Best main speaker kit for me?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by PaulDF, Aug 20, 2003.

1. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

At last, I think I am able to upgrade my front speakers. I have been looking at a few kits in particular, but also want to know if there may be some kits that I am overlooking.

They will be used for about a 50/50 music/movies ratio. I prefer a tower kit and size/height is not really an issue. I listen to a lot of rock/metal, and high SPLs are important. They will be powered by a 100w/ch receiver which is rated for 8 ohms and will certainly not run 4 ohms. Unsure about 6 ohms, though my center is a 6 ohm and had not caused any trouble. I'd like the lowest extension possible, but my Tempest will take care of the really low stuff. I am thinking of spending around $600 CAD.

I've been looking at the kit 281, A/V 3, and HE12.1. I don't think the kit 281's will work for me, since they are rated at 4 ohms and I've heard they are quite a load for many amps, nonetheless mine. I am sceptical of the 12.1's, and really prefer the typical MTM arrangement. Though I do like their efficiency, as I want to go LOUD and clean with my small amp.

The A/V 3's look like my best bet so far. Will they be an okay load for my amp? They are an 8 ohm speaker right? How loud can I expect these babies to play vs the HE12.1's on my amp? Also, what are the size specs on these speakers (all three)? Can't seem to find that anywhere...

I'm sure I'll think of more to ask, but this will be a good start. I have read as much as I can, but just want to be sure about my amp compatibility, etc. thanks.

2. David Giesbrecht

David Giesbrecht Second Unit

What amp are you using? I drove my pyramid speakers witch are rated at 4 ohms with a Technics budjet surround receiver for three years and there was no problem. The amp warned about low impedance speakers in the manual but it didn't seem to bother it, a 281 would probably be fine.

PS: before I received my QSC amp I drove two tempests wired in parrallel with a similar Technics stereo amp and its still around and kick'n I'm using it for PA duty now.[​IMG]

3. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

4. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I went with the HE12 floorstanders. The only downfall is their size. Other than that I'm absolutely impressed with them. They are VERY efficient. My little HK 120 (~45wpc) can light up most any size room with the HE12's. But I also have a Yammie 200wpc dedicated amp that powers them to concert levels. They are very refined and not at all overpowering in a quiet attentive listening session. I've actually turned off my DIY tempest for music apps. The extension is very clean into the high 20's although I do have a relatively small living room at the moment. If high output is what you are after...I think the HE's would do the trick.

5. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

6. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Just to avoid confusion, by size specs I meant cabinet size... What is the impedence of the HE12.1's?

7. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

8 ohm speakers-
    Click here to read about them.

8. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Well, the HE12's will gain me 3db over the A/V 3's. Meaning at any same volume, my amp would be at 1/2 the power it takes to get the A/V 3's to the same level. And at least 1/4 the power it took to power my current mains to that same level. Hmmm.

Are there any other kits I might like that I haven't seen yet?

Let me ask it this way, what will I miss if I go with the HE 12's. And what will I miss if I go with the A/V 3's?

9. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

try taking a look at PiSpeakers.com, they might be a little over your budget but i don't the conversion rate. The Theater Series has a 15 inch LF and a nice Compression driver for the HF, the only thing is the cabs are pretty huge, and the HF petter out at 16Khz. Still in my grand plan of every thing, i am looking at building a pair of the Stage series or the professional series, only time and money will tell

10. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Those PiSpeakers look quite good, but after conversion, etc, way too pricey. I also can't really see them fitting in my plan... I am still a beginner, and should probably stick with more conventional configurations for now. Thanks though.

I still cannot decide between the A/V 3 or the HE12.1's. Any input from owners, builders of either kit?

Also, I can't find any cabinet dimensions for the A/V 3... Anybody happen to know its measurements?

11. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I use av2's and find them to play plenty loud. And, compared to my old paradigm reference speakers, sound better and less fatiguing at higher volumes. They played just as loud as the studio 40's. Now I run them off a B&K amp but still use a marantz sr-7000 for a pre-amp. I bet the av3 would play a bit louder and have a bit more advantage in the 50hz area.

You could also get av2's and just build them to look like towers. I think the av2's, without all the new tools I bought cost about $600-$800 depending on finish and materials. The crossovers are quite simple and the hardest part is the tweeter recess. But if you have a scrap piece to test first it is easy.

I am thinking of trying out Danny's new diliceo MTM setup and moving my av2's to surround duty in the future. I will also use the av2's with a pair of stereo sealed av12's and then a ported bp1503 for the ultra low stuff. Now look it, you got me babbling[​IMG] probably cause I got a week off work to finish off a few things[​IMG]

12. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

The HE12's will be way more than 3db louder cleanly than A/V-3s, as long as you highpass them... their efficiency is actually 96db, right?

Yes, the 281s will go loud as heck without distorting, even full range (I'm still not sure how much highpassing them helps) but it starts to get iffy up there with a weaker amplifier. The speakers would have no obvious distortion at all even where I pushed my 100 watt amp to obvious clipping.

13. Danny Richie

Danny Richie Stunt Coordinator

Sorry Paul,

The New A/V-3 info will be post shortly. I have just been too busy to get it up.

The gang from Dallas came up today and demo-ed them while they were here. Thumbs up from all of them.

Anyway the actually cabinet size has a high WAF with only a 8" wide front baffle.

Total height is 41.875 plus the height of the base and the floor spikes that come in the kit.

They are 11.5" deep.

I can e-mail you a .pdf file of the enclosure plans if you like. It was designed to be easy to build too.

They are indeed 8 ohms (paralleled 16 ohm woofers) and have 91db output with 1 watt at one meter (conservatively rated).

They will obviously not hit the higher spl of the HE 12's with the same power, but your 100 watt receiver will allow one speaker to hit a 110db peak at one meter. How loud is loud enough?

-3db on these is 40Hz. The transmission line controls the bottom end excellently. This is the best of our A/V series speakers.

14. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

15. Danny Richie

Danny Richie Stunt Coordinator

16. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

Wow, That was fast, thanks. [​IMG]

17. PaulDF

PaulDF Second Unit

Yes, thankyou Danny for the email. Very quick response! I have a few more questions, but will send you another email.

Shawn, I thought the AV2's were a 4 ohm speaker. My amp would not fare too well!

I think I have settled on the A/V3's. I much prefer the look over the HE12.1's. I know this is a trivial factor, but I want them to look good. If the extra SPL's and light load on my amp of the HE's are the only benefit (my own opinion of course) over the AV3's, then I don't feel that they are for me. I'm sure the AV's will go much louder then my current towers, and sound so much better. I've never actually taken a max SPL measurement of my towers without a sub running, and set to large. I should.

It will also be easier, and better looking to build a matching center channel to match the AV3's in the future. I'd rather not put a 10 or 12" driver in a box on top of my TV

[​IMG]

18. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I will start assembling my pair of A/V-3's this week. I'm pondering what veneer to use - probably rosewood.

19. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I'm partial to maple myself Hank. I thought the av2's will be offered as a 8 ohm speaker?

20. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

Is anyone selling pre-assembled A/V-3 enclosures yet?