What's new

BRIAN WILSON: LONG PROMISED ROAD (2021) (1 Viewer)

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
BRIAN WILSON: LONG PROMISED ROAD (2021) - LONG PROMISED ROAD is a very intimate documentary on Beach Boys co-founder Brian Wilson. Taking it's title from an appropriately titled Beach Boys track, filmmaker Brent Wilson (no relation) provides a basic overview of Wilson's career and there is a decent amount of performance footage (most of it of fairly recent vintage). There are interviews with musicians like Don Was, Elton John and Jakob Dylan. Still, the focus here is clearly on Wilson's personal life.
The Doc is structured around car trips with Wilson and Rolling Stone writer Jason Fine (Riding Around In Cars With Brian - as it were). The pair visit the past homes of the musician while chatting and listening to old songs. The most fascinating - and painful - portions concern Wilson's long history of mental illness which emerged just as the Beach Boys were ascendant. Parts are difficult to watch as Wilson opens up about how even the simplest things “scare” him. It got so bad that for a long period in the late 60s and into the 80s he was barely functional. A discredited therapist, Eugene Landy, held him almost under detention. Wilson was so disconnected that when the camera witnesses him listening to his late brother Dennis' 1970 solo album, it's supposedly for the very first time.

With that backdrop, it's all the more amazing that Wilson continues to record and tour even if his releases only have met with sporadic success. Those expecting a more traditional music doc or one centered on The Beach Boys, may be disappointed. There are some nice bits of historical footage, and a good bit about the recording of Pet Sounds; But LONG PROMISED ROAD is about Brian Wilson, the man, more than as a musician. Uncomfortable at times, one can't help but appreciate what he has accomplished all the more.

BRIAN WILSON: LONG PROMISED ROAD is available to stream to rent for about $3 on all the usual services as well as through PBS in their American Masters series. It's also on DVD and BluRay

John Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Gilmore
I saw him on tour in 2017. He really looked like a robot on the stage. But his songs, from Pet Sounds on, IMHO, are still some of the best pop songs ever.

Interesting that the doc is about Brian, yet the title is taken from the beautiful Carl Wilson song from the Surf's Up album.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I saw him on tour in 2017. He really looked like a robot on the stage. But his songs, from Pet Sounds on, IMHO, are still some of the best pop songs ever.

Interesting that the doc is about Brian, yet the title is taken from the beautiful Carl Wilson song from the Surf's Up album.
I saw him the same tour, He definitely isn't in peak performance shape but the music was good as was Al Jardine and Blondie Chapman. Al Jardine's son sung most of the falsetos.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Saw this on Blu-ray last night and really enjoyed it. I’ve been a big Brian Wilson fan for a long time, and this was a good look at a remarkable career. I know there are calls of this being exploitative, but I don’t buy it. For one thing, Wilson’s wife would always been looking out for him, and I doubt the likes of Bruce Springsteen and Elton John would be involved in something like that.

Anyway, I had wanted to see this when it came out, and somehow missed the announcement that it was coming to Blu-ray. Glad I caught up with it. It’s a nice companion to the biopic Love and Mercy, and the excellent Beach Boys documentary Endless Harmony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.