What's new

Blockbuster's Gaming Freedom Pass (1 Viewer)

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone tried this?

If you aren't aware, it's like Red Octane/Gamefly/Numb Thumb. Only it's through Blockbuster, so you don't have to wait for shipping times. You can have any one game out at time for $19.99. I rarely ever go to Blockbuster. How is their game selection? Are most new gammes usually out of stock?

I have Red Octane right now and love their service, but the shipping time is horrible. It takes 15 days between when I put the game in the mail and when I get the next one back. Has anyone experienced better turn around with another online rental company?

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I've tried the Blockbuster Games Freedom pass. It works just like you said, the only problem is the selection. My local Blockbuster gets all the new games, but usually only a few copies of each, especially XBOX games. If you can find a store with sufficient volume then it works great (I once came back 4 times in one day trading games!)

Brian J Dupuis

Second Unit
Wow, it used to be you could have any two games out at a time for the Games Freedom Pass if memory serves. Looks like they figured they could milk gamers a bit more :frowning:.

I use GameFly. The average time for me to get a game back after sticking one in the mailbox is 7-8 days, and I'm east coast. There have been "bad" ones, where I'll go 2 weeks without a game, but that's the exception rather than the rule. Also their "keep it" option works flawlessly (recently "kept" Project Gotham Racing 2 since I see myself playing it for a long time. Cost $39 + $2 for shipping of booklet and case which were in mint condition and came in about 2 days.) I'm a happy customer for the vast majority of the time.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I'm actually using & "abusing" the Freedom pass right now. See my sig - "30 Games & 30 Nights".

Bryce Miner

Stunt Coordinator
I tried the game pass at blockbuster for a month but was dissapointed half way through. Most of the games where always gone from other game pass users. I then went to gamefly and had better results. Two games at once. This helps justify the ship times where I'd ship one and keep one. I would seriously look into gamefly first.

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator
BrianB - Interesting idea. How many hours do you typically log playing each game?

BrianJ - I'm impressed they get from NC to LA and back in about 7-8 days. It makes me wonder if maybe it's just an ineffecient Red Octane that's my problem.

I'm interested, who else has tried online game rentals, and what is your average turn around time?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

So far, it's been upto a couple of hours per title, more for I-Ninja as it was great fun (note of bias: I know two of the team behind it). The idea isn't to give a definitive review of the title, and I'd like to make it clear that the "reviews" on my "30 Games" list are nothing but glorified first impressions. It'll be another week or so before it gets interesting I think - that'll be when fatigue will start kicking in along with general boredom at the game choices in BB no doubt. It's been fun so far though, and a great way to play catchup, for me anyway.

Once I go back to work next week, I'll have less time to spend on each game, but I'll still fit in a good hour one way or another hopefully. The joys of having easy access to an xbox at lunchtime.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
If anyone cares, I'm now a third of the way through my "Odyssey" & still going strong. Last rental was "Metal Arms", and was a joy to play.

All of the updates are on my website & on LCVG.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks