What's new

Best Of Sets... (1 Viewer)

Matt_Troop

Agent
The Title Is A Little Misleading But, I Was Wondering If You Ever Think A Company Will Put Out A Best Of Box Set Filled With Short Liver Series, Such As Say Sony Has 6 Different Shows That They Want To Put Out And Each Show Only had Between 3-13 Episodes So Instead Of Wasting Money On A Single Box Set They Combind Them...Do You Think Anyone Will Do It?

Jon_Gu

Stunt Coordinator
I'd be suprised if that concept would sell. I wouldn't want to shell out $59.98 for a 6 disc set to pick up one of the series, not caring for the other 4 or 5.

I would much rather see a one disc set selling for $14.95 for a really short run, or even $29.95 for an entire season. That way I can pick and choose what I want in my library.

Now an all "Pilots that didn't sell" DVD...I could see several possiblities:

Cop show pilots
Medical show pilots
Action/Adventure pilots
Sci-Fi pilots

You get the picture. :)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I don't see the point unless the shows have significant overlap in their fanbases - and I'm not sure how you'd know that. Besides, apart from some savings in packaging, shipping and inventory costs - which are all relatively minor expenses - I don't see how combining different series would avoid "wasting money". The cost of digitizing, mastering, designing menus, producing extras, etc. would be the same for each episode of each series, no matter how the resulting discs are packaged.

I think you'd lose so many sales from fans who don't want to pay $60 for a 7-disc set containing one show they love and one they hate that this would eliminate any "savings" that would accrue from bundling unrelated (failed) series together.

And the title is more than A Little Misleading. It simply has nothing to do with what you're actually talking about and refers instead to a completely different kind of release - which really does exist and has long been debated. Why didn't you just ask what you wanted? Especially given that you obviously knew when you wrote the post that the title did not describe the topic you wanted to talk about?

(And, BTW, what's up with Capitalizing Every Word Like Your Entire Post is a Headline? :))

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Even there I'd rather buy a single disc containing maybe 4 dramas or 8 sitcom episodes than a "boxed set" that mixes different series.

Anyway, given the tendency to do TV movies as backdoor pilots (or using episodes of existing series as same) I'd still rather see single disc, one movie releases. (Another situation is the unsold in-show pilot that features an actor who went on to success later. Of course I'm drawing a blank on any actual examples. :) Well, let's say that the CSI: Miami introductory episode from CSI were an actual pilot, the show never went anywhere, but Emily Proctor went on to play the lead in a hit series. If I were the producer of CSI I might be incliined to put out a "before she was famous" disc featuring Proctor on the cover, her episode of my show, and then three other really good episodes as a way of selling a disc to her fans and advertising my show at the same time.

Regards,

Joe

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
Sony already did something like that.A while back they released a disc called "The Greatest '70s Cop Shows" which had an episode each of Charlie's Angels,Starsky & Hutch,SWAT,Police Woman and The Rookies.While these series weren't short lived,it's the same concept as you mentioned,Troop

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
I must say that I enjoyed the "Greatest 70's Cop Shows" dvd.
It had first episodes of Charlie's Angels, Starsky & Hutch, Police Woman, SWAT and The Rookies.
All great shows and at the time none of them were out yet.
And it was only $12 to $14

Saturday Morning with Sid and Marty Kroft is coming out which has 6 or 7 pilots of their shows, it's also $14.95 or so.
You can wait for season sets but who knows if they're ever make it that far. A fan can wait forever and never see their show release. A taste is better than noting.

Matt_Troop

Agent
Joe What I Ment By By Best Of Is Totally Different Than You Think, I Ment Best Of A Company Such As Anchor Bay Could Release The Best Of Carsey Warner Shows(even though they technically wouldn't be the best) and Also I Capitalize The First Letter Of Every Word Because Im Weird, I Wasn't Trying To Bring Attention To Myself Or Anything I Do The Same Thing 24/7 On SitcomsOnline.com

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
I don't like the, "Best of," titles because everybody has their own idea what the, "best of," is.

Your VERY FAVOURITE episode, might not be on a, "Best of," set.

I don't like the, Beverly Hillbillies' episode, The Giant Jackrabbit , but that is often on a Best of, set.

MichaelColvin

Stunt Coordinator
See, at least to me, a "Best-Of" set should only be done if the studio isn't sure that a full season set will sell well, and they want to test the waters OR if they have already released all of the season sets and are trying to get the last sector of the interested market who do not want everything.

For example, what Buffy is doing with its "Spike" releases. Or what the "Designing Women" is doing with its probable S1 release.

But what you're describing will have too much overlap, IMHO.

Still, anyway to get product out there is a good thing (well, most of the time) As long as it stays true to the fans of the show.

cheers, Michael :)

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
"Best-Of"

A good example of, "Best-Of," products.

If I was in charge of making a best of Beatles CD, I would include
MY favourites which would include, Thank You Girl (mono)

I don't think Apple would include that song, on their idea of Best Of The Beatles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks