Bungie + Next Gen = Destiny

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Sam Posten, May 31, 2013.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Then no D2 for them! We've been held back by these whines for 15 years.

2. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Define "held back."

3. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Sure, can do: the explosive growth of digital first or digital only marketplaces like Steam and the iOS App Store as compared to the glacial movement of physical first delivery systems for consoles. Elastic pricing on one vice pricing tied like a boat anchor to physical inventory.

4. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    OK. I guess I'm far behind you guys looking at the posts. Destiny the Collection came with my PS4 and started playing it about a month ago. What a F*****G confusing game! It is fun at times but other times I'm just wandering around trying to find where I'm supposed to be to complete a mission.

5. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

You know, just because you have access to fast Internet does not make it a whine when someone else brings up a concern about being stuck with a download code, instead of a physical disk with what you paid for on it.

Aaron Silverman likes this.
  6. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I'm going to approach the question of "fast internet" different from Sam. Personally, I don't care whether the game is download only or available in physical media. I prefer collecting my movies on BD/UHD rather than streaming, so obviously I have nothing but affection for owning a physical item.

However, a huge part of Destiny multiplayer for both PvP (player vs. player, i.e. Crucible) and PvE (player vs. environment, i.e raids) is truly enhanced by fast internet connections, and more importantly hurt severely by slower internet connections. In raids, bad connections lead to member or party disconnections, unstable voice chat, teleporting enemies, glitching mechanics, etc. In PvP, matches can border on unplayable by "those damned red-bars" whose characters teleport all over the place, lag behind in taking damage from enemy fire (or don't take any at all), etc.

So in this way, I agree that fast internet should be required for all platforms (not just PC) because so much of the game is impacted negatively by the lack of it. Really the only thing not severely affected by lack of fast internet is solo/single player campaign, which if Destiny (original) is any indication, is the smallest percentage of the game content. You cannot achieve max light level through solo campaign by design, as Destiny is meant to be a cooperative multiplayer game, whether you like to play with a cooperative team vs. fixed environments/experiences, or competitively versus other players/teams. Bungie embraces both desires by making max light level attainable via either means, and as I've played over the 3 years of D1 I've come across the three classes of folks, PvE preferred, PvP preferred, and those that like both. But the thing they all have in common is the need for a fast and stable connection for all involved to make those experiences successful regardless of which activity you prefer.

It's funny, but as I think back on it, my clan and I rarely use the "Report Player" function within XBL and Destiny. We have pretty high tolerances for people even when the more immature players do unsavory things (teabag, send nasty messages, etc.). But the one thing we most consistently report over the years has been players with bad connections.

Sam Posten likes this.
  7. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Our internet is fast enough that we have never had any trouble playing Destiny, but it can still take many, many hours to download various games and updates. Having to wait a day to play something is not uncommon.

8. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    You didn't answer my question. How is one holding back the other?

I can't speak for PC games, but for console games, pricing is no more elastic (in practice) for digital purchases than it is for physical purchases.

9. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    When you get to the more complex raids and strikes, your only recourse is to join fireteams with players who can explain the process or to look up YouTube videos that demonstrate the moves. Some of it is ridiculously opaque.

10. Ken N.

Ken N. Stunt Coordinator

Ken
    Digital releases, at least the bigger ones usually offer pre-loading the majority of the game files a few days up to weeks in advance, with the final few megabytes able to be downloaded on the actual release day.

I just hope they separate the PC and console patches or have a CTE on PC, then those players don't get held back by either Microsoft or SONY's certification process.

11. Carlo Medina

Destiny is not meant to be a single player game. Full stop. If you're not willing to invest serious time in any of these forums:
    • Official Bungie forum (for lore/help)
    • reddit/r/destinythegame (for lore/help)
    • the100.io (for finding fireteams)
    • destinylfg (for finding fireteams)
    I would say Destiny is not for you. You can get away with not knowing lore/mechanics in something like Halo, which is devoid of raid mechanics. I played all Halo games and was very happy with them over the years. I'm sure players of other popular FPS will say the same. And there are tons of other resources out there as well. A huge community has sprung up around this game that is unlike anything I've ever seen in FPSs (I think for MMOs there are larger communities but nothing in this genre).

I will go on record as saying that nothing in Halo, and heck, nothing in video games, has made me as happy and satisfied as figuring out the mechanics of a raid with a good group of friends and fellow guardians. I have never had as visceral reaction as I have had when clearing the toughest PvE end-game content in Destiny in any other video game, in a playing history dating back to the Atari 2600 I had as a kid.

12. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Destiny is a great social game. I really enjoyed playing regular games with some old friends, along with tagups for loot with Sam and some very helpful one-off raids with Ken and some other nice Sherpas from the100.io. I even made some in-game friends and played a bit with strangers, having a good time.

Destiny's design philosophy that ultimately forced me to quit playing is that it rewards addictive gameplay and punishes casual play. I couldn't get in the hours -- putting in the time was affecting my marriage -- and I was falling farther and farther behind my friends in game levels and mission/raid/level ability.

13. Carlo Medina

Actually a clan helps tremendously if you find one with good and helpful people. That way if you step away for a break and come back they'll be up to help you out. That's what my 100.io group is great at.

14. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    I had a ton of fun playing Destiny by myself. I think I went in the Crucible with a friend two or three times, and there were plenty of random wanderings where I teamed up with whomever I happened to run into for those quickie pop-up events, but for the most part I just ran through the story missions. The gameplay mechanics are as good as any FPS I've ever played. I just didn't worry too much about the zillions of different weapons and upgrades.

But I agree that if you want to play the game seriously, it's turned into a royal PITA. My son plays these raid challenges with his friends that take HOURS AND HOURS and reset every week, so you're on a time limit. Forget playing an hour here and an hour there. We have to constantly stay on him to make sure his homework is done before he gets on, and god forbid someone else should want to use the main TV.

Incidentally, yesterday I went to pre-order Destiny 2, and they are already completely sold out of the limited and collector's editions, and of the Cayde-6 figure that GameStop was giving out. The game doesn't come out until September!!! :angry:

15. Carlo Medina

Yeah the raids, especially upon release, can take many, many hours. That said, if you have a good group and can follow direction well, after the strategies are known (about 2-3 weeks after new content drop) you can get through them in 2-3 hours. If you're really proficient, less. If you have 3 characters then yes it's a total time suck. But if you have one character, then it's much more manageable.

16. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Tons of those Cayde figures on eBay for $20ish

17. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman
    Thanks for the tip, but my price limit for Tchotchkes that Take up Space is currently $0. :)

Sam Posten and DaveF like this.
  18. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Wow that reveal was epic in every sense of the world. Coming to PC via Bnet too. I'd have preferred steam but this is good too.

19. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    PC Beta impressions:
    My god, it's full of stars!