What's new

Buy Sony 555es or wait? (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
It's very intriguing! ;)
Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be having nearly as much fun sitting in my living room being intrigued as Scott will be having in his living room enjoying his 555ES!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rich, there is one very easy way to change that. Go to the phone with credit card in hand, call OneCall, Oade Bros., or J&R Music World, and order a 'C555ES! Wow, you've been a tough nut to crack. How long have I been telling you about the 'C555ES? ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be having nearly as much fun sitting in my living room being intrigued as Scott will be having in his living room enjoying his 555ES!
:laugh: Quite true, Rich. I'm already enjoying my CD collection all over again. Now, if only that order from Digital Eyes for the SACDs would arrive.
Last night I connected the 5.1 analog inputs. The method for balancing the sound levels for each channel leaves a lot to be desired, but fortunately this is not a task that needs to be done very often.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I too am intrigued by the Philips '963SA. It looks like a lot of player for just $400. I can't wait to hear this unit.
Boy that thing is getting some rave reviews. Right now I'm on the fence whether to mod my 775 or upgrade to a 555 or wait for this Phillips unit which may be them all.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Keith,

I am considering a trip-5 with Oade. They will do their mod for around $800 shipped. Have you listened to one of their modded players? Anyone else for that matter?

The sales guy I talked to says it will close the gap between the trip-5 and the 777. Still, the trip-7 gets the nod but the sound is said to be improved...does this void or endanger the warranty from Sony?

Jeremy

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
I am considering a trip-5 with Oade. They will do their mod for around $800 shipped. Have you listened to one of their modded players? Anyone else for that matter?
Jeremy,

I own the 555ES Mod from Oade Bros. and I love the playback on Redbook and SACD. I would like to tell you go for it, but I have no point of reference when you talk about comparing it to the Sony high end product or a stock 555ES. All I can tell you is for me, it was one of the better investments I've made.

As far as the warranty, I was told by Oade that the mod's they do WILL NOT effect the warranty. I was very adamant about that when I purchased it. They told me if I had any problems, they would take care of it. I trust the company as they've been in business for a substantial amount of time.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Thanks Chas

I think I'm going to go ahead and order one with the mod. The guys at Oade seem to think it's a good investment. I've held on off on a deck for our new Best Buy to open. It's here now, so I have a place to buy some discs.

Thanks again,

Jeremy

Elias

Stunt Coordinator
I recently purchased a 555ES and inside the box was a coupon for 2 SACD titles. One was James Taylor and I don't remember the other (maybe Miles Davis). I noticed that the coupon expired back in 2001, but I sent it in anyway. Why is Sony enclosing expired coupons with their products? I purchased my unit from Oade and I doubt that is sat in the warehouse for any length of time. Has any one else received the coupon and did you get your free titles? Just curious.
Hi everyone! I just joined as a member of HTF. Reading all the rave reviews about the Sony SCD-555ES, I purchased one last month. I'm absolutely thrilled with the SACD format. The Rolling Stones remasters sound phenomenal with much improved clarity and high-frequency response.

I, too, received a coupon for two free SACDs (James Taylor and Miles Davis) which expired 11/30/01. I went ahead and mailed the coupon back a few weeks ago, and just received something from Sony. Rather than send me those SACDs, Sony sent me a CD sampler containing a single track from each of 4 SACDs: James Taylor (Hourglass), Miles Davis (Kind of Blue), Mozart (Sinfonia Concertante: Concerto in D for Violin, Piano and Orchestra), and Roger Waters (In the Flesh). I would rather have received two entire SACDs, but this sampler is adequate and highlights some of the advantages of the SACD format.

So go ahead, mail those expired coupons!

Elias Aliprandis
Baltimore, MD

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy, I have not heard a 'C555ES with Oade Bros.' mods. or anybody else's mods. for that matter. I have read many comments saying that Oade Bros.' mods. do not void the warranty. That bothers me a bit. If I had a 'C555ES with their mods., I would send the player to them for a repair. I'd be concerned about what Sony might say if they opened up a modded component.

james e m

Second Unit
This is a very helpful thread! I too am trying to decide on whether or not I should pick this up.
I have a couple questions, are there any issues with the 555ES and bass management? What about when paired up with the DA5ES?
My main concern is cd playback, I can't get much better than the 555ES, correct?
Also are there any plans for a 5 disc version of the Phillips 963SA?
Is there a place where I can read some reviews of the 555ES?
Thanks!:emoji_thumbsup:
James

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
How does the Sony ES CDP-M555ES compare to this player? I know one is a juke and one is a 5 disc but how about the DAC's? I'm looking for a new player with excellent redbook capabilities.
Oh, BTW, Crutchfield shows the 222ES as coming in stock 11/20/2002.

james e m

Second Unit
Thanks for all the info guys! It seems that the bass managment issues would be corrected by the use of the Sony 5ES and it's adjustment of the crossovers for each channel, am I correct?

I also read the stereophile review and it didn't really give the glowing redbook review I was hoping for. Is the cd playback better than his review leads us to believe?
James-

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
James,

For the money, I feel the 'C555ES is an excellent CD player. Sure, it is not as good as a Krell unit, but it also costs a lot less. For $600, you get a lot of player in the 'C555ES.

Regarding the crossover frequency, I seem to recall that it is fixed at 120 Hz, which certainly is too high. However, I don't believe you can use bass management on the 'DA5ES because I don't think it can apply bass management to the 5.1-channel inputs. As I recall, bass management is only performed in the digital domain.

As for Philips, I have heard nothing regarding a five-disc version of the '963SA coming down the pike.

Joe,

The Sony 'M555ES is not nearly as good a CD player as the 'C555ES. The Sony ES megachangers are good CD players as far as megachangers go, but they cannot keep up with the 'C555ES. I have the Sony CDP-CX333ES megachanger, which was the predecessor to the 'M3333ES, and it doesn't come close to the 'C555ES.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks