What's new

Best main speaker kit for me? (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
No, the A/V-2 will not be offered as an 8 ohm speaker. You can get sealed A/V-3's in the same height and width cabinet as the A/V-2 but with a shallower overall depth.

BTW, we sent a pair of maple A/V-3 cabinets to Danny several weeks ago. Hopefully he'll have them up and running (and on his website) soon.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I will offer to build A/V-3 cabinets. Send me an e-mail. Keep in mind the shipping costs for tower cabs will not be trivial.

MikeSRC

Second Unit
Thanks for the offer Hank. Yeah, I'm well aware of shipping costs from my business. I may just find someone locally to cut the pieces for me since I don't have a table saw.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Thanks for the offer Hank. Yeah, I'm well aware of shipping costs from my business. I may just find someone locally to cut the pieces for me since I don't have a table saw.
Hey Mike, if you need me to cut panels just send me an email. I live in Laguna Hills so we could arrange a pick up for the cut cabinets or finished enclosure.

We already have a router template to make the driver cut outs and our industrial table saw could shorten the work time. Projects not yet on that page are a pair of Ushers, a pair of Jordan 92xs, fiberglass enclosure Vifa 2-ways, and two 50wpc inverted GainClone Amplifiers. I CAN'T wait to finish my gainclone... (Gainclone is a DIY $200 chip amplifier somewhat copying the GainCard)

MikeSRC

Second Unit
Thanks Chris. I knew you had made some A/V-3s yourself, but I didn't know you had a full shop. You've got mail. :)

Dean-P

Stunt Coordinator
What would be a good matching centre speaker for the a/v-3s?
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

MikeSRC

Second Unit
According to the A/V-3 webpage, there's supposed to be a shielded center channel A/V-3 version coming. In the meantime, the A/V-2 CC would be the closest, but it's also a 4 ohm speaker. I've never heard a good result using different brand speakers across the front.

Danny Richie

Stunt Coordinator
The A/V-3S is a done deal.

It is a sealed box, shielded version of the A/V-3 (using a pair of the new 16 ohm woofers).

The box has about the same measurements (size) as the A/V-2 but not quite as deep.

Units have been shipping already.

I will try to get new info up on the web site over the weekend, or maybe by the end of the week.

Sorry, I have been playing catch up and I will spend time shipping orders out before working on the web page, so web page updating is most often not the highest priority.

I have tons of reviews to get posted on all our models too as soon as I get some time for it.

PaulDF

Second Unit
Ok, well. I plan to go listening around to a few well known speakers and try to get an idea of the sound I want.

I know sensitivity is big for me, as is clean and quick sound. If I want to go loud, sesitivity is it. I don't have a lot of experieince with listening for imaging, dynamics, etc. So basically, I don't really know what I'm doing! I have been trying to make my own comparisons between speakers in my home. Between my mains and totally different center (best quality so far but I won't mention the name).

My mains will play to about 110db (each) but after 105 it gets pretty scary so I'd say 105 is their limit. My center plays to 110 and sounds pretty safe and well. Though any more and it cuts off and on.

I looked at the Energy's today. $1200 for the C7. Has 3 6.5s(?) and a tweet. Nice but over my budget.

I really want to listen to Klipsch, and Paradigm. The Klipsh are supposed to have their own "live" sound which intruiges me, and the sensitivity of at least 94-96 db and up.

The paradigm, I heard a guy say his new A/V3's sounded better them his studio 40s. Thats pretty impressive hey? So if I can demo a set of studio 40's then I can say wow that sounded good but, perhaps the A/V3's will sound even better!

But now, how much do the Klipsch really cost? I'll imagine over $600-800 dollars for sure, so out of my budget. But I have to hear them. Prices seem to be coming down these days, so you never know what could happen!

If I want the truest comparison to the A/V3's what should I listen to?

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Hey Danny, I thought Brian and I were your "officially" sanctioned cabinet builders. Have you added Chris T in California?

Danny Richie

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Hank,

Chris T and several other independents buy our kits all the time. He builds the enclosures to his customers specs, does assembly installation and other services.

Our kits offer him the ability to give his customers something custom built for them.

He can also make better margins than offering a mass produced speaker as he can then profit from enclosure building, assembly, and installation.

The customer gets a lot more for their money too.

Paul please don't compare our A/V-3's to speakers like the Paradigm. Those two speakers are not in the same league.

A much closer comparison would be to the Onix Reference 2.

http://www.av123.com/products_produc...ers&product=25

Or the Joseph Audio RM25si:

http://www.josephaudio.com

Both of those are good sounding speakers.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Paul,

I used to own paradigm reference 40's. I now own av1+'s:D I sold my whole paradigm setup on a whim. I was not disappointed.

Actually I am finishing my stands and painting my av2's today. I went with a hammered charcaol grey for the speakers and the stand's centre column will be silver hammered paint. Top and bottom plates will match the speakers and are 1.5" thick with rounded top edge. I am still trying to get some corean or granite for the side panels of the speakers. My two sealed av12's will be a light maple finish.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I do occasional jobs and some of them happen to have GR-Research speakers involved. I just thought it would be convenient if Mike could get the enclosures locally since there'd be no shipping.

I havn't and won't be shipping cabinets like you guys. (That is until the shop gets a CNC) mwahaha

One of my friends is deciding between AV-1s, or to pay a bit more for a bookshelf Jordan JX92s. I am almost sure that the Jordans will lose the sale because of my shipping experience with Creative Sound. (It can take longer than 4 weeks for Jordans to ship) Canada Post + USPS = Bad :frowning:

UPS from Danny @ GR-Research = Good experience

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks