What's new

Best sub for under 300.00 (1 Viewer)

Chase

Agent
I now have a(cheap) 100watt 12inch Jensen Sub working with my Kenwood system.

The Kenwood system is a five speaker system rated at 100watts per channel. It is overpowering my sub. My cheap Jensen sub also makes some port noises due to my repeated viewings of DVD’s at or above theatrical levels. It simply can not hit those low 35hz and under notes nicely.

I am looking for a subwoofer that would work nicely with this system and can hold up to low movie bass at high volumes. I am looking for the best sub under 300 dollars. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Well if you can go a few bucks more, already have an old amp or spare receiver, than take a hard look at the HSU TN1225HO. I believe they are under $350 now but keep in mind it's a passive sub so you need something to power it. I used an old receiver for months driving a TN1220 until I purchased an amp. See Audioreview for user reviews.

The HSU VTF-2 is a powered sub and gets very good reviews but it's a 10" driver and I think are more suited for smaller rooms. I also think Adire has something similar (Rava) in the price range.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Best sub under $300 will be a DIY sub. But if you don't have tools or think you can build an enclosure it really isn't much of an option.

Albert M

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the rava and vtf-2 are in the $400-500 price range after shipping. If $300 is your total limit and you can't go DIY, then I would go with the JBL PB-12 at www.jandr.com for $300 shipped.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
DIY, or ebay for the Vance D 10" from partsexpress.com.

I have one breaking in and so far so good, even though I'm an ex-SVS owner. I won for $314 shipped.

And, you'll have a good amp and driver for that nice big ported box you can build over the long winter...

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
If you're not into DIY, then the Sony SA-W40 is probably one of your best bets under $300. Stick some polyfill in them and they'll sound better too.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Hi
I have the Energy XL 8.2 and I'm very happy with it. It has a couple of features that i really like.
1) it's front ported, which i think helps with placement
2) it has a XOVER RCA input, which defeats the sub's crossover (this avoids cascading crossovers)
It's approx $379.00 CDN funds, so it should fit well in your budget.
It has good output for a smaller room and goes fairly low also.
http://www.energy-speakers.com/subwo...eakers_S8.html
Hope this helps

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Fallo

Auditioning
I agree with Colin. The Titanic 10' MKII of Parts Express has the quality of the big brothers in a compact size at an affordable price. If you got a small to medium space to fill, you can't go wrong!

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Hi

JOHN -
Explain this in more detail. ALL powered subs have RCA input (line level and speaker level), and in most cases this does not bypass the internal x-over. Does it have both a standard line level AND a bypassed line level input?
This sub has both the Standard Line level and Bypassed line level. Using the XOVER/Bypassed input, it defeats the Volume and Crossover settings on the sub. The volume can then be controlled by the Receiver and the Sub crossover is not in use.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks