What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Black Panther (2018) (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget that he had actual screen time as himself in Age of Ultron as well, which introduced the character he plays in Black Panther.
That shows what kind of Marvel fan I am because even being reminded, I have zero recollection of him being in these movies before. As an aside, I think my favorite onscreen Serkis role is the salty ship's cook in King Kong.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I just got back from seeing it; a packed house in one of the two largest auditoriums in the multiplex.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has never hit the lows that the DC Synderverse has, but it's also been a long time since it got me invested like Wonder Woman did. In the last year or so, I've found my interest waning in the Marvel oeuvre. Even with movies that are on the surface very different genres, it seemed like they were all drawing from the same bag of tricks.

Black Panther isn't perfect, by a long shot, but it proved that the MCU is still capable of surprising and delighting me. It felt different and distinct the way the Phase One standalones did, before the post-Avengers films started to suffer from increasing homogenization. It's a real movie, with a complete beginning and middle and end, not one chapter in a longer story. And it's got meaningful things to say; it's not just running down the checklist.

Letitia Wright is an absolute standout as the title character's genius little sister. But just about every character in this film held my interest.

Rachel Morrison is up for an Oscar for her Mudbound cinematography, and here she turns in the best looking Marvel film in recent memory.

I also greatly appreciated that there were no crossover characters from the MCU and no dinosaur rock tunes!
Me too. As has been mentioned, Klaw previously appeared in Age of Ultron and Ross previously appeared in Civil War. But they both feel organic to this story, especially since they're two Marvel characters traditionally associated with Black Panther.

The only problem I have with Black Panther is the following:

I have a hard time thinking T'Challa's father leaving his dead brother's body there and not taking his nephew back to Wakanda. It doesn't jive with how that royal family with so much tradition would conduct themselves.
There have been a lot of royal families over the years with generation upon generation of tradition who have hidden their dirty laundry.

There are some earlier sequences that are riveting and perhaps unlike anything we've seen in the Marvel Universe before, particularly T'Challa's official ceremony and challenge fight to formally ascend to the throne, and a scene set in a museum early in the film that introduces Michael B. Jordan.
The movie's biggest success, for me, is that it is a triumph of world building. I've mentioned many times before how completely uninvested I am in the Asgardian mythology. It's like a cardboard cutout version of mythology, with nothing there if you peer around the edges. They take some superficial elements from Norse mythology and map them onto a cosmic canvas, but there's no weight there, no cohesion, and it's not grounded in anything. Large portions are made up as they go along, to support specific story beats.

Wakanda here is the opposite of that. Everything about it is grounded in something real, and the enterprise as a whole has weight and substance to it. One of the things that sets Marvel apart from DC is that its universe hews much closer to the real world, with cities that actually exist. The nation of Wakanda does not exist, but the world around it largely does. The tension between this alternate history fueled by this fictional metal, and the real world history of colonialism and oppression and civil strife that surrounds it on all sides, is a propulsive force for the movie. Everything from the production design to the costumes to the rhythms of the ceremonies and rituals works together to create a sense of verisimilitude about this world.

As the film progresses, some of the action sequences lose some of the originality that the earliest ones displayed, but I think that's a problem that plagues pretty much all of the Marvel Studios films in the final act. But, because the action sequences are more focused on the effect that losing the battle will have on our protagonists than just showing the biggest CGI possible, I was more invested in the outcome than I sometimes can be.
This is yet another Marvel film where the climactic battle comes down to the hero fighting an evil version of himself. But what makes this one stand out is that you're so invested in both T'Challa and Killmonger by then, that the fight doesn't feel quite so perfunctory.

Killmonger is one of the best villains the Marvel universe has had, because his motivations are completely logical. It was a pretty remarkable choice to make the primary antagonist the audience surrogate character; most people who walk into the theater are going to have far more in common with him than with the title character. One of the many points of opposition in this film is African, represented by T'Challa, set against African American, represented by Killmonger. The contrast between the two cousins, T'Challa growing up in the fantasy and Killmonger growing up in the reality, felt really potent.

Agreed! I didn't know that Whitaker was in it, so it was a welcome surprise when he first appeared onscreen.
I thought they also did a nice job giving Denzel Whitaker Forest Whitaker's left eye ptosis as a way to tie the two different versions of the character together.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Killmonger ranks as one of the villains that I truly enjoy. Villains with a rational story, where part of you says: "boy I can relate to that idea" those are the villains I find both great and terrifying. Because cardboard cutout victims are easy: oh, they are just 'evil' and evil with very little purpose beyond being evil. But Killmonger has justified his evil through a complex moral code that he tries to make rational - and nearly succeeds, because instead of starting with an evil premise, his pitch is: "Oh, there are worse evils, terrible evils we have to fight, but sometimes, that requires a bit of evil in the form of retribution, like.. XYZ" and that is, I felt, a much more powerful narrative..

Agreed on the role of the sister; but I also want to point out that the worldbuilding extended in ways I found really unique that we didn't circle back to but will be left open for later; their subtle meddling in geopolitical affairs at the beginning by rescuing people captured apparently for a semi-slave trade; it wasn't revisited directly, but I thought that was a great nod to the fact that they were 'doing something' just in small ways

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Killmonger ranks as one of the villains that I truly enjoy. Villains with a rational story, where part of you says: "boy I can relate to that idea" those are the villains I find both great and terrifying. Because cardboard cutout victims are easy: oh, they are just 'evil' and evil with very little purpose beyond being evil. But Killmonger has justified his evil through a complex moral code that he tries to make rational - and nearly succeeds, because instead of starting with an evil premise, his pitch is: "Oh, there are worse evils, terrible evils we have to fight, but sometimes, that requires a bit of evil in the form of retribution, like.. XYZ" and that is, I felt, a much more powerful narrative..

Agreed on the role of the sister; but I also want to point out that the worldbuilding extended in ways I found really unique that we didn't circle back to but will be left open for later; their subtle meddling in geopolitical affairs at the beginning by rescuing people captured apparently for a semi-slave trade; it wasn't revisited directly, but I thought that was a great nod to the fact that they were 'doing something' just in small ways
One of the things really appealing about Black Panther is Killmonger. He's not your typical one note villain. He is evil, but he wasn't always that and could have been save if given the right environment to grow up in and to not to be abandon by his family.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
One of the negative reviews I saw mentioned it had a confused sense of place which I couldn't disagree with more. It did also include the line "hell hath no fury as a crazed African" though so make of that what you will.

This falls comfortably into the second tier of MCU films for me. They have just been so consistently good recently, they each have their own take, with unique characters which helps keep things fresh, but it is just one good film after another. I really liked how they merged the super advanced tech with deep spirituality without either feeling out of place. As others have mentioned the cast all do a great job of bringing these characters to life. It is a film which has something to say and it feels like it's timing couldn't be better. I really liked the first post credit scene which hammered home the point that needs to be heard on both sides of the Atlantic.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One of the negative reviews I saw mentioned it had a confused sense of place which I couldn't disagree with more. It did also include the line "hell hath no fury as a crazed African" though so make of that what you will.

This falls comfortably into the second tier of MCU films for me. They have just been so consistently good recently, they each have their own take, with unique characters which helps keep things fresh, but it is just one good film after another. I really liked how they merged the super advanced tech with deep spirituality without either feeling out of place. As others have mentioned the cast all do a great job of bringing these characters to life. It is a film which has something to say and it feels like it's timing couldn't be better. I really liked the first post credit scene which hammered home the point that needs to be heard on both sides of the Atlantic.
After my second viewing today, I think it's one of the best of MCU films as it has a deeper message than just about all of the other MCU films. It has a first rate cast and I really like Winston Duke as M'Baku.

Also, after my second viewing my earlier criticism of the film has let impact on how I feel about the film. In short, I'm more forgiving of that point of contention I previously acknowledged about the film.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I really enjoyed Black Panther.

I found it to be an an interesting, culturally relevant story with great performances and beautiful imagery.

Boseman was very good in the lead role, and the supporting cast was top notch. Loved the richness of the many supporting characters. Shuri being the standout for me.

Killmonger was a great villain with understandable motivations. Klaw was a blast!

While it is certainly more of a political drama and less of “action movie”, I really enjoyed the set piece in Korea. The waterfall challenge fights were also very well done.

I thought this was really beautifully shot. And it looked really, really good. The sharpness and detail of the image caught my attention throughout.

Also, for me, while this definitely fits well within the framework of the larger Marvel Cinematic Universe, I think that it felt quite different from the “typical“ Marvel movie vibe from beginning to end.

It is nice to see it doing so well both critically and financially. Well done Marvel and Ryan Coogler!

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
After my second viewing today, I think it's one of the best of MCU films as it has a deeper message than just about all of the other MCU films.
I agree with this. Most of the Marvel movies feel like junk food to me; tasty enough going down, but mostly forgettable. This is one is sticking with me, and the more I think about it, the more I appreciate it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I really liked it. The cast was great from beginning to end. The cinematography was beautiful. The costumes, the set design, all terrific. But most of all, I give credit to the writing.

I loved that they not only addressed the elephant in the room (why didn't Wakanda step in and help the other nations of Africa during colonization? Why hasn't it helped Africans all over the world with this amazing technology?) but they made it in the central conflict of the story. I will always have huge respect for them for doing that.

Killmonger was a great antagonist - his reasons for doing what he did were very logical, even if the way he went about doing it weren't. If he had talked to T'Challa, and reasoned it out, he might have found a great ally in his cause. As it turns out, T'Challa upends generations of tradition to do the right thing.

I found it absolutely refreshing, and I can't wait to see more of Wakanda, T'Challa and the rest of the characters.

Last edited:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
On a superficial level, I was feeling "The Lion King meets Star Wars meets James Bond." Of course, that is high praise coming from me. :) This movie was also imaginative in its own way on top of all that. Definitely an upper echelon MCU flick, even if it didn't quite surpass Thor 3.

The thing that stood out to me the most, I think, was the costume design (both hero suits and regular clothes). Truly spectacular from start to finish.

My only complaint is that most of the fight scenes were shot too close. That's a pet peeve of mine. I'm glad I saw a 2D showing on a very large screen (Cinemark XD), because the details of the fights were hard enough to follow even in that format.

It was probably the most packed film I've ever been to that started before 10 am, and there were surprisingly few kids in the audience. Go figure!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
On a side note. . .for any other middle school parents out there: Did you find yourself thinking about Ugandan Knuckles watching all those actors put on African accents? It's driving me nuts!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
During the final battle sequence, there's one other movie I kept thinking of. Now, because I know that film isn't universally beloved, I understand that this familiarity may not play well here, but I'll take my chances.

The way they cut between the different fights and protagonists and environments really made me think of the climax of Star Wars: Eposode I - The Phantom Menace. And I mean that as a compliment. I don't know if it was an inspiration to the filmmakers or just a coincidence, but both battles felt similar to me.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
Good article with comments from director, cast and Feige on the film and it's importance.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...r-studio-head-power-telling/story?id=53147996

I didn't associate the ending with Phantom Menace Josh, I will look for that on second watch. I did get the James Bond vibe from the first mission they went on, although I enjoyed that sequence more than the recent Bond efforts.

I really liked that it was a battle for control of Wakanda between not just two characters, but two ideals and that both sides have some merit, and flaws, to them. I agree with Adam that the more I think about it the more I can appreciate it which is the opposite feeling to quite a few films I have seen in recent times.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watched it today with my wife, and we both liked it ok. Seemed like an above average superhero film. But since superhero movies are about my least favorite genre once was enough. Thank goodness for moviepass.

Last edited:

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Holy cow. This is the first film I've seen in 4d..and.. wow. That is an experience. I was not quite prepared for how that goes. Expensive ticket, but really unique

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We found the novelty quickly wore out after two movies. We saw “San Andreas and “Kong Island” also wonder if the director has input into where the chair is to bank left or bounce. Isn’t it just an afterthought like those lights that flash to music?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Holy cow. This is the first film I've seen in 4d..and.. wow. That is an experience. I was not quite prepared for how that goes. Expensive ticket, but really unique

What encompasses the “4D” presentation?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks