best Buy last night, and unfortunately, Best Buy will not let me cancel my preorder because it is already "Ready for packaging" 4 weeks out from release :rolleyes:

I guess I'll be digging out my Quest 2 to watch the 3D version...

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Peter Yee

Premium
Bill has an update that notes: "[Editor’s Update: The Blu-ray 3D version of the film will be split across two BD-50 discs.]" I don't think any of my 3D discs have ever been split. Probably good for a bladder break. ;)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I accidentally preordered the 3D Blu-ray instead of the UHD from Best Buy last night, and unfortunately, Best Buy will not let me cancel my preorder because it is already "Ready for packaging" 4 weeks out from release :rolleyes:

I guess I'll be digging out my Quest 2 to watch the 3D version...

That's gotta be BS. They have a copy 4 weeks out? I don't think so.

Did you try calling customer service on this?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Bill has an update that notes: "[Editor’s Update: The Blu-ray 3D version of the film will be split across two BD-50 discs.]" I don't think any of my 3D discs have ever been split. Probably good for a bladder break. ;)

I don't think I mind that. However, for the extra bandwidth they gained, they could have put Atmos on the disc.

Of course, perhaps, Disney probably used Atmos exclusively on 4k to prompt 3D fans to buy two copies of the film.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Of course, perhaps, Disney probably used Atmos exclusively on 4k to prompt 3D fans to buy two copies of the film.

I doubt physical media sells enough in this day and age that they expect fans to buy multiple copies. I think it’s simply the matter that Disney’s Atmos policy for physical media has always been “UHD only” and they’re not changing that now.

(I am surprised they didn’t combine the 4K and the 3D into a single package like they did with Alita: Battle Angel, but I’m guessing they’re figuring there are fewer people who want to watch it in 3D at home overall and are trying to save money by not adding those 3D discs to a 4K set if they think most 4K buyers won’t use it.)

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Does BestBuy charge you immediately for disc preorders or upon shipping?

That's an expensive 3D release. Thankfully I have a $5 coupon.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
No extended cut in the 4K for Avatar?
Might wait then until they inevitably release it, when anoter Avatar movie is released in theaters. :D

Peter Yee

Premium
Thanks for that information, Brian. That's just currently over $70 before shipping charges. I am guessing roughly the same price if you bought both versions separately here in the U.S.
The 3D and steel books through Best Buy with the aforementioned $5 off (for those that have one of those) run about $74 with tax and free shipping. And that's inclusive of two digital copies, so you could probably sell off one and get everything back down to $70. Too bad we can't have everything in one package like Alita or Japan.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Thanks for that information, Brian. That's just currently over $70 before shipping charges. I am guessing roughly the same price if you bought both versions separately here in the U.S.
$105.39 shipped, so likely more expensive than buying them both separately in the US, plus you don't get a digital copy. There don't appear to be any discounts listed on it currently, so if they operate like amazon US, it may come down by 30% prior to street date, which would put it at about $85 shipped, so still probably not a benefit to importing it vs double-dipping here. At least the option is there! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

MikeDE

Second Unit
Looks like the 2D can be pre-ordered on Amazon, but the 3D is a “don't know when or if this item will be back in stock”.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For those looking for a 4K/3D combo, they are selling it that way in Japan.

Friendly reminder that those Movienex 4K/3D combos are not American-audience friendly.

By that I mean, their discs do not include an English language forced subtitle/foreign language track. Anytime a character speaks (or uses sign language) in a non-English language where the dialog would be subtitled onscreen, the disc does not include those translations in English, only Japanese. This film contains a significant amount of subtitled dialogue, which makes that a huge omission rendering the movie non-sensical without it.

The discs generally include English SDH subtitles for the hearing impaired for the entire film, but that means you have to watch the entire film with subtitles to get the translations.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yes, that was especially tedious on the Japanese release of Shang-Chi. Not unwatchable, but moderately annoying.

VisionMan

Grip
Real Name
David
That is unfortunate situation. I watched the movie in an IMAX theater in 3-D. However, I'll be purchasing 4K UHD because I'm about to transition from having a 3-D capable display in my main HT to newer OLED model that doesn't have 3-D capability. In my main HT I have a 7.2.4 setup. In the future, I plan on setting up my old 4K/3-D OLED in another room as my 3-D theater, but without any Atmos speakers. In the meantime, I'm going to limit my 3-D purchases to only catalog titles that get released on 3-D.
I agree it's unfortunate, but also unfortunate is that the Atmos mix does not utilize the front wides. (All too common, sad to say.) But if I up-mix the 7.1 on the 3D version, (my preferred format for this) the DTS Neural-X up mixer will engage the front wides, effectively giving me a 9.4.1 mix. We'll see how it sounds.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
$105.39 shipped, so likely more expensive than buying them both separately in the US, plus you don't get a digital copy. There don't appear to be any discounts listed on it currently, so if they operate like amazon US, it may come down by 30% prior to street date, which would put it at about $85 shipped, so still probably not a benefit to importing it vs double-dipping here. At least the option is there! :thumbs-up-smiley:
YesAsia has it listed for $76.47 USD with free shipping (though slow at 7-14 business days).

I used to order from this site regularly in the past. However, it's been a long time since my last order. (They still had an address more than a decade old on file for me.) So, I can't say with certainty that they are still as reliable as they used to be.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Why is it most North American Blu-ray 3D releases (generally-spkng) have always included the 3-D version on a separate disc, while their UK/Euro and Australasian counterparts were/are most often released as hybrid discs (i.e. 2D and 3D on same disc)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks