What's new

Buffy Season 2 - June 11th (1 Viewer)

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
According to www.dvdfile.com , Season 2 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is coming on June 11th. As great as this is, it seems odd that Buffy's first season was released in January, and the second season now in June...while The Simpsons was first released last September, and is also just having its second season now in June. Hmph. Oh well, at least they're coming.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
...while The Simpsons was first released last September, and is also just having its second season now in June.
It does seem to be taking longer to get the "Simpsons" sets out in comparison with most TV sets. My guess is it is due to the fact that Fox is recording commentaries for EVERY episode of "The Simpsons". It probably takes awhile to get all the participants scheduled & into the recording booth.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I think i remember reading that they already did something like 79 commentaries or something.
buffy is being sped up in the release process because other regions are up to the 3rd season now. with 4 coming in May.
Syndication put buffy off by one year in the US, so Fox is trying to catch up, which is probably why it's taking longer for The Simpsons. :)
The X-Files sets have more extras, and usually, more episodes.
buffy has only 22 episodes each season (except the first season) and the DVD's overseas aren't filled to the brim with extras. My guess is that is why the price isn't as low. :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
List price of $70 sounds just about too good to pass up. Street will be between $50-$60, and for almost twenty hours of footage, that's a fair price. Count me in (purchasing for the girlfriend, of course)! :D

Jon Mercer

Second Unit
Looking forward to this set... but as for the price - can anyone tell me what the MRSP is for x-files season 5

Thanks in advance

Jon

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I think the high price of the X-Files sets has something to do with the lawsuits that Duchovny and Anderson hit Fox with over backdoor syndication deals with FX that effectively cut their royalties in half, and Fox's frequent use of their images to promote merchandise without compensation.

-Lyle J.P.

Pat B

Grip
I read a comment--I'm sure it was from Peter Staddon, but I can't remember where now--saying that for R1 they're going to continue with the sort of fold-out format that they used for Buffy Season One and for the X-Files sets. I believe his reasoning was that they had decided against the book structure that was used in the R2 and R4 releases to keep things more moderately priced. Kind of a shame. I liked the idea of the book, and I find a full-season fold-out like the X-Files sets a bit unwieldy sometimes. Alas.

One thing I'm hoping for is that they'll put back in the "previously on Buffy.."s that I've heard were left off Season Two in other region releases. Anyone know about this?

ChristianW

Stunt Coordinator
The "Previously on Buffy" does appear on some episodes in the R4 releases. I'm not sure why on some and not others. Weren't they on every episode in the States?

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
No, only on certain episodes.

Season 2 was mostly half and half if I recall. some episodes had previously (most were in the last half of the season) and some didn't.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I would pay anything for these sets! I used to record eps of Buffy when it first started and I managed to collect every ep on tape right up to about season four or so, that's a lot of tape. But I am so excited to finally have this series on dvd sitting on my dvd shelves!
June can't get here fast enough!

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
(purchasing for the girlfriend, of course)!
This is the second time I've seen this comment.
Why is it some guys feel guilty about watching this show?
Hey - there is a lot of traditional "guy" stuff, ie things exploding, people beating on each other several times an episode, even people "getting busy" on occasion. :D
Seriously though, this is one of the handful of best series on TV these days, I can't imagine why people have to be apologetic about liking it.
And - although I enjoy the whole series - Season Two is probably the best season - it is more serious than the other seasons, and builds up over the season to the amazing final episode of the season - one of the best episodes of TV ever (be nice - no spoilers!).
$50+ for over 16 hours of great viewing on DVD is a great deal !

Sasja

Auditioning
The problem with the cutting of the recaps is the same in R2 and R4: All the recaps were cut from season 2, but none from season 1 and 3 (Angel season 1 also had the recaps cut, which is especially annoying since some of the recaps are of Buffy eps). Probably some Fox people thought they were doing us a favour saving us the annoyance of having summed up what we clearly know already (seeing as we have bought every single ep) - they just forgot to think about the score, so some episodes start very abruptly. But anyway, the fans all cried out, and Fox corrected the mistake in the next season. I'm sure the R1 release will be spared the knife.
Only R2 has the book-like special case for season 2 and 3 - R4 has amarays in slipcase for all the seasons. The season 2 special case was widely criticised - apparently, it is difficult to get the DVDs out of the pockets, and they are easily scratched in the process, so I suppose it is not all bad that Fox has decided to rethink the case (though it looks cool :)). R2 season 3 has the same kind of special case, but this time Fox thought up some padding which seems to solve the problem.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Why is it some guys feel guilty about watching this show?
Well it's even weirder than that to me. Over here this would be classed a 'guys' show due to the assumption by the 'uninitiated' that it could only be popular due to being a tits and arse show.
Weird that it would be considered a girl's show ever, to my mind!;) :D

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Are there any details on whether Joss Whedon's going to do commentaries for any of these episodes? I know he hates doing them, but the commentary he did for the pilot walked that perfect line between insightful and humourous, and I'd love to hear more.
I mean, even if he just did the two-part episodes it would be something.
Not that it'll stop me from buying Buffy if he doesn't, I have no girlfriend and I love the show :D

JonathanBlack

Auditioning
The problem with the cutting of the recaps is the same in R2 and R4: All the recaps were cut from season 2, but none from season 1 and 3 (Angel season 1 also had the recaps cut, which is especially annoying since some of the recaps are of Buffy eps). Probably some Fox people thought they were doing us a favour saving us the annoyance of having summed up what we clearly know already (seeing as we have bought every single ep) - they just forgot to think about the score, so some episodes start very abruptly. But anyway, the fans all cried out, and Fox corrected the mistake in the next season. I'm sure the R1 release will be spared the knife.
I really hope so. The season 1 R1 release wasn't very encouraging in this regard, though, as the two episodes which had previouslies, 'Angel' and 'Prophecy Girl', which were present on the R2/R4, were in fact missing them on the R1. Go figure... Granted the cutting of these wasn't as annoying as some of the S2 ones are, where like you say the score music continues on from the previously into the episode itself, making the cut very obvious and ugly.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Are there any details on whether Joss Whedon's going to do commentaries for any of these episodes? I know he hates doing them, but the commentary he did for the pilot walked that perfect line between insightful and humourous, and I'd love to hear more.
He does one commentary on the Innocence which, though he admits to being very tired, is fantastic.
Marti Noxon (sp? probably ;)) was damn good (IMO) though not excellent, over the What's My Line 2-Parter.
Greenwalt's commentary on Reptile Boy left a LOT to be desired but he had some interesting points. He obviously has no idea what Mokita actually means, though - check my Band link - it's a New Guinea noun - we didn't notice until after that it appeared in that episode. Cool, eh?:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.