What's new

Banana Plugs Needed? (1 Viewer)

MikeGee

Second Unit
Are Banana plugs really needed for anything other than a cleaner looking connection? I cant see sound being any clearer when it passes from a copper wire through to a gold plated plug. I have a Pioneer 1014 as my receiver.

Brad E

Second Unit
Your right, they do nothing for sound quality. If you anticipate unhooking wires a lot, it may be worth the price.

BrentCook

Auditioning
The cheapest ones I have found are a screw down type at Radio Shack. $2.50 a pair. I'm comparing some speakers right now, and they make life a lot easier. They also eliminate any chance of a stray strand of wire shorting out the terminals.

I think they are worth it, 5 bucks per speaker isn't bad. :emoji_thumbsup:

Oh, they have gold ones for $5 a pair at Home Depot. I don't care about looks, so I passed.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
that's the main reason i use them. plus they look kinda cool.

brent mentions the screw down type - i think he means the compression style plugs. those are *definitely* the kind to use. don't use the ones where you simply twist the wire onto the plugs - those always come loose - especially if you have heavy wire.

make sure the plugs somehow "clamp" the wire.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
I don't care much how they look. Occasionally stuff comes unplugged (moving stuff around, cats misbehaving). Plugging in a banana jack is a lot easier then anything else. That's why I use them. And they don't mess up the sound.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I give them an A+ on safety, and use them. Only takes one loose strand of copper wire to sort of ruin your day if you know what I mean. :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I use them for both my systems for ease of use and safety factor. When I home audition speakers, it's really handy to just swap the plugs.

JohnRage

Auditioning
I have found that if you twist the ends of your wires and then solder them they do not fray and make for good solid connections into the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks