What's new

Beatles in Mono. (1 Viewer)

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I got the stereo set for Christmas and I've been working my way through it. So far, I don't hear a huge difference between these discs and the 1980's CDs, but I've only listened to a few discs so far.

One thing is for certain, though. I HATE the packaging- for the two 2-disc sets especially. I noticed that on both of these (Past Masters, White Album) the discs are so tight inside the sleeves, that bits of the inside of the cardboard packaging stuck to the surfaces of the discs (little black specks on the surfaces of the Past Masters discs, little white specks on the White Album discs). Even a damp Q-tip would not budge the dots, so I carefully scraped them off with my fingernail, and then listened to the discs to make sure they were OK (they were).

I also received a Revolver milk-crate/t-shirt/CD set for Christmas, so I bought a pack of slimline CD cases, removed all of the discs from the Stereo set cases, put them into the slimline cases, and then into the milk-crate. They all fit perfectly in the Beatles milk-crate (including the DVD), with room to spare.

Has anyone else decided on an alternate-storage solution for the Stereo discs?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina

Interesting read, Scott. One question about what he wrote. He writes:

Is this statement based on any inside information he has or only his speculation?

Thanks!
The rumor I have heard is that the catalog will get 5.1 mixes at some point, similar to what was done with the Love mixes, and that they'd be put out on Blu-Ray discs (probably similar to Neil Young's Archives Vol. 1).

I'm actually looking forward to Ringo's album.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Carlo,

When I asked my buddy if he was speculating or whether he had some inside information, he wrote 'yes.' I asked him to elaborate, and I'll post that information if/when he does. :)

Side note: Part One of Anthology was superb last night. Sure, I'd seen many of the clips before, but hearing what the Beatles had to say about the formation of the group, and seeing the excellent montages that were accompanying much of the dialogue, sure was a treat.

An added bonus was hearing and seeing McCartney (while he was being interviewed) play tunes from their early days, as well as some music of other bands that were popular at the time. His playing was very clean -- I was quite impressed with how good it was for the Anthology series.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Scott. That news will determine how badly I pursue the 24 bit FLACs. If 5.1 remixes are coming out, I think I can be quite content with the stereo and mono sets I bought on 9/9/09. If this really was "the end" of the new releases, I'd probably purchase the FLACs.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ockeghem

My good friend, who has loved the music of the Beatles for about as long as I have (mid-1960s), just wrote to me about this. It's probably been discussed on this Board (and maybe even in this thread). I seem to recall a few posters discussing the USB box set. Hopefully, there will be some new information here. I don't understand all of what he wrote, but that's okay. I'm sure people on this Board will know what he means with regard to certain technical aspects.

I love the anthology DVD set -- it is truly a treasure. This week I discovered something even more amazing than the new stereo box set -- the Beatles Stereo USB box set! I suddenly realized that this set is extremely limited, and has far more than the MP3 versions I thought it had. It also has FLAC files (lossless compressed files) of superior sound files of the entire set. These files are sampled at 24 bits, as opposed to the limits of the CDs at 16 bits, and let me tell you it is the most amazing Beatles sound experience available anywhere. When McCartney plays bass on "With A Little Help..." there is a BASS AMP right in front of you! When John plays "Julia"--you can see him playing the guitar right before you. And it goes on and on. BEST SOUND EVER for every track! I am truly astounded. I never dreamed to have better-than CD versions of the entire catalogue and that this truly is! I highly recommend it if you can find it, but you need a computer with a sound system connected to appreciate it, or a fairly advanced unit of some kind that will play from a USB drive. The design is beautiful, too. It's a 1 1/2 inch round green apple made of heavy metal (no pun intended), and the stem comes out and is in fact the tiny USB drive that almost any computer will accept. I am so impressed with the design, and the package, but most importantly with the music! It never sounded better. This is the set to have, IMHO. I think this new format is the next phase in recorded music.

Until the whole catalogue is remixed (which will happen), this USB set will be the standard for the original Beatles albums. Also -- Ringo's new CD, Y Not, is out Tuesday. I have it already of course. It's light years ahead of Liverpool 8 -- which isn't saying much, unfortunately. Paul is on two tracks, including a duet singing with Ringo on one track.
Santa was good to me and I also found a surprisingly heavy little apple under the tree. :) I've enjoyed the cd set, but I don't ever see myself listening to the 16-bit versions again, save for the monos. This is the way to hear the remasters. Until the next way, of course, hopefully 5.1. :)

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
The USB apple is a neat idea, but how long do such memory devices really last? Could you plug it into the port on a Blu Ray player and listen to them? I spend too much time in front of the PC already. ;)

I also have doubts that other music labels will be so generous in letting people make backups if this catches on.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
What are you guys listening to this Apple USB set on? And how are you processing the 24 bit though?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

What are you guys listening to this Apple USB set on? And how are you processing the 24 bit though?
I would like to know the answer, too. My Pioneer Elite receiver has a front USB port that will play MP3's, but I do not know if it would handle these FLAC files.

Anyway, after already getting the stereo and mono sets, I cannot imagine spending another $200 on this.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson (and Scott),

I don't listen to the Beatles this way, and really have no desire to despite what my good friend wrote about the USB item. But I will get back to this thread if/when he continues his dialog with me. I'm sure others in this thread know a good deal more about the equipment than I. Hopefully they will be able to provide an answer for either of you.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Scott. It will be interesting to learn more about how one can play back FLAC files.

Part of the reason why I asked is also how one can tell these sound that much better. I don't plan to buy the Apple USB. I've heard that the professionals who have listened to the FLAC files have said they do a sound good, but not enough to say it's that much better then the CD's.

So are people listening to the FLAC files on really high end equipment? Through headphones? I'm sure these files sound really great.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
It costs nothing to test your equipments compatibility, just rip a CD to flac and give it a try. Many players of different variety should have no trouble with it, you don't even need something with a USB port, most dvd/bluray players should be able to play the files burned to CD (as actual flac files, not an audio CD).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
But won't the FLAC files, when burned to a CD be downconverted from 24-bit to the standard 16-bit rate for CD's? Seems like that would defeat the purpose of these FLAC files.

I don't fully understand all the numbers and technical bits. That's why I was wondering, can one even be able to process the 24-bit rate.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
You don't burn them as an Audio CD, just the files directly as a Data disc. What bluray player are you using Nelson, I can try and check it's compatibility?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Opps, I missed that little bit. You did say to burn them at FLAC files. I see. I can see if my player can do FLAC. Though it's not a priority for me right now. Just a curiosity as to how it would work.

Thanks

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Even if your BD player could play the FLAC files on a CD, wouldn't the player still require the ability to play music files via a USB port for these Beatles files -- assuming the FLAC files are copy protected?

According to my Pioneer Elite receiver's manual, it can play 8 and 16 bit FLAC files, but there is no mention of 24 bit support. I also have an Oppo 980H universal DVD player with a USB port, but there is no mention of FLAC support for this model on Oppo's website. My Sony BD player's USB port is for BD-Live storage only.

Anyway, like Nelson, this is more of a curiosity for me than anything else.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
They're not copy protected. As a matter of fact .flac is a free open-source codec designed for easily storing/moving/managing your music. Which is why, even if it takes a little work, most people should be able to enjoy the higher-res audio.

For instance Scott, you could burn the files as a DVD-Audio disc and play them in your Oppo at full resolution.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks, Zack. I have never used FLAC, so I did not realize that it could not be copy protected. I'd never considered the option of authoring a DVD-Audio disc, either (those darn obsolete formats ). It certainly would be an interesting experiment.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
My buddy wrote to me today. He still hasn't answered the questions I put to him, but he did have much to offer in the way of specs. Most that know of this have probably seen the material already. I'm hoping some of it is new.

Product Description

The exquisitely crafted, apple-shaped USB drive is loaded with the critically acclaimed re-mastered audio for The Beatles' 14 stereo titles, as well as all of the re-mastered CDs visual elements, including 13 mini-documentary films about the studio albums, replicated original UK album art, rare photos and expanded liner notes. A specially designed Flash interface has been installed, and the 16GB USB's audio and visual contents will be provided in FLAC 44.1 Khz 24 bit and MP3 320 Kbps formats, fully compatible with PC and Mac.

Packaging:

Black lift-top box (3.59"Wx3.59"Dx2.87"H)

Green Aluminum Apple (50mm wide x 48.5mm high)

Product specs:

16GB USB stick housed in a green aluminum apple

Contains full contents of The Beatles' stereo box set

*Please Please Me

*With The Beatles

*Hard Day's Night

*Beatles For Sale

*Help

*Rubber Soul

*Revolver

*Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

*Magical Mystery Tour

*The Beatles (White Album)

*Yellow Submarine

*Let It Be

*Abbey Road

*Past Masters I & II

*All stereo songs in FLAC (44.1khz) and in DRM-free MP3 (320kpbs) with a one-click 'Export To Media Player' function

*13 mini-documentaries in MPEG4 video format

*Custom-designed FLASH player menu system with full booklet artwork, album cover wallpapers and photo gallery.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So, Scott, did you ever get to watch the Anthology DVDs? What did you think?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Sam Favate

If you don't want to go to that thread, here is the most recent post:

There are a ton of threads on the Anthology (5-DVD) series. I thought I'd post some of my thoughts here.

I watched Part One of Anthology two nights ago, and it was superb. Sure, I'd seen many of the clips before, but hearing what the Beatles had to say about the formation of the group, and seeing the excellent montages that were accompanying much of the dialogue, sure was a treat.

An added bonus was hearing and seeing McCartney (while he was being interviewed) play tunes from their early days, as well as some music of other bands that were popular at the time. His playing was very clean -- I was quite impressed with how good it was for the Anthology series.

We watched part one again last night, and then followed it with a viewing of part two. Whomever was responsible for the editing during the opening segment of part two on the Please Please Me album ought to be commended. That was some of the best editing I've ever seen involving the Beatles aurally and visually. And when they got to the performances of Twist and Shout, the editing was again exceptional. Some of the tunes included on Please Please Me followed one another not only with regard to what was occurring visually, but also as far as key relationships are concerned. That was astonishing to hear, actually.

I've owned the Cavern clip for several years. Still, I've not seen nor heard Some Other Guy quite this way before. And whenever I hear the 1958 recording of the Fabs doing Holley's That'll Be the Day (b/w In Spite Of All the Danger), I get chills. Sure, I've owned both recordings via several means for many years, but hearing the actual acetate never fails to captivate me. And being able to track down that acetate would be quite an amazing thing. (N.B.: I've thought for years that John or Paul owned this record in their private collections; however, according to what I heard during part one last night, it is not in their possession at the current time.)

The clips were wonderful in places. Some I'd seen before, while others were new to me. I've owned the Sweden, Palladium, and Royal Variety concerts (both on video and on LP) since the late 1970s, but it was still great to see them in this condition. When they got around to doing the track-by-track analysis of With the Beatles, I was crossing my fingers that I'd see and hear a never-before-seen clip of my favorite track from that album, Not A Second Time, but it was not to be.

Concluding part two with the Beatles' arrival in America on February 7th, 1964 was very appropriate. And the concluding music (Leave My Kitten Alone for part one and One After 909 for part two) holds a special significance for me, as these tunes were difficult to come by in the mid-1970s. And speaking of rarer tunes, I was pleasantly surprised to hear I'll Be On My Way in the background accompanying some of the earlier footage. Someone really knew what they were doing with this series. This is a fabulous piece of history, and I'm thrilled that we have it for all time.

I will probably watch part two again before moving on to part three. There is so much material here, that watching each part once is simply not enough to take it all in.

Addendum: After re-watching The Real Buddy Holly Story, I was reminded that the acetate is shown there. Perhaps Ringo forgot who owns the record at this point? I was a bit confused by his statement, seeing as how Paul (at least in my mind) owned the original.

Another segment I found enchanting was how Paul related their travels to other towns in England for the sole purpose of ... learning guitar chords. His story of how he went to a neighboring town just to find out how to play a B7 chord, and how he would then return home to show his friends that he had learned it, was heartwarming. In a way, it reminded me of J. S. Bach's travels to see the playing of D. Buxtehude some 230 years earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks