What's new

Bungie + Next Gen = Destiny (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
There are plenty of technical questions being posted regarding use of DLC codes, how they work in various situations with multiple user accounts and family accounts on a single console, what's supposed to be included with things, odd stuff that may or may not be a widespread bug, etc.

Very few of them ever get a real answer.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Bungie really s@!t the bed on D2. It's ironic that the very people they listened to (streamers, sweaty PvP players) are the same ones now jumping ship. I don't even think they (the complainers who are abandoning the game) realize they're to blame (at least partially).

Too often, the PvP sweaty streamers (for those that don't know, "sweaty" is code for the highly competitive players who often stream and have thousands of followers watch them, they are very influential in the popularity of a game) complained that "grenades were too powerful, shotguns were too powerful, melee was too powerful, supers were too powerful. The game needs primary gun skill to be the main component."

Well guess what? Bungie gave it to you. And for the rest of us who are sweaty players, the game got a lot less fun. Cooldowns for supers, melees and grenades were lengthened tremendously. Shotguns, fusions and snipers were moved to Heavy Weapon slot. So now we have 2 primary weapon slots. And all the fun guns, we can only use one at a time. And the Destiny tagline "Become Legend"? Well, we've now "Become Ordinary".

And irony of ironies, even the sweaty players realized that they didn't like this. This is why they are players and not game developers. So they've jumped ship. Casual and dedicated (but non-sweaty players like myself) have jumped ship. This is an object lesson to Bungie that you don't just cater your game to the streamers and PvPers. Sure, they're popular and they get views on Twitch and YouTube. But making a game is like making a movie, album or writing a novel. You don't make it catering only for a small group of your fans. You make the best [whatever it is] that you can, and hope people like it. If you've done a good job, people will like it. If you try to cater to a small group, well that group has a chance of turning on you (like they did here) and the casual/non-pro gamers may end up being alienated in the process.

Final gutpunch: I launched Destiny 1 the other day. It feels like the sequel to Destiny 2. If you play D2 and then D1, it feels like they learned from all the mistakes they made in D2 and fixed it in D1! You would never have guessed that D1 is over 3 years old and D2 was just released.

Kenshiro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken
D2_Development_Roadmap_4_10_3.jpg

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I've already paid for it so I'll definitely be back. But if they haven't fixed or changed the gameplay to my liking, I'll probably finish the story, any new strikes, maybe try a raid if they add one, and then I'm out again.

They really need to go back to primary/special/heavy. Primary/Primary/Power was one of the biggest mistakes they made.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
After a 6 week hiatus (ok I logged in to do the weekly powerful engrams which took like 3 hours per week but that was it), I'm finally back in the grind. Warmind fixed a few things, but a lot was still in need of remedy. However it showed me that they were headed in the right direction.

The Forsaken Twitch stream showed that they are fully committed to bringing the game back to its former glory, and learned from their mistakes. The power fantasy is on its way back, and I'm glad they learned the lesson that they're never going to be a competitive, balanced shooter...and that the vast majority of us who put many hours in the game don't want them to be. Sure the popular Twitch streamers are good at PvP and complain about balance...but they comprise 0.01% of their playerbase. Oh, and as salty as they were about lack of balance...how many of those streamers quit D1? Almost none.

Then Bungie tried to appease their complaints and made a boring, slow sequel that was balanced...and they all jumped ship. And because the power fantasy was gone, so did the non-streamers.

This isn't COD, Bungie. This is Space Magic. Give it to us.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks