What's new

Beatles in Mono. (1 Viewer)

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Thanks for the input, Travis and Mike. I'll leave him a carefully worded, but positive, feedback.

I was not asked to return the box, so I suppose I can at least check out the music while I continue to save up my pennies for the genuine article. But I doubt I'll do more than give these a cursory listen; I really despise counterfeits.

- Mark

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

You can't go wrong with the mono. and stereo. sets. They're both superb, and worth every penny in my opinion.
FWIW, I collect (and love) boots, counterfeits, and pirated versions. But that is probably because I am an avid collector of Beatles music (and have been since the late 1960s). My LP collection numbers around 280 different album covers at present, my CD collection, nearly 200 different Beatles albums, and my sound cassette collection, around eighty albums. There is, of course, much overlap in music between these three formats.

neli

Grip
Real Name
neli moss
Originally Posted by Ockeghem

Personally, I prefer SPLHCB and a few of their very earliest albums in mono. Sometimes the stereo recordings, while fun to listen to, give an 'unreal' performance of a track. Sometimes I find myself putting on a different set of ears when listening to various of their tracks in stereo or mono.

I really like the article of beatles in mono that you have shared with all of us.

Blair G

Second Unit
Real Name
Blair G.
I've been listening to the Mono discs again in recent weeks, this time more critically.

Have the original 1987 discs in stereo but haven't played them in awhile. Don't have the 2009 stereo discs, yet.

So this is not a "Mono vs. Stereo" comparison on my part.

Though I can't quite put my finger on why, I'm finding these mono discs uninvolving, almost boring, to listen to.

Not noticing any mix differences and not expressing a preference for the stereo.

Didn't grow up with the group...those 1987 CDs were the first time I'd owned a Beatles album (other than a couple of comps.).

So it's not like the stereo versions were imprinted into my brain at a young age.

Based on what I've read I expected some sort of minor revelation but, for me, it's not there.

Still need to buy the 3 stereo only albums (Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road and Let It Be).

Am considering springing for the entire Stereo Box set instead.

Dave S.G.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
For what it's worth, I find the early albums in mono much better than the hard-panning new stereo mixes which, if listened to on earphones, is a bit schizophrenic. I was raised basically with the 1987 CDs and find that from Sgt. Pepper onward I prefer the stereo mixes, but appreciate some of the mono's nuances.

I know my local library stocks all the 2009 stereo CDs and you may want to check yours just to sample before investing in the box (if money's tight) or, dare I blaspheme, get the new Red Album to get you the early "essentials". I would definitely invest in their later, stereo-only CDs, of course. Also depending on your taste I'd consider the 1999 Yellow Submarine songtrack. It has my favorite mixes of Nowhere Man and Eleanor Rigby because it was remixed in stereo, but with the sound centered, not panning.

I haven't listened to the remixes in a few months now. Thanks for putting me in the mood. Will pop them in the ol' iPod today.

Originally Posted by Blair G

Though I can't quite put my finger on why, I'm finding these mono discs uninvolving, almost boring, to listen to.

Not noticing any mix differences and not expressing a preference for the stereo.

Didn't grow up with the group...those 1987 CDs were the first time I'd owned a Beatles album (other than a couple of comps.).

So it's not like the stereo versions were imprinted into my brain at a young age.

Based on what I've read I expected some sort of minor revelation but, for me, it's not there.

Still need to buy the 3 stereo only albums (Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road and Let It Be).

Am considering springing for the entire Stereo Box set instead.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Has anyone picked in the Dylan in mono box? I did, and I think it's great. Meticulous attention to detail in every way, and the records sound great.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Quote: Sam Favate
Has anyone picked in the Dylan in mono box? I did, and I think it's great. Meticulous attention to detail in every way, and the records sound great.

I picked it upl, and I can honestly say, I'll never listen to the stereo versions of those albums ever again. the solo acoustic material now sounds correct instead of having the vocals in one channel, and the guitar in the other. the full band songs sound much livelier as well. I'm extremely pleased with that Dylan mono set, I'll probably rebuy the vinyl version in December! If your a Dylan fan, it's a must buy.

I've listened to the Beatles Mono set a few times, and still really prefer the mono over the stereo versions. While the stereo versions undoubtedly have a larger sound field, the gimmicky panning mixes/vocals on one side thing distract me. On headphones their practically unlistenable too since hearing the mono versions. The only one that gets a bit of a pass for me is The White Album, where the stereo mix sounds a bit more proper (modern?) and lets face it, "I've got blisters on my fingers!" is pretty irresistible and missing in mono.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I picked up the Dylan set, too. Along with some of the reviewers at Amazon, I was a little peeved about

the way they handled 'Positively 4th Street'. Yes, I know they included a code for a 'high quality'

download, but I wanted to own the song on a (pressed) CD. So, I bit the bullet, and bought the single-disc

compilation, which does include 'Positively 4th Street'.

thatreat

Auditioning
Real Name
joe
I've been curious about the Dylan box set. I'm not nearly as big a Dylan fan as I am a Beatles fan, but I may have to check out a couple albums at least.

One of my favorite Beatle tracks in mono is definitely Revolution. That song totally got ruined once it was mixed in stereo with the guitars and vocals going to one channel and the vocals, bass and drums going to the other.

I liked the article from the initial post of this thread too.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The Crankshaft comic strip had some days related to getting the Beatles in Mono as a Christmas gift. Today, they had another one.

http://cserver.king-online.com/content/Crankshaft?date=2011-01-02&referer=http://www.dailyink.com&uid=xvkv6o&token=xk8dch&size=hires

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks