What's new

Building a basement theater: Advice on Projector, Screen, Seating, etc. (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Ron, I wish you many many years of happiness and good viewing on your new projector, in your new theater.

Perhaps the most fun part about getting my projector last year was having a new excuse to rewatch all my favorites on the big screen. I hope you have a great time doing the same!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Excellent! Look forward to seeing final pics and video! Give us a review when you're settled in and over the initial awestruck feeling. Hopefully, a final summary list of your knew hardware (projector, screen, chairs, etc.) For other interested shoppers.

And of course: how much do you recommend it for others :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Megdagooch said:
Have you been watching in the theater???

Hi Meghan!

No, not really. A few TV episodes I watch each week, but other than sampling a few scenes, no full movies.

Until the recliners arrive (in another 2.5 weeks), I am delegated to a crappy office chair. It's uncomfortable to sit in.

I have a few prime movies lined up to watch, but I don't want to even do it until I am sunken into one of those chairs.

The video will not be done until that point either, but please check back, cause I plan to thank all of you in it.

You guys -- each and every one of you -- really helped me along in a field I knew very little about.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Congrats, Ron!

I've only taken baby steps myself (and no dedicated HT room afterall), but the much bigger image definitely makes the viewing experience so much more immersive and cinematic... and I don't even care for 3D, LOL.

Stopped reading posts ~1/3 way thru this huge thread, so not sure you ever solved the acoustics issues. I'd agree w/ early concerns about that. Also, I would probably go w/ 2:35:1 CIH myself, if I could, and that's based on my nearly 1 year's experience of going FP at entry level -- IMHO, most (epic looking) movies that could use the bigger image tend to be 2:35 or wider, and those will tend to feel like they've shrunk compared to most 16x9 content I watch. In my case, I have my BenQ W1070 set up so I'd manually zoom the lens based on the content, going wider for wider images (though not actually CIH).

Anyhoo, congrats again!

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FYI, this is what a 2.35:1 projected image looks like (roughly speaking) in my livingroom -- it measures about ~115-120" diagonal. Not sure if you can make out anything else in the pic, but my ancient pair of Vandersteen 2Ci's are what's under both side edges, and they flank the projected image for content of 16x9 (or narrower) ratio, which I zoom smaller (to ~100" diagonal) to fit on the wall above the various items you might see, eg. massaging lounger, some side table knick-knacks. Primary seating (ie. couch) have eyes ~10.5ft from the projected image w/ just enough space behind to run a couple chairs for additional seating -- the pic was actually taken more or less standing up from that area.

1907421_564665420325517_7822319129895496674_n.jpg

I sometimes zoom the wider scope images wider than this, especially in cases like It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

FWIW, it's not actually in the pic, but our old Samsung 61" LED-based DLP RPTV is located at a slant off the left side of this pic right next to the left front/main speaker, and we still use it for somethings like sporadic regular TV programming, though we might move it somewhere else once we finally figure out where... :P

Cheers!

_Man_

PS: I originally wanted to do this in our half-basement/ground-floor, but decided against it for many of the reasons/issues raised earlier in this thread, eg. poor acoustics, too much work/$$$ for my current goal, especially given what's realistically doable.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Man,

You mentioned acoustic issues.

Have none. I am really floored by how well the 7.1 system sounds with the wood paneling.

Really fantastic. Better than when I had the home theater located in the bedroom.

Still plan to do a video, but not until the chairs arrive, which is at least another 3 weeks.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hello My Friends!

I still have a video that I plan to do for all of you.

I am just waiting....still waiting...for the chairs to arrive. I think I explained that the Chinese New Year held up shipments for a month. The chairs are supposed to arrive within the next week or two.

And really, I haven't used the room that much other than watching a few weekly TV shows. It's just not comfortable sitting in a desk chair down there. When I put in my first movie (which will be Interstellar by the way), I want to sink into a recliner.

In any case, the room looks really great. I am so proud of what I did with that room given the fact it was a dusty, shitty-looking basement.

You will be surprised, I promise.

The acoustics in the room are really great. I think people got a bit too nervous about paneling -- but I do understand why.

I do have a question....

Can I hang framed movie posters in the room?

I am guessing, no, as the fear is reflection.

The frame has a plastic covering (not glass), but I suspect that will reflect.

However, I am hoping someone...legitimately....tells me it's okay to put them up as it will as so much to the room.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Buy non-glare acrylic sheets for the posters. Or if having the frames made, specify non-glare.

You can also get anti-reflective. But last I checked, it was more than half the cost difference between AG and museum glass.

I would suggest museum glass...but cost would make your wallet cry.

Hhhmmm. Starting looking this stuff up, haven't in ages...

There is now museum acrylic.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Somewhere way back I mentioned to get frames from www.hollywoodposterframes.com yes they have non-glare UV treated acrylic front "glass"

Yes, even non-glare will reflect a bit, so you do want them out of your eyeline if possible.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Peter,

Excellent referral link. The frames are a bit expensive, but they do have no glare option.

Schan,

Thank you for your help. I don't know how to keep them out of sight line, but at least I have an option here.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Schan,

Thanks for the link. They look a little high-end for me.

Don't need custom framing. I just want to buy a decent frame and do it myself.

Already have a mass amount of framed posters throughout the house.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
I am lucky that I have sufficient room to be able to hang my posters just out of line of sight from my seating position otherwise they probably would lead to reflection issues - they are the "cheap" ones that I buy from Michaels craft stores when they have a sale (typically around $25 a pop). They do however look good and suit my needs - I would rather spend the money on the posters and don;t face any light issues that would cause fading etc... I cycle my posters every so often would love to put them up throughout the house but need the blessing of a much higher authority :D

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks