What's new

Better Call Saul - Season 5 (AMC) (1 Viewer)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Defying expectations. Are we really buying that metamorphosis of Kim? It was pretty quick over the past few episodes. And I thought we'd have a little tag of Gene, since we got a tease in the season opener. And where again does Lalo figure in BB? While it was fun to see him evade assassination, I was kind of hoping Nacho was waiting for him outside the grounds. Okay, defying MY expectations.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
4vSBWXg.gif

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
This was definitely the best season of BCS yet. The final season is going to be earth shattering. Not to mention where they’re going with the Gene stuff. My theory now that 13 episodes are confirmed, is that it’ll be a 10-episode BCS season with three B&W episodes with Gene.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I guess I wrongly assumed this would be the last season before the events of BB. It was a great season with some terrific suspense sequences that matched the mother ship, but I still feel like the decision to make Kim... break bad, was decided somewhere along the way and not pre-conceived in the master plan from the beginning. It just feels too abrupt.

I realize they had set up her intrigue with Jimmy's little scams, but she was always a compassionate crusader, not just focused on pro bono work but going the extra two miles for homeowner Barry Corbin (forgot characters name). That just doesn't jive with the genesis of the world class scammer or saboteur she now aspires to be. It's a cool idea to make Jimmy drop HER, because she wants to go too far, but I just don't feel like it was a believable or justifiable turn.

Here's co-creator Peter Gould on the finale and some other thoughts:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...inale-explained-peter-gould-interview-1291031

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I guess I wrongly assumed this would be the last season before the events of BB. It was a great season with some terrific suspense sequences that matched the mother ship, but I still feel like the decision to make Kim... break bad, was decided somewhere along the way and not pre-conceived in the master plan from the beginning.
There is no master plan for this show or Breaking Bad. They were crazy enough to have Walt with the machine gun at the beginning of S5 with no idea of how or where that would pay off.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I can kind of see Kim’s reasonings gelling with her crusading for the unfortunate, as she seems to see Howard as deserving of whatever her wrath decides to give him.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I may have asked this earlier and not sure if there was a response...

Why did Kim leave her law firm? I know what reason she gave Jimmy, but I can't fathom anyone giving up that kind of success you strive your entire life to do the kind of work she is doing now.

Really great ending to the Season. Sadly, we won't see this show return for almost two years at this point.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Great season finale.

Kim has displayed bad tendencies before; particularly during the cons she pulled with Jimmy. So I don't think her turn is all that dramatic. Sandpiper is kind of an 'ends justify the means' sort of thing - the old folks get some $ while they can still enjoy it and Kim gets to serve the greater good with her pro-bono practice. It's just a career setback for one lawyer. :)

Man, Lalo looks pissed. I'm not convinced that he will come after Saul first, seems like Nacho and Gustavo would be of immediate concern to Lalo. We'll see, but it will be a long time before the series returns. (Just another reason to survive COVID-19; to able to see how this all wraps up. :) )

To Ron's question - as I recall Rich delegated some of Kim's tasks to other individuals in the firm and this didn't set very well with Kim. I don't think there was ever very good chemistry between Kim and RIch; so it was probably a lot of little things vs. one big thing.

- Walter.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Great season finale.

Kim has displayed bad tendencies before; particularly during the cons she pulled with Jimmy. So I don't think her turn is all that dramatic. Sandpiper is kind of an 'ends justify the means' sort of thing - the old folks get some $ while they can still enjoy it and Kim gets to serve the greater good with her pro-bono practice. It's just a career setback for one lawyer. :)

Man, Lalo looks pissed. I'm not convinced that he will come after Saul first, seems like Nacho and Gustavo would be of immediate concern to Lalo. We'll see, but it will be a long time before the series returns. (Just another reason to survive COVID-19; to able to see how this all wraps up. :) )

To Ron's question - as I recall Rich delegated some of Kim's tasks to other individuals in the firm and this didn't set very well with Kim. I don't think there was ever very good chemistry between Kim and RIch; so it was probably a lot of little things vs. one big thing.

- Walter.

Thanks, Walter!

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Yeah, I think it was pretty obvious Lalo knew right away Nacho double crossed him. He has every reason to be suspicious of Saul, but not sure why he would think he had anything to do with the hit (other than maybe knowing something).

Put me in the camp that didn't buy the Kim transition this season either. I feel like the writers are running out of story lines that involve Kim and Jimmy so they're reaching. Not interested in a going scorched earth on Howard story line in the final season.

That said, I really did enjoy the season. Might have been the best one.

What's the over/under on the final season? I'm thinking Fall 2021.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm not so sure Lalo immediately suspects Nacho, tho Nacho being gone is an obvious clue. The -OTHER- guy they keep showboating the boss over might be a candidate too.

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
Why did Kim leave her law firm? I know what reason she gave Jimmy, but I can't fathom anyone giving up that kind of success you strive your entire life to do the kind of work she is doing now.

Striving all your life to be a successful attorney doesn't automatically equate to striving all your life to be a contract, property, and acquisition attorney for a corporate client [NTTAWWT].

To put it in HTF terms, striving all your life to be a valued entertainer doesn't automatically equate to striving all your life to be the neighbor/best friend on a TGIF sitcom. Sure, you might be making a lot of money to walk in a stage door and spout a catchphrase, but it's a personal calculus whether that is a fulfilment of your life's striving.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Striving all your life to be a successful attorney doesn't automatically equate to striving all your life to be a contract, property, and acquisition attorney for a corporate client [NTTAWWT].

To put it in HTF terms, striving all your life to be a valued entertainer doesn't automatically equate to striving all your life to be the neighbor/best friend on a TGIF sitcom. Sure, you might be making a lot of money to walk in a stage door and spout a catchphrase, but it's a personal calculus whether that is a fulfilment of your life's striving.

John, that's a very interesting take. Makes sense. Thank you.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I'm not so sure Lalo immediately suspects Nacho, tho Nacho being gone is an obvious clue.
Nacho being gone, Nacho being up at 3am, Nacho acting all nervous, Nacho taking a long time to get the drinks, Nacho not reacting to the fire in the kitchen at all... I'm actually surprised Lalo didn't catch on sooner. :D

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'm not so sure Lalo immediately suspects Nacho, tho Nacho being gone is an obvious clue. The -OTHER- guy they keep showboating the boss over might be a candidate too.

In addition to Scott's post, I would add...

There was a shot of Lalo taking a real hard look at the table and the drinks during the mayhem. So yeah, I'd say that Nacho is on Lalo's naughty list.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks