1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Beatles in Mono.

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ockeghem, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

While the purist in me may have struggled with the concept, I quickly got over it and did really enjoy the DVD-A mixes on Love. As you stated, Mike, the audio fidelity of the lossless mix is incredible. The mixes themselves are certainly a different take on the music, but if you accept them for what George Martin and son were trying to accomplish, they are quite enjoyable listening.

Nelson, Rubber Soul should be covered in the next part of my Anthology viewing. Thanks for the heads up on the cover art discussion.

Unfortunately, I never bought into laserdiscs, so I cannot use LD as a source for The Compleat Beatles. I do vividly recall buying the VHS copy, though -- it was the first pre-recorded VHS tape I ever purchased back in the mid-1980's. Also, this tape was my main driver for figuring out a way to "back up" VHS to DVD-R, as I assume this excellent documentary will never be released in a newer home video format.

2. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Originally Posted by Nelson Au

I have read much on the constitution of the albums, and on the cover art. But there is something very nice about hearing the members of the Fab Four talk about it. John had high praise for the actual music on the album. :)

3. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    Wasting time?

I recently received by Mono Box Set and am enjoying the music of my high school and early college years, in mono yet! I decided to opt for redundancy and get the stereo box set as well. It should be delivered soon.

My question is whether burning CD-Rs using Windows Media lossless is worthwhile. I thought at first that making CD-R backups would be a good way to prevent damage to the original discs. However, I can fit the first four CDs in lossless format onto one CD-R. Is that an indication that something has been lost? Or is it just the small file size of mono recordings? If I'm not burning the full disc, I really shouldn't bother. I've already burned the discs to my iPod for casual listening in the car. The CD-Rs would be for more critical listening on my two channel system.

4. Scott Merryfield

Lossless compression means that no information is lost, so in theory it should sound identical. However, do you have the ability to play those lossless compression files on your critical listening system?

I burned CD-R backups for listening in my car (I never take original CD's in the car), but my car system cannot even play MP3, so it was standard redbook CD format in my case. Luckily, the shorter length of most of the albums allows me to combine two albums per CD-R. I have to cut out a couple of songs for The White Album, but I cannot stand Revolution #9, which gets me most of the way there just by cutting that song.

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Some lossless formats can reduce the file size by 50% or more. The first few Beatles albums are very short IIRC, and two could fit onto a single 80 minute CD-R without compression, so it's not surprising you could fit four onto one CD-R especially if you are using a really efficient lossless codec.

But as Scott did, I also burned archival copies because quite frankly I want to keep these originals in as pristine shape as possible for years to come. I used exactaudiocopy to burn a bit-for-bit image onto my computer and then purchased some Taiyo-Yuden CD-Rs (under the Maxell Pro label at a local Frys) to make my copies. When I have the time, money, and inclination I'll probably spring for some Mitsui MAM gold CD-Rs (considered the best in the industry, Taiyo-Yudens are second) and re-burn everything.

6. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    I do not quite agree with not doing remixes of the stereo versions. These albums are so short, they could easily have put out CDs with both the original stereo mixes and with new stereo mixes which rectify the horrible "vocals one side; instruments the other side". The sounds themselves would still be original; only the mixing would be new. And you would still have the original mixes on the same CD.

I do not yet have any of the new CDs. I prefer mono for most of the early albums. I really don't want to plunk down $200+ for yet more Beatles stuff (I, too have been collecting for many years). I really wish the mono mixes had been released singly. For now, I making do with CDs I made of my mono LPs.

7. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

That would be a noble thing to do, remixes alongside the original mixes. but the recording studios are not so noble, as are the publishing companies. They would probably insist that both sets of same songs be charged as twice the royalties. It would lend further proof as to why the mono and stereo where not simply put onto one disc. They could have easily done this with the first 9 albums, but they didn't. There is some element of Beatles legal department that would not give consumers two Beatles albums for the price of one, and of course very few of the mainstream public would pay even for a single Beatles album at twice the price.
    As for re-mixing, one of the problems is some of the session tapes are missing from the vaults.It may not be possible to remix all the albums. I would say that they would definitely try to remix the later albums, but the early albums will likely not get remixed. Abbey Road and Sgt. Pepper. White album uncertain, it would be a challenge to remix Revolution 9.

8. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Here's a new toy for the Beatles fan who wants everything: an Apple-shaped USB stick that contains the entire stereo remastered catalog (in both 320kbps MP3 and 44.1 Khz 24 bit FLAC, including all the artwork, liner notes, and mini-documentaries):

http://beatles.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Store.woa/wa/product?sourceCode=BEAWEB&sku=BEA48315

It looks cool, but I keep telling myself that for $279, I don't need it...

- Steve

9. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

The 24-bit part is interesting. Seems like we're being offered 16/44 cd, then we get 24/44 USB, leading up to (presumably) 24/96 on BD. The ultimate triple-dip in record time! :) Then there's vinyl...hopefully

On another note, I've really been enjoying losslessly streaming the monos to my bedside Grace internet radio. Sounds wonderful at the low volumes I ask of it, and such a radio (minus the streaming ;) ) is probably what they had in mind as a likely destination for the mixes.

10. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Sorry...double.

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Sounds like supposition to me. How do you explain the "Capitol Albums" box sets which all have the stereo and mono versions on the same disc?

12. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I dunno, Jack. I thought the Beatles were supposed to be listened-to on something like this:

[​IMG]

13. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

14. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I tried one but my network couldn't find it. :)

15. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris

I was using the Windows Media Player that came with Vista. Not sure how efficient its lossless codec is. I was going to download exactaudiocopy, but McAfee warned that the download was dangerous, with viruses and spyware, so I did not.

What's the word on Windows Media Player? I assume not so good.

16. Scott Merryfield

I use Exact Audio Copy, too. I am not sure why you received a security warning, but the program works very well. I use an external LAME MP3 encoder plug-in with EAC for MP3 encoding, but also used just EAC to rip the CD's to my PC for burning -- for some reason Nero could not copy the stereo CDs directly.

17. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

They were not working with the original stereo masters, Capitol had duplicate masters, one that might be another generation down, and also had reverb added and duophonic stereo in some cases. I believe they fall under those albums legacy US catalog, but the UK catalog is a different model altogether. Plus the Capitol box sets were aimed at collectors, as was the UK mono box set. I don't think the stereo masters are marketed towards collectors, yet they did not want to make a stereo CD aimed at collectors, and one aimed at mass market. So they compromised and came out with elaborate covers to spiff up the albums jackets and a stereo box set for the collectors.

18. NeilO

NeilO Producer

I see that the mono set is widely available again. I was in Borders today and saw a copy on the shelf - if I had had a good coupon on hand I probably would have bought it then and there. I see that Barnes & Noble online has it for 20% off (more off if you are a member) and Amazon also has it for 20% off. Deep Discount has it for 30% off. Still it is quite expensive. I bought a number of the stereo CDs the first week on sale. I am really tempted. ...

19. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

I would recommend it if you are tempted. It's a beautiful set and supposedly it still is not going to be around forever.

20. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I found The Beatles Stereo Box set today at Costco. Not sure this is has been discussed here or in the Bargain thread, didn't see any mention. It was at the surprisingly low price of $174.00. I checked Amazon's price and that's $4 less then Amazon.