1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Best sub for under 300.00

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chase, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Chase

Chase Agent

I now have a(cheap) 100watt 12inch Jensen Sub working with my Kenwood system.

The Kenwood system is a five speaker system rated at 100watts per channel. It is overpowering my sub. My cheap Jensen sub also makes some port noises due to my repeated viewings of DVD’s at or above theatrical levels. It simply can not hit those low 35hz and under notes nicely.

I am looking for a subwoofer that would work nicely with this system and can hold up to low movie bass at high volumes. I am looking for the best sub under 300 dollars. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Well if you can go a few bucks more, already have an old amp or spare receiver, than take a hard look at the HSU TN1225HO. I believe they are under $350 now but keep in mind it's a passive sub so you need something to power it. I used an old receiver for months driving a TN1220 until I purchased an amp. See Audioreview for user reviews.

The HSU VTF-2 is a powered sub and gets very good reviews but it's a 10" driver and I think are more suited for smaller rooms. I also think Adire has something similar (Rava) in the price range.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Best sub under $300 will be a DIY sub. But if you don't have tools or think you can build an enclosure it really isn't much of an option.

4. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]

5. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

I thought the rava and vtf-2 are in the $400-500 price range after shipping. If $300 is your total limit and you can't go DIY, then I would go with the JBL PB-12 at www.jandr.com for $300 shipped.

6. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

DIY, or ebay for the Vance D 10" from partsexpress.com.

I have one breaking in and so far so good, even though I'm an ex-SVS owner. I won for $314 shipped.

And, you'll have a good amp and driver for that nice big ported box you can build over the long winter...

7. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

If you're not into DIY, then the Sony SA-W40 is probably one of your best bets under $300. Stick some polyfill in them and they'll sound better too.

8. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

9. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi
    I have the Energy XL 8.2 and I'm very happy with it. It has a couple of features that i really like.
    1) it's front ported, which i think helps with placement
    2) it has a XOVER RCA input, which defeats the sub's crossover (this avoids cascading crossovers)
    It's approx $379.00 CDN funds, so it should fit well in your budget.
    It has good output for a smaller room and goes fairly low also.
    http://www.energy-speakers.com/subwo...eakers_S8.html
    Hope this helps

10. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

i concur w/ jbl pb-12 (for that money)

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=91703

12. Fallo

Fallo Auditioning

I agree with Colin. The Titanic 10' MKII of Parts Express has the quality of the big brothers in a compact size at an affordable price. If you got a small to medium space to fill, you can't go wrong!

13. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi

JOHN -