What's new

SACD First Impressions w/DVP-NC650V Player (1 Viewer)

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Finally, after months of wanting an SACD player, but unwilling to spend $1100 on the 555es, I finally broke down and picked up the 650v because the price was right and I had been craving SACD since the Sony demos at Home Entertainment 2001 in April.
And what a great buy this was - SACD, DVD playback - but not progressive video. But thats ok, since I plan on just using this player for cd/SACD playback, and eventually I will upgrade to an ES unit next year when new models start arriving after CES.
I picked up four discs in addition to the one I already had- Mariah #1's. The other discs were Billy Joel's 52nd St. and The Stranger, Boston - self titled, and Michael Jackson's Thriller. Finally the player came with a sampler disc that included James Taylor - Line 'em up and Roger Waters - Perfect Sense. (I want the Roger Waters!!)
All I can say is wow!! All of these discs impressed me, albeit to different degrees. All of them were definitely improvements on their redbook versions - especially the Billy Joels and the Thriller.
The Billy Joel multichannel mixes were nothing short of incredible. Hearing Scenes From An Italian Restaurant along with Big Shot, Only the Good Die Young and Stiletto - to name a few - I was consistentlyblown away by the clarity of the music. It was right there in the room...all I had to do was close my eyes and I was there front and center of the band.
Thriller - wow! The imaging on this SACD was impressive. Its been a long time since I heard such realism from recorded music. It was like hearing Thriller, Billie Jean for the first time.
Boston - the major improvement here for me was that now you can actually hear the bass guitar! It was so clear and smooth- and for the life of me I don't ever remember hearing that bass guitar on the redbook cd - at least as clear as the SACD. Since this album rocks - every song seemed to have a rebirth.
Finally - Mariah #1's - which I had been waiting to listen to for 9 months. This was the least impressive SACD for me. Although it was good, and seemed to be an improvement overthe original recordings on redbook cd...there wasn't much substantial improvement in my eyes to have satisfied the long wait I had to listen to it.
If anyone is on the fence about SACD - no longer necessary to sit there. SACDis well worth every penny - its an experience you must have - especially if you love listening to music in your theater/room.
SACD :emoji_thumbsup:
Eric

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Eric, congratulations on your purchase. Glad to hear of another SACD success story. :) I have all the SACDs you mentioned, and all of them are better than the corresponding CDs, but as you said, I have found varying degrees of improvement. Overall, the Boston and Mariah Carey SACDs aren't the best-sounding ones out there in my opinion. Ditto for the Billy Joel discs. James Taylor's Hourglass is outstanding on SACD.
I bought the Roger Waters In the Flesh -- Live SACDs at Circuit City for $28.99 (two-disc set), and I am quite pleased with the sound (the music, of course, is excellent). However, this is one of the few SACDs where I don't have the CD for comparison (yet). I've read mixed reviews of the Waters SACDs on Audio Asylum (www.audioasylum.com). Some like the sound quality, others don't.
It's worth mentioning that a number of people on Audio Asylum, myself included, have experienced errors in Sony multi-channel SACD players reading the TOC on the Waters discs. My SCD-C555ES occasionally has a problem reading these discs. When it fails to read the TOC, shifting the carousel to another slot and going back to the disc seems fix the problem. I know that owners of the 'C222ES and 'CE775 have also had problems with the Waters discs, but I have not heard of problems with the Sony DVD/SACD players. Stereo SACD players don't seem to have a problem with these discs. I've played these discs on my 'C333ES and '777ES stereo players many times, and they read the discs fine. The 'C333ES takes longer than usual to read the TOC on these discs, but I have not observed errors.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Will you guys PLEASE STOP IT!!!!! My 555ES won't get here until the 28th and I can't take the wait. You are simply teasing me here as I have the 52nd St album and Dave Brubeck's Time Out sitting on my shelf just waiting for the player to arrive.
I'll post my thoughts on this thread in about a week, but won't be able to comment on multichannel until Outlaw decides to release the 950. My present receiver doesn't have 5.1 analog inputs.:frowning:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Evan, I thought you might like to know that Dave Brubeck Time Out sound fabulous on SACD. This is kind of like the kid in school who won't share candy with another kid and keeps saying, "Wow, this candy is really, really, really good", as he eats. ;) Just having a little fun with you. Hang in there. The 28th isn't far off.

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Evan,
I had Mariah Carey #1's sitting on my shelf since April 2001!!!! Now that was a helluva wait to hear some SACD!! :)
Eric.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Eric, your level of self-control is admirable. I could never hold out that long. :)

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Keith,

It was a long haul to wait with that sitting there on the shelf...but I made it...and I am so gald to get SACD now...!

Later this week I am going to look for Journey Greatest Hits and the Roger Waters. I hope more stuff comes out next year!

Eric.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks