What's new

Best scenes for AVR/speaker auditions (1 Viewer)

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
[Suggested by MuneebM]
Movie: Blade 2, New Line Platinum Series
Scene(s): Chapter 2 & 3, as well as opening sequence with Blade 2 title splash (just near the end of chapter 1)
Audio Format: DTS ES Discrete 6.1
Charateristics: These first few scenes of Blade 2 have an amazing mixture of different background music, explosive gunshots, chest-pounding punches and kicks, and plenty of ambient/surround sound. All the different sounds and background music during these scenes make them great for auditioning speakers/AVR because there is plenty of midrange, clean tight bass, and some very nice highs that can bring out the best or worst of any tweeter. I highly recommend this scene as it has helped me a lot in distinguishing the difference between an average system and a very good system.

================================================== ==============================

[Suggested by DavidNighorn]
Movie: Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, Extended Edition
Scene(s): Chapter 1
Charateristics: The opening music in LOTR:FOTR is a good test for tonal matching. The strings come from all of the speakers simultaneously. A bad apple will become apparent very quickly.

================================================== ==============================

[Suggested by GregBe]
Movie: The Patriot
Scene(s): "Gabriel's Rescue"
Audio Format: Dolby Digital
Charateristics: If someone is deciding between dipole and direct radiating speakers for surrounds, I would highly suggest the scene titled "Gabriel's Rescue" from Mel Gibson's The Patriot. There is a lot going on in every direction. This scene will either immerse you or have you spin your head at the effects. Definitely a subjective decision, but this scene helped me make up my mind (I went dipole, btw).

[Suggested by BrianAe]
Movie: The Time Machine (2002)
Scene(s): Opening scene
Audio Format: Dolby Digital/DTS
Charateristics: The opening of Time Machine is one of the best audition scenes for the front speakers. It consists of a nice score playing while you hear very detailed but subtle effects of different things happening in a college lecture hall.

[Suggested by Kevin G.]
Movie: Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, Extended Edition
Scene(s): Battle at Helm's Deep
Charateristics: Just before the battle and the rain starts pouring down...My Focus' detail almost every droplet that hits the armor of the army of men. You can then hear a fantastic ammount of detail when the leader of the Orc army is breathing heavy. The ensuing battle is, of course, phenomenal!!!! plenty of bass for the bottom feeders, swords clanging all around!!!!!

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=1
My DVD Collection

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
[Suggested by MuneebM]
Movie: Blade 2, New Line Platinum Series
Scene(s): Chapter 2 & 3, as well as opening sequence with Blade 2 title splash (just near the end of chapter 1)
Charateristics: These first few scenes of Blade 2 have an amazing mixture of different background music, explosive gunshots, chest-pounding punches and kicks, and plenty of ambient/surround sound. All the different sounds and background music during these scenes make them great for auditioning speakers/AVR because there is plenty of midrange, clean tight bass, and some very nice highs that can bring out the best or worst of any tweeter. I highly recommend this scene as it has helped me a lot in distinguishing the difference between an average system and a very good system.

[Suggested by DavidNighorn]
Movie: Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, Extended Edition
Scene(s): Chapter 1
Charateristics: The opening music in LOTR:FOTR is a good test for tonal matching. The strings come from all of the speakers simultaneously. A bad apple will become apparent very quickly.

[Suggested by GregBe]
Movie: The Patriot
Scene(s): "Gabriel's Rescue"
Audio Format: Dolby Digital
Charateristics: If someone is deciding between dipole and direct radiating speakers for surrounds, I would highly suggest the scene titled "Gabriel's Rescue" from Mel Gibson's The Patriot. There is a lot going on in every direction. This scene will either immerse you or have you spin your head at the effects. Definitely a subjective decision, but this scene helped me make up my mind (I went dipole, btw).

[Suggested by BrianAe]
Movie: The Time Machine (2002)
Scene(s): Opening scene
Audio Format: Dolby Digital/DTS
Charateristics: The opening of Time Machine is one of the best audition scenes for the front speakers. It consists of a nice score playing while you hear very detailed but subtle effects of different things happening in a college lecture hall.

[Suggested by Kevin G.]
Movie: Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, Extended Edition
Scene(s): Battle at Helm's Deep
Charateristics: Just before the battle and the rain starts pouring down...My Focus' detail almost every droplet that hits the armor of the army of men. You can then hear a fantastic ammount of detail when the leader of the Orc army is breathing heavy. The ensuing battle is, of course, phenomenal!!!! plenty of bass for the bottom feeders, swords clanging all around!!!!!

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=1
My DVD Collection

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator
The opening music in LOTR:FOTR is a good test for tonal matching. The strings come from all of the speakers simultaneously. A bad apple will become apparent very quickly.

Other parts of this movie will demonstrate dynamic range and clarity of dialogue while other sound effects are present.

David

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator
The opening music in LOTR:FOTR is a good test for tonal matching. The strings come from all of the speakers simultaneously. A bad apple will become apparent very quickly.

Other parts of this movie will demonstrate dynamic range and clarity of dialogue while other sound effects are present.

David

GregBe

Second Unit
I hope this thread takes off.
If someone is deciding between dipole and direct radiating speakers for surrounds, I would highly suggest the scene titled "Gabriel's Rescue" from Mel Gibson's The Patriot. There is a lot going on in every direction. This scene will either immerse you or have you spin your head at the effects. Definitely a subjective decision, but this scene helped me make up my mind (I went dipole, btw).

I have a lot more, but this was just off the top of my head.

GregBe

Second Unit
I hope this thread takes off.
If someone is deciding between dipole and direct radiating speakers for surrounds, I would highly suggest the scene titled "Gabriel's Rescue" from Mel Gibson's The Patriot. There is a lot going on in every direction. This scene will either immerse you or have you spin your head at the effects. Definitely a subjective decision, but this scene helped me make up my mind (I went dipole, btw).

I have a lot more, but this was just off the top of my head.

BrianAe

Second Unit
The opening of Time Machine is one of the best audition scenes for the front speakers. It consists of a nice score playing while you hear very detailed but subtle effects of different things happening in a college lecture hall.

BrianAe

Second Unit
The opening of Time Machine is one of the best audition scenes for the front speakers. It consists of a nice score playing while you hear very detailed but subtle effects of different things happening in a college lecture hall.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
I'm sure that this is probably a given, but I get shivers every time I play it!!!!
Lord Of The Rings, The Two Towers: Battle of Hornbug, just before the battle and the rain starts pouring down...My Focus' detail almost every droplet that hits the armor of the army of men. You can then hear a fantastic ammount of detail when the leader of the Orc army is breathing heavy. The ensuing battle is, of course, phenomenal!!!! plenty of bass for the bottom feeders, swords clanging all around!!!!!
[rant]KICKIN'[/rant]

Kevin G.

Second Unit
I'm sure that this is probably a given, but I get shivers every time I play it!!!!
Lord Of The Rings, The Two Towers: Battle of Hornbug, just before the battle and the rain starts pouring down...My Focus' detail almost every droplet that hits the armor of the army of men. You can then hear a fantastic ammount of detail when the leader of the Orc army is breathing heavy. The ensuing battle is, of course, phenomenal!!!! plenty of bass for the bottom feeders, swords clanging all around!!!!!
[rant]KICKIN'[/rant]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks