What's new

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This week's episode of the behind-the-scenes podcast features interviews with Letitia Wright, Tenoch Huerta and cultural consultant Dr. Gerado Aldana. I can't recommend this enough. It's great.

Next week will be the final episode.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yes. They specifically showed the plant growing out of the 'Blue Rock' and Namor says as much when he gives the bracelet to Shuri and says it was made from the flower growing from the blue rock.
And Shuri sequenced the DNA in the fibers from this plant that were used in the bracelet to reverse-engineer the heart-shaped herb, using the Talokan plant's DNA to plug the holes in her DNA model of the heart-shaped herb, much like how Dr. Wu used amphibian DNA to plug the holes in the dinosaur DNA in the first Jurassic Park.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed the Assembled episode on WF. I thought the cast members talking about their grief over Chadwick Boseman really elevated this above the others. The cast and crew seemed more unguarded when discussing the film.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just noticed something interesting.

Marvel/Disney has changed the Marvel logo intro montage of the original Black Panther as streamed on Disney+.

In the original version, the Marvel logo intro contained the standard (for the time) montage of Marvel heroes, including the Avengers, Black Panther and Guardians. It's what is on the physical media if you own it.

Now if you stream the original Black Panther movie on Disney+, the Marvel logo intro is the one that celebrates, and solely features, Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa/Black Panther.

To be clear, I have zero issue with this, and do not liken it to any previous (and some which were highly debated) post-release changes to movies. In my view, this in no way changes the substance or plot of the movie. It simply pays honor to the passing of Mr. Boseman, as the same Marvel intro logo does in BP:WF.

Happened to have an urge to see the original tonight and that change caught my eye immediately (and made me pull out the 4K UHD to compare).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Marvel/Disney has changed the Marvel logo intro montage of the original Black Panther as streamed on Disney+.

That's not new. They did that shortly after Boseman passed. Coogler even says so on the commentary track for Wakanda Forever.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Okay, we watched this last night.

It landed with a big thud for us.
The opening was good as the Tribute to Chadwick’s T’Challa but everything else was a dud.
My biggest problem was Namor.
Didn’t like anyting about him.
Especially the actor. To me it was miscast.
I never thought of him as Mayan or as he sounded to me Mexican maybe that’s a lack of knowledge on that lineage on my part.
I never read any comics specific to Namor and only saw him as a “guest” in other books but this wasn’t what I pictured as a live action version.

Took me right out everytime he spoke.

Didn’t like the underwater scenes even a little bit.
Too dark?

Shura doesn’t work for me as Black Panther.
I know she is enhanced by the herb or sometimes it was a ‘Erb but she is just so thin it’s distracting.

The fights weren’t very well choreographed especially the one on top of that ship.
Was too much posing and twirling of Staffs.

Shuri stabbed right through the abdomen and while her suit closed the opening how did she survive that so quickly, was it the ‘Erb?

Too many slo-mo shots during action sequences even with the limited amount of those.

Even the kid at the end was off to me. Looked like a cgi person.

The biggest issue was why would Namor think killing the engineer of the device would stop the land people from searching for more Unobtanium I mean Vibranium.

They already have a machine, probably would not be hard to make another one.

Also had an issue with Ramonda’s turn on Okoye.

The whole movie was a big mess.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The final episode of the Wakanda Forever behind the scenes podcast is up now. It includes interviews with producer Nate Moore, Ryan Coogler and Simone Boseman, Chadwick's wife. It is a very emotional conversation.

I would recommend the entire podcast (6 episodes) to anyone with the slightest interest in this film was made. Even though it is only audio, it is the most detailed, in-depth documentary produced for a Marvel movie in years.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
We watched this a couple of weeks ago, bottom-tier MCU for us. It was just kind of "boring", for lack of a better term.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Angela Bassett is getting an Oscar after all because the Academy is giving her an honorary one.

This is certainly a nice gesture in light of her incredible career, but I still think she deserves to actually win one competitively.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
As is often the case, the Best Actress category was stacked with great work this year. I would have picked Bassett, but Curtis, Hsu and Condon were all great as well. (I didn't see The Whale so can't comment on Chau.)

Bassett is one of those actors who is so good and so well-respected throughout her career that it is shocking when you realize she hasn't already won an Oscar fore something. Maybe the Academy feels that the honorary one will rectify that.

Last edited:

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Bassett is one of those actors who is so good and so well-respected throughout her career that it is shocking when you realize she hasn't already won an Oscar fore something. Maybe the Academy feels that the honorary one will rectify that.

And even more shocking is she was only nominated once before, some 30 years ago!!

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I agree her performance was probably better than Jamie’s but I thought Stephanie Hsu and Kerry Condon’s performances were even better.
Agreed that, out of the 2 supporting actress noms in EEAAO, Hsu was more impressive. She had to play the disappointed daughter, the evil mastermind, and many more iterations in between.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Bassett also works quite a lot in TV. I wonder if that brings out some elitist snobbery with some voters when voting on awards meant for film?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks