What's new

Buy Sony 555es or wait? (1 Viewer)

John Royster

Screenwriter
I need a new CD player and really like the sony 555es SACD player. I'm mainly interested in redbook playback.

So my dilema is should I go ahead and snag one up or wait for players with better bass management? I'm don't really like multichannel music, do most SACDs have high resolution stereo?

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
Does anybody know if the 555es possesses a phantom center setting? I prefer not to use my center channel for multichannel music since it is not perfectly matched to my mains and would find this feature useful.

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
I'll jump in as well.
Have a search in this forum regarding this player and redbook playback. You will probably download more information than you require. Thus, I will make an executive summary because this player is rapidly becoming extinct as it has been discontinued. It is a fantastic redbook player.
Oade Bros. apparently has a few that they have received very recently.

David

Chip E

Screenwriter
"Thus, I will make an executive summary because this player is rapidly becoming extinct as it has been discontinued."
Oade bros, i beleve is trying to get another shipment of tripple 5's. As far as i know, this player has NOT been discontinued yet. J&R has'm in stock and i've heard nothing about them being discontinued.
David,
Care to fill us in? i'm curious if you have definate information. Thanks.
"Dzung, the bass management/channel options include phantom centre, no problemo! Best wishes!"
Thanks for clearing that up Rachael.

John Royster

Screenwriter
Thanks guys,
The only thing I'm not sure of is the build quality and strength of the carousel. I'm gonna go buy one, I DID win a grand at the gambling boat so I gotta blow it somehow. :)

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
I talked to Oade this morning. They had received 10 555ES yesterday and after I took one they had 5 left (pretty good turnover if you ask me). The price was $595 + $25 shipping. They said the 222ES was definitely discontinued; they hadn't heard any definite word on the 555ES...

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Just got off the phone with Sony. I was told by Sony US about 2 weeks ago that the SCD-C555ES was discontinued. I phoned Sony US again today and they couldn't hardly tell me anything except giving me phone numbers to play tag with their employees. Frustrated, I phoned Sony Canada, and they said that, indeed, the SCD-C555ES WAS NOT being discontinued at this time. In fact he said that they had "quite a few" (wouldn't tell me exact number though) SCD-C555ES's in their warehouse.
Sorry for spreading the misinformation given to me by Sony US, but this is good news.
David

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, the 'C555ES is an excellent value these days at around $600. As Chip said, build quality is first-rate. The player weighs 24 lbs., 5 oz. and is very solid. Get one while you can. I've read rumors on message boards, and I have no clue as to their validity, that Sony will be not releasing new SACD/CD players this year. Supposedly, all new SACD players will incorporate DVD playback. Let me stress, however, that this is just a rumor. I'm not sure that anyone has concrete information one way or the other. All we do know is that Sony has not announced the release of any new non-DVD SACD players. In any event, the 'C555ES is a steal, so grab one and don't look back!

JonDimasi

Auditioning
Supposedly, all new SACD players will incorporate DVD playback. ............... just a word on this last comment... what i heard was the opposite... all new sony dvd players will support sacd playback

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jon, I don't know when or if Sony plans on incorporating SACD playback in all of its DVD players. It hasn't happened yet. Sony has released the DVP-NS315, 'NS415, 'NS715P, 'NC615, and 'NC655P in the past couple of months that do not play SACDs. In addition, I read in a home-theater magazine a couple of months ago -- The Perfect Vision, as I recall -- that Sony would release the DVP-CX875P megachanger later this year. It will offer progressive-scan, but no SACD playback.

Thus far, Sony is supposed to be releasing the SACD-compatible DVP-NS755V as a replacement for the 'NS500V and 'NS999ES as a replacement for the 'S9000ES. I also read an Australian review for an SACD-compatible 'NS905V that will replace the 'NS900V, but I don't know if it will be made available in the US. Thus far, I have heard nothing about a replacement for the 'NC650V. So, Sony is including SACD capability in some DVD players, but only in some. As I said, it remains to be seen whether Sony will release new non-DVD-compatible SACD players this year.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, I finally broke down and purchased a 555ES while they are still available (Keith, Sony should give you a commission on these things :) ). For anyone interested, OneCall has a few in stock for $595, including shipping.
I have only tried out redbook CD's so far, since my interconnect cable order for the 5.1 inputs did not arrive until this morning. My initial impression -- this player's redbook CD performance is as good as all the claims here on HTF. Using the standard analog outputs, the 555ES did not exhibit the same "digital edginess" that I experienced both with my old entry level Sony carousel player (digitally connected) or when I perform an A/B comparison on the 555ES, switching between the analog and digital connections. Also, bass response seems fuller and better defined through the 555ES's DACs than through my Pioneer Elite 47TX receiver's DACs.
This unit is built like a tank. It weighs more than some receivers I've owned. So far, I have only one complaint -- the disc ex-change and disc skip buttons on the player are much smaller and more difficult to see than on my old Sony carousel player. These buttons, along with the open/close and power buttons, are the only ones I usually use on the player -- all other functions are usually performed via the remote. Why didn't Sony take this into account?
I should be able to try out the player's SACD performance this weekend. The player came with two classic SACDs, and I have three titles in transit from Digital Eyes -- James Taylor: Hourglass, Carole King: Tapestry, and Diana Krall: The Look of Love. I own the latter two on CD (Tapestry is the gold master), so I should be able to get a decent comparison.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I've been on the fence about the 555ES, too, and I'm still holding off. Hope this news that it hasn't been discontinued is true...
The primary reason I'm holding off now is to see how the upcoming Philips 963SA DVD/SACD player pans out. While I was in the market for a standalone SACD player, the Philips looks like it just might be too good to pass up. One big advantage to this unit is the upsampling for Redbook CDs. Another advantage (though one I'd not originally been looking for) is the use of a Faroudja chipset that apparently allows for some amazing video features, and possibly a PAL>NTSC hack that will best the Malata. Again, I wasn't looking for a combo player, but if this thing even comes close to meeting expectations - and for a retail price-tag of only $400 (which is what J&R will apparently sell it for), it just might be a steal. http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...=3650521&Sort=
And, apparently, there will be more flexible bass management, though I don't know the details of this.
A good thread on this model is ongoing on the HTF, as well as another here: Link Removed

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Rich,

The Philips player did look interesting, but my primary reason for going with the 555ES was improving redbook CD performance and adding SACD capabilities, with CD performance being the #1 priority. Plus, I prefer a multi-disc player for my music listening (the Philips is a single disc unit), and I'm very happy with my current Panasonic RP-91 DVD audio/video player.

For anyone in the market for an audio/video combo player, though, the Philips looks promising.

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
I recently purchased a 555ES and inside the box was a coupon for 2 SACD titles. One was James Taylor and I don't remember the other (maybe Miles Davis). I noticed that the coupon expired back in 2001, but I sent it in anyway. Why is Sony enclosing expired coupons with their products? I purchased my unit from Oade and I doubt that is sat in the warehouse for any length of time. Has any one else received the coupon and did you get your free titles? Just curious.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
The Philips player did look interesting, but my primary reason for going with the 555ES was improving redbook CD performance and adding SACD capabilities, with CD performance being the #1 priority.
Which is exactly why I'm so excited about the Philips upsampling capabilities!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I recently purchased a 555ES and inside the box was a coupon for 2 SACD titles. One was James Taylor and I don't remember the other (maybe Miles Davis).
That same coupon was packaged with my 555ES, too. Since there is no requirement to send any money for shipping/handling, I think I will mail it in even though it has expired. I'm only out a postage stamp if Sony does not honor the offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks