What's new

Brian Wilson - 2 new cds! (1 Viewer)

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
..and no mention here (that I am aware of)

His long awaited new album includes Elton John, Clapton and McCartney as well as a duet with Carl Wilson hits stores in June (22nd)

and more recently, it was announced that he is currently recording Smile... all new recordings of the famously unreleased album.

Sorry if this is old news, but hand't seen a thread and this is big news in the BW/Beach Boys world.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
Huh?

His two solo releases at worst decent and (in particular Imagination) generally very good. So am not sure what crap you are referring to - god knows the Beach Boys have put out some crap, but in Brian's limited solo releases, he has been pretty consistent. I am glad that he survived and is active in the studio. As for Smile, it was not created. Sorry bootlegs don't count as it was never finished to be begin with.

Sounds like you don't like any of his music (or the other guests) to begin with...

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
You forgot or didn't hear what Brian said on the "Beach Boys: Nashville Sounds" DVD I have, that a lot of back up material was recorded for future generations! If some of the "Smile" background was recorded, then they could dub Brian, Mikes, or someone elses voice on by other singers. I recently read where Brian is lip synching the songs for his ability to sing is now gone.

If you get to rent or buy the above the first song is sung by C & W star Lorrie Morgan who sings "Don't Worry Baby" with the beach boys backing her up with their harmony. Lorrie is in 7th heaven as she sings with the Beach Boys, I bought the same brand headphones as Lorrie. I have the updated T40 Fostex 'Studio Quality' which all the sounds from DVD, CD, and Vcr are listened to in those headphones, I don't have cableTV by choice.

George See

Second Unit

Smile I can assure you will not be crap, i've heard several of the recent smile concerts and the record will be amazing. The band he's got backing him up is really good. I don't think any fan of Brian Wilson will be dissapointed.
As for his album of completly new material only time will tell.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

Well I disagree. You obviously just like your oldies diner, so why waste your time here?

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
I have listened to a lossless recording of the Feb 24th live recording of Smile some 40 times or more, and I can honestly say that I have shed a tear at some point every time. It is so moving.

This is a work of great artistry - A Cantata in 3 Movements, that transcends the shackles of a simple album, the "what-if's" from 66/67 - even Brian himself.

Smile has been finished, announces Brian. I can't wait for the September 28th release of the studio version (yes, even if it is newly recorded).

gregD

Second Unit
Good music transcends time.

I've been enjoying the bits and pieces of Smile for decades... what could be better than having its reclusive author finally realize his masterwork?

Seeing BW is uncomfortable for me too (and it's been that way for quite awhile)... but you have to applaud his will to drag himself back out on the road and into the the studio... how ironic that the most fragile of Beach Boys is poised to be the victorious last man standing.

I'd like nothing more than to see BW create one more triumphant collection of new music -- I believe it's within him somewhere... the last couple efforts are OK, but I'm not holding my breath for the upcoming release... 'guest artists' are the early warning signs of a clunker.

But maybe the release of Smile will engender the kind of positive response that Mr Wilson needs to take his work to that next level... here's hoping.

George See

Second Unit

Not neccesarily, look at R.E.M. Out of Time had 2 Guest artists the most of any of their albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks