Buffy Season 2 - June 11th

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Skoobooz, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Skoobooz

Skoobooz Stunt Coordinator

Jay
    According to www.dvdfile.com , Season 2 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is coming on June 11th. As great as this is, it seems odd that Buffy's first season was released in January, and the second season now in June...while The Simpsons was first released last September, and is also just having its second season now in June. Hmph. Oh well, at least they're coming.

2. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

List price seems to be right around $70...

3. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

4. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

I think i remember reading that they already did something like 79 commentaries or something.
    buffy is being sped up in the release process because other regions are up to the 3rd season now. with 4 coming in May.
    Syndication put buffy off by one year in the US, so Fox is trying to catch up, which is probably why it's taking longer for The Simpsons. [​IMG]
    The X-Files sets have more extras, and usually, more episodes.
    buffy has only 22 episodes each season (except the first season) and the DVD's overseas aren't filled to the brim with extras. My guess is that is why the price isn't as low. [​IMG]

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

List price of $70 sounds just about too good to pass up. Street will be between $50-$60, and for almost twenty hours of footage, that's a fair price. Count me in (purchasing for the girlfriend, of course)! [​IMG]

6. Jon Mercer

Jon Mercer Second Unit

Looking forward to this set... but as for the price - can anyone tell me what the MRSP is for x-files season 5

Thanks in advance

Jon

7. Daniel L

Daniel L Stunt Coordinator

$149.98

8. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

I think the high price of the X-Files sets has something to do with the lawsuits that Duchovny and Anderson hit Fox with over backdoor syndication deals with FX that effectively cut their royalties in half, and Fox's frequent use of their images to promote merchandise without compensation.

-Lyle J.P.

9. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

Is season two region 1 going to be any different than the already released region 2,4?

10. Pat B

Pat B Extra

I read a comment--I'm sure it was from Peter Staddon, but I can't remember where now--saying that for R1 they're going to continue with the sort of fold-out format that they used for Buffy Season One and for the X-Files sets. I believe his reasoning was that they had decided against the book structure that was used in the R2 and R4 releases to keep things more moderately priced. Kind of a shame. I liked the idea of the book, and I find a full-season fold-out like the X-Files sets a bit unwieldy sometimes. Alas.

One thing I'm hoping for is that they'll put back in the "previously on Buffy.."s that I've heard were left off Season Two in other region releases. Anyone know about this?

11. ChristianW

ChristianW Stunt Coordinator

The "Previously on Buffy" does appear on some episodes in the R4 releases. I'm not sure why on some and not others. Weren't they on every episode in the States?

12. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

No, only on certain episodes.

Season 2 was mostly half and half if I recall. some episodes had previously (most were in the last half of the season) and some didn't.

13. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I would pay anything for these sets! I used to record eps of Buffy when it first started and I managed to collect every ep on tape right up to about season four or so, that's a lot of tape. But I am so excited to finally have this series on dvd sitting on my dvd shelves!
    June can't get here fast enough!

14. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Wow, $56 at DVD Empire! This, Ladies and Gentlemen, is a bargain! [​IMG]
    -Dave

15. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

16. Sasja

Sasja Auditioning

The problem with the cutting of the recaps is the same in R2 and R4: All the recaps were cut from season 2, but none from season 1 and 3 (Angel season 1 also had the recaps cut, which is especially annoying since some of the recaps are of Buffy eps). Probably some Fox people thought they were doing us a favour saving us the annoyance of having summed up what we clearly know already (seeing as we have bought every single ep) - they just forgot to think about the score, so some episodes start very abruptly. But anyway, the fans all cried out, and Fox corrected the mistake in the next season. I'm sure the R1 release will be spared the knife.
    Only R2 has the book-like special case for season 2 and 3 - R4 has amarays in slipcase for all the seasons. The season 2 special case was widely criticised - apparently, it is difficult to get the DVDs out of the pockets, and they are easily scratched in the process, so I suppose it is not all bad that Fox has decided to rethink the case (though it looks cool [​IMG]). R2 season 3 has the same kind of special case, but this time Fox thought up some padding which seems to solve the problem.

17. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

18. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Are there any details on whether Joss Whedon's going to do commentaries for any of these episodes? I know he hates doing them, but the commentary he did for the pilot walked that perfect line between insightful and humourous, and I'd love to hear more.
    I mean, even if he just did the two-part episodes it would be something.
    Not that it'll stop me from buying Buffy if he doesn't, I have no girlfriend and I love the show [​IMG]

19. JonathanBlack

JonathanBlack Auditioning

20. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter