What's new

Budget surround system (1 Viewer)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I am putting a front projector in basement, and I am looking for inexpensive speakers with decent sound. I want to go with matching satellites for front & rear(6.1) and a subwoofer. How do you match center channel speaker to satellites if it doesn't come in a package(by woofer size?). What company should I look into other than KLH? Thanks.

Mitch_J

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure there's any surefire way to Timbre match your center to your mains other than by listening to them. (test tones?)
I have a cheap $19.00 center speaker I'd bought several years ago before I got bit by the AV bug. And I've been using it with a pair of LARGE KLH floor standing stereo speakers as my main. when I run a test across the front, I can hear a subtle difference in the tone. I never notice it in movies as something moves across the screen. (car,plane,train)

As for Budget speakers. I've only heard very good things about Fluance. http://www.fluance.com/fluan5speaks.html
for about $250.

That seems to be about the least expensive set that I've heard of that got good to great reviews.

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my BIC Venturi DV62CLR-S in yesterday. If the sound is any indication to how the rest of their speakers sound then I think that would be a fantastic option. Certainly better than KLH. This center has crisp reproduction and fantastic depth. The cave troll from The Fellowship of the Ring was screaming in my face with the full force of his massive lungs (well some of that was sub too but the center sound certainly had heft to it). I'm very satisfied for 99bucks and will be ordering 2 sets of the 62 series bookshelf speakers for fronts and rears. I ordered from www.acousticsounddesign.com with no problems. My choice for budget surround came down to BIC or Fluance and I ultimately chose BIC because of slightly better sensitivity, long-term reputation and 7 year warranty. You probably wouldn't go wrong with Fluance either from what I've read.

brad cook

cabreau

Second Unit
Paradigm Atoms, with a PDR-10 subwoofer and CC-170 center. Under $1000 for everything and I owned a set before moving up to the Studio line. Have listened to Polk, Boston Acoustics, Infinity, Mirage, etc. and FOR THE MONEY, the Atoms are the best buy out there. Haven't heard the Fluance speakers yet. I swear by those Atoms with the CC-170 and PDR-10.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks