What's new

Boston Marathon tragedy. (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Boston Bruins game has been cancelled.Reports are that 90-100+ people are injured

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I have a niece(nearly 16) in the Rhode Island area where she is half way thru a six months exchange student period from Australia. She had a slight accident to her leg at school last week and is said to be OK from that incident and hospital treatment covered by some insurance. Having endured the two recent storms(unusual where we live) and now this if I was her I would be very scared as to what is going on.

If some one is protesting against some government directive or whatever, it is always innocent people who get killed or seriously hurt.

At this point in time a large number of my close relatives live in the Detroit suburbs where I have lived. They survived the 1967? riots and fires. I saw the aftermath in mid-1971. Detroit also had those sorts of things happen about 100 years ago.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Ockeghem said:
Jim,Thanks. That's good to hear.As one whom has been in those crowds at the finish line several times, I can say that it is incredibly congested during the several hours before and after the race. One year I was in the middle of the crowd and as it moved across the street en masse, the sheer throng of people began to crush me and others making it very difficult to breathe. It's quite frightening if you've never experienced that. I can't imagine what occurred as those two explosions went off today.I'm also thankful that (as Ron and Carlo noted above) the tragedy wasn't greater. The Red Sox game had finished by this time, but I shudder to think that this could have occurred inside of Fenway Park.
I have to admit that I'm surprised only 2 have died so far. The number of people near the finish line is usually very high and packed in. I was in the crowd for the 100th running and it was just like you described, people moving en masse and hard to breathe.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Just tragic and sad! I can't even watch the videos because it's just terrible to watch.

Just thinking of the people in Boston.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
My niece ran the marathon this year. She was fortunately finished about 40 minutes before the bombs. We were freaked for a while. Thoughts go out to all injured and the families of the lost

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
CNN says seven leg amputations and that they are pulling ball bearings out of people that was used in the bombs.They are also reporting that a Penske Rental truck is being looked for after it was shortly turned away that tried to gain access to the marathon.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
When I lived in Boston I walked this stretch of Boylston nearly every day. Horrifying and surreal. The only silver lining with this particular target is that police, EMTs and the National Guard were already on the scene for the marathon. I'm sure the casualty count would have been much higher had they not been standing by to snap into action. Unfortunately, many of those they'll have saved are reported to have horrifying injuries and disfigurements.

The Boston Police have posted the following map of the designated crime scene area:
601987_10151422912907685_156238798_n.png

The entire area is cordoned off, so if you're going through that area, seek an alternate route.

If you find yourself trapped in the Boston area without a place to stay as a result of today's tragedy: For the next few days, Airbnb (a service that allows individuals to rent out their extra space on a person-to-person basis) is waiving all service fees in the Boston Area. They've set up a web page at www.airbnb.com/boston-urgent for people to make available emergency accommodations for those affected by the tragic events at the Boston Marathon, and for those in sudden need of accommodations to find them.

If you're trying to locate family and friends, call:
617-635-4500

If you have information that can aid in the investigation, call:
1-800-494-TIPS

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
During the Phils game tonight they said every stadium played that song.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Tony,

That's nice. But I'm guessing that not all stadiums did this:

644164_10151414894307781_1550523617_n.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yes, I would think there'd be a plethora of material available, it'd just be a matter of sifting through all of it.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Christopher,Agreed. The links I posted were (I think) removed and then reinstated. Sorry about that. It's the rush to be first that often seems to be important to reporters. I should have been more cautious as well.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Re:
ChristopherG said:
There is some amazing armchair forensics being done by 4chan with some photo "evidence" out on imgur - not sure if it is the guy or guys but pretty interesting.
"Fascinating and dangerous" use of crowd sourcing to identify suspects.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/04/17/can-reddit-solve-the-boston-bombing-probably-not.html

I bet Richard Jewel would have something to say about this kind of thing....

And now two days later we see this in the town of West, Texas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROrpKx3aIjA&feature=youtu.be

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/18/us/texas-explosion/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Horrible week =(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks