What's new

Black Panther (2018) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
By me, there are a couple theaters with "4DX". They start with RealD 3D and surround sound. To that, chairs with motion are added, occasional wind, fog and water effects, lightning flashes and scents.

If you've ever seen "Star Tours" at Disney, it's very similar.

I saw two movies in this format. The first time, for X-Men Apocalypse, it was just too much. There was something happening every second and it took away from the film. The second time, for Star Trek Beyond, was much better. They used the stuff for the big action scenes but then backed off for the quieter character moments.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
3D + Seats move (D-Box), when snow fell in the movie, snow fell into the theater when they showed the purple flower on screen moment, there was a smell to accompany it in the theater; seats got "hot" and "cold" (which was a different experience), puff of smoke/fog in big explosion moments.. several other elements. Really, pretty cool

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
Amazing box office figures for Black Panther. I hope Hollywood takes the right lessons from this.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/bl...ain-marvel-brie-larson-black-panther-tickets/

Brie Larson doesn't officially join the Marvel Cinematic Universe until next year, but she proved on Friday (February 16) that she's already a superhero.

See, the Captain Marvel actress decided to help those who can't afford tickets to see Black Panther get them through the generosity of others.

How cool is that?

Brie used her Twitter account to connect underprivileged people who want to watch the Ryan Coogler movie with those who want to do a good deed and buy the tickets for them.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
During the final battle sequence, there's one other movie I kept thinking of. Now, because I know that film isn't universally beloved, I understand that this familiarity may not play well here, but I'll take my chances.

The way they cut between the different fights and protagonists and environments really made me think of the climax of Star Wars: Eposode I - The Phantom Menace. And I mean that as a compliment. I don't know if it was an inspiration to the filmmakers or just a coincidence, but both battles felt similar to me.

There are many things to hate about the Star Wars prequels, but the climax of Phantom Menace ain't one of 'em (Anakin dialogue aside :) ).

Now I have an urge to play The Queen's Gambit. If only it didn't take so long to set up. . .

Hey, maybe they should make a Black Panther game along the same lines. T'Challa's Gambit?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I've two questions of things that I may have misinterpreted in the movie (getting old?). I'll put them in spoilers just in case. All in all I thought it was a great film.

I thought that in their final confrontation, Killmonger wanted Klaue to take him to Wakanda. He sacrificed his girlfriend in order to not kill Klaue at the time (?). It implied that he couldn't get there on his own. But then he kills him and just brings his body. What did I miss?

2. During the final set of battles.
I thought that Killmonger killed the head of the Dora Milaje who had been working with T'Challa throughout the film, but then I thought we saw her later in the film. Maybe I combined two characters. So, just who did he kill there?

Thanks.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I've two questions of things that I may have misinterpreted in the movie (getting old?). I'll put them in spoilers just in case. All in all I thought it was a great film.

1:

It was revealed later in a flashback that Killmonger had found his father's stuff, which presumably included a map. Maybe he was keeping Klaue around but got sick of him at that point.

2:

I remember being a little confused by that too, but I think the one who got killed was Ayo, the head of security.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I thought that in their final confrontation, Killmonger wanted Klaue to take him to Wakanda. He sacrificed his girlfriend in order to not kill Klaue at the time (?). It implied that he couldn't get there on his own. But then he kills him and just brings his body. What did I miss?

I thought that Killmonger killed the head of the Dora Milaje who had been working with T'Challa throughout the film, but then I thought we saw her later in the film. Maybe I combined two characters. So, just who did he kill there?

Thanks.
The bigger question I have is how he flew that little plane from the UK to Africa.;) As to Klaue, remember his name is Killmonger.

If you're talking about the woman he picked up off her feet by the neck, he didn't kill her as she submitted to his orders after she fell to the ground.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The bigger question I have is how he flew that little plane from the UK to Africa.;) As to Klaue, remember his name is Killmonger.

If you're talking about the woman he picked up off her feet by the neck, he didn't kill her as she submitted to his orders after she fell to the ground.
I thought he slit her throat there.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
To spoiler question #1

Klaue was at the top of Wakanda's most wanted list - he committed the greatest crime an outsider had ever committed against their people. Bringing him back alive might have been preferable, but bringing back his body at all was going to be helpful to Killmonger - he was smart enough to know that bringing the corpse of their most wanted enemy, after he had slipped through the fingers of first the old king and then the new king, would endear him to the people he hoped to rule over.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
You are confusing Okoye and Ayo
6CC15988-07AF-452D-B830-815F79B08E82.png

Thanks.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Thanks.

We’re talking about a monarchy where the King can have his seat on the thrown challenged by combat to the death under certain circumstances. Killmomger didn’t know what type of resistance he might meet, official or otherwise in trying to put himself in the right place and in front of the right audience to make that challenge.

He knew that Klaue was a hated man in Wakanda. He wanted to use him to gain favor with the Wakandans to gain support and to ensure he could get an audience with the Royal court, so he could make the challenge.

Just showing up at the border and saying that he wanted that kind of an audience was no guarantee that he’d get it. He may have had the Wakandan mark, but he’d have to consider that they’d question him about who he was? Why was he there? He looks and talks like an outsider, so was he a spy? In that case why is he showing up like that asking to get in? Why isn’t he coming back in like any other Wakandan spy would? He doesn’t have whatever Wakanda would use for official ID and entry papers. Being such a secret, isolationist country, they aren’t just going to let someone in who has no proof he belongs there other than the mark. He’d have to consider that they might have taken him in and interrogated him secretly, and someone loyal to the King may not have wanted to let him make his challenge. Maybe the King finds out he intends to issue the challenge and has him killed? We know T’Challa wouldn’t do that, but how would he? He would have to consider that could be the type of resistance he’d meet.

So he uses Klaue and the vibranium sale to draw the King of Wakanda out. This lets him feel out his opponent a bit (from a distance), but mainly it sets him up to fail. He wanted to have the King fail at bringing back Klaue to sow the seeds of dissatisfaction with the Wakandan people. So his plan was to get Klaue back from the Wakandans if he wasn’t able to escape on his own, making the King “fail” either way. He probably wanted to keep Klaue close and learn more about Wakanda from him since he’s actually been there, and then he killed him once they got to the plane because he didn’t need him alive anymore. If he tried killing him sooner, maybe it doesn’t go his way and a Klaue escapes? And it’s probably more trouble trying to drag a dead body around than it is to have it walk right into its grave.

So I think it was about making the King look bad to stir up dissent (which it did) while at the same time assuring him a guaranteed audience with the royal court so he could issue his challenge without it being squashed.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
So he uses Klaue and the vibranium sale to draw the King of Wakanda out. This lets him feel out his opponent a bit (from a distance), but mainly it sets him up to fail. He wanted to have the King fail at bringing back Klaue to sow the seeds of dissatisfaction with the Wakandan people. So his plan was to get Klaue back from the Wakandans if he wasn’t able to escape on his own, making the King “fail” either way. He probably wanted to keep Klaue close and learn more about Wakanda from him since he’s actually been there, and then he killed him once they got to the plane because he didn’t need him alive anymore. If he tried killing him sooner, maybe it doesn’t go his way and a Klaue escapes? And it’s probably more trouble trying to drag a dead body around than it is to have it walk right into its grave.

So I think it was about making the King look bad to stir up dissent (which it did) while at the same time assuring him a guaranteed audience with the royal court so he could issue his challenge without it being squashed.
I understand the motivations, but the dialogue initially used in the scene made it seem that he couldn't make the trip on his own.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I understand the motivations, but the dialogue initially used in the scene made it seem that he couldn't make the trip on his own.

I’ll have to pay more attention to this whole thing on my second viewing this weekend and see if I pick up anything that clarifies.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I liked most of the film, except the whole Killmonger section in the last half of the movie, so not over-the-moon about the film, but was entertained, nonetheless. The film does a nice job of treating characters like they have their own lives that inform and motivate their individual actions, they aren't just there to carry water for T'Challa, they act decisively and with clarity and purpose. It's almost refreshing to see that type of character-building and development in a movie with an unfamiliar cast to begin with.

The last act is a bit on the messy side plotting wise, and just the speed at which the plot just goes from 0-100 mph without any question of how things unraveled. But, gotta end the movie somehow, and the faster the script stomps on the gas, the less the audience has time to wonder if this really make sense. Plus, the battle scene in the last act felt a little like the one in The Phantom Menace (planet-side on the nice pretty green hills and valleys. LOL!)

It'll be interesting to see what kind of legs this movie has in the coming weeks, especially with the universal positive word-of-mouth it has garnered.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
'Black Panther' Ranked As Best Movie Of All Time By Rotten Tomatoes

Black Panther has already achieved several impressive feats, but there's no way many expected it to become the #1 movie of all time.

That is the case though according to Rotten Tomatoes, at least at the moment. Black Panther currently holds the #1 spot on the top 100 movies of all time list, but it also holds the #1 spot in the top 100 action & adventure movies list.

If you look at either of these lists, you might notice that while Black Pantherholds a lofty 97% rating, others below it hold higher ratings, with some even holding scores of 100%. Still, Black Panther comes out on top, and that is thanks to how Rotten Tomatoes defines their Adjusted Score. The Adjusted Score uses a specific formula that weighs in things like how many reviews a movie has. That formula is the reason why Black Panther, which has a 97% and 306 reviews comes out on top of something like Inside out, which has a higher 98% and 331 reviews.

Black Panther sits ahead of films like The Wizard of Oz, Get Out, Moonlight, and The Godfather on the all-time list, while it beats out films like Mad Max: Fury Road, Dunkirk, and Logan in the action and adventure category.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/02/20/black-panther-ranked-best-movie-all-time-rotten-tomatoes/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks