What's new

Better Call Saul - Season 5 (AMC) (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Forgot to mention, the cereal that Kim poured out for Jimmy is the exact same cereal I purchased at the grocery store this morning. Makes me wonder if Kroger was selling that brand back in 2004?

- Walter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Man, Kim has a set on her. :)

One of the most intense sequences yet in BCS, but the consummate pro Mikey was there ready to drop the hammer. So that sort of had the effect of altering the tension from is Lalo going to kill Kim to how many bodies are going to be on the floor?

Nice visuals as always with this series including the split screen during the opening sequence and later when Kim is making the orange juice and Jimmy is have a series of flashbacks to his unfortunate drink of choice in the New Mexico desert.

Did Nacho alert Mike that Lalo had a change of plans, or was Mike just keeping tabs on Lalo, maybe both?
Since you saw Victor with the tracker in the nursing home parking lot, I assume that Mike and his guys were following them via one of Mike's gas cap tracker from a couple seasons ago. Then once Mike saw them going in the direction of Jimmy's apartment after leaving the rendezvous spot, Mike knew something was wrong and called Jimmy.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I thought the episode was one of the best of the series.

So why was it so important for Saul to stick to his story? Was he just trying to protect Mike who wasn't supposed to be there? Wouldn't it be in Gus' best interests to pit Lalo and Eladio against eachother?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I thought the episode was one of the best of the series.

So why was it so important for Saul to stick to his story? Was he just trying to protect Mike who wasn't supposed to be there? Wouldn't it be in Gus' best interests to pit Lalo and Eladio against eachother?

I think it goes something like this...

If Saul had revised his account to let Lalo (and by extension Kim) know what really happened in the desert the following things would have occurred.

A) Lalo would no longer trust Saul, because Saul had lied to him. This would not end well for Saul.

B) Kim would be even more apoplectic about Saul's involvement with the cartel. (She has seen the cup in the duffel bag, so how much more apoplectic is difficult to say.) Saul doesn't need any more drama in his life. :)

C) Lalo would know that Mike was working to ensure that he returned to Mexico, which would mean that Lalo would be aware that Gustavo was trying to get him out of the picture, which would inform Lalo that Gustavo was on to the Salamanca's efforts to undermine his operation.

- Walter.

Last edited:

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I’m still a little hazy on why Don Eladio wanted the money drop ruined. At least, that’s what Gus was saying, right, that Don Eladio tipped off the Colombians who were the ones that ambushed Jimmy in the desert?

Also, did Hector just REALLY want some birthday cake action or what?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I’m still a little hazy on why Don Eladio wanted the money drop ruined. At least, that’s what Gus was saying, right, that Don Eladio tipped off the Colombians who were the ones that ambushed Jimmy in the desert?

Also, did Hector just REALLY want some birthday cake action or what?

Just revisited the scene with Gustavo and Mike. After Gus hangs up he tells Mike "I just spoke with the man who orchestrated the attack." ... "He was protecting his business, by protecting our business." I guess Don Eladio thought that keeping Lalo in jail was the best course of action.

Not sure about Hector and the cake, but Mark Margolis sure was mugging for the camera with that birthday hat strapped to his head. :)

- Walter.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Bob Odenkirk's Emmy episode.

Thank goodness I do timeshift watching and skip by the commercials; there are plenty. But I noticed they let that entire long last scene play out without interruption, which at least would have helped maintain the tension for the live watch. Great sequence. Also some of the best directing of the series. I love the close up shot of the prickly cactus with huge thorns and we see Nacho and Lalo's car disappear heading into it driving soft focus behind in the distance. What a perfect metaphor. Thomas Schnauz. Beautiful work throughout.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Just revisited the scene with Gustavo and Mike. After Gus hangs up he tells Mike "I just spoke with the man who orchestrated the attack." ... "He was protecting his business, by protecting our business." I guess Don Eladio thought that keeping Lalo in jail was the best course of action.
Yeah, Gus wants Lalo out so he can kill him (and all the Salamancas) at some point but Don Bolsa was unaware of Gus' plan and was just trying to stop Lalo from getting out of jail because he feels it benefits his and the cartel's business interests.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Thank goodness I timeshift watching and skip by the commercials; there are plenty. But I noticed they let that entire long last scene play out without interruption, which at least would have helped maintain the tension for the live watch. Great sequence.
Yeah, Alan Sepinwall actually alluded to this on Twitter shortly before the episode began — that the earlier acts were deliberately shorter in length in order to allow for that final scene to run an uninterrupted 16 minutes:

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1249881397482999808?s=21

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
So each season of BCS has had two extra months between season premiere to season premiere, starting with a twelve month gap from season one and two. So:

Season 1 - 2: 12 months
Season 2 - 3: 14 months
Season 3 - 4: 16 months
Season 4 - 5: 18 months
Season 5 - 6: 20 months? October 2021?

I’m hoping they can break the mold for the next (and final) season. I’m betting my money on a painful cliffhanger tonight.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
So each season of BCS has had two extra months between season premiere to season premiere, starting with a twelve month gap from season one and two. So:

Season 1 - 2: 12 months
Season 2 - 3: 14 months
Season 3 - 4: 16 months
Season 4 - 5: 18 months
Season 5 - 6: 20 months? October 2021?

I’m hoping they can break the mold for the next (and final) season. I’m betting my money on a painful cliffhanger tonight.
They're supposed to shoot in September but with the pandemic, who knows? I'd guess they're aiming for fall 2021 too.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Here we go. Season-finale time. Tonight is the last time we'll ever end a season and be waiting for the next season.

Honestly, this is gonna suck. Not in terms of quality, but I'm pretty sure we're gonna have our hearts brutally broken in the next 90 minutes...

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Saul would be fine with a quarantine.

Would be awesome if the writers just a did while episode of Kim and Jimmy taking turns brushing their teeth, and Nacho and Lalo living out a wacky fish-out-of-water Mexican sitcom south of the border.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks