What's new

Basic questions about home theater wired living room (1 Viewer)

bachree

Auditioning
Real Name
bahri
HT forum,
this is my first post in this forum and i have some basic questions. I recently moved to a house with living room pre wired for four satellite speakers. Below are the pictures of the banana plugs for the satellite speakers and the panel on the wall. IMG_20160410_103043.jpg IMG_20160410_103108.jpg
I did some googling and learnt that i need to purchase an A/V receiver and 5.1 speaker system that'd go with it.

My question is whether i can buy a quality sound bar system without and A/V receiver (i don't want any additional device) and connect the satellites to the existing plugs on the ceiling? I have no idea whether the plugs and ports i currently have are compatible with sound bars? I don't know what kind of connection sound bars use.

My other question is what is the gauge of the wire i have? Length of the wire in the back of the room is 16-18 ft and wondering if this gauge wire is good enough for the distance (plugs are monster brand).

I'll connect a laptop, PS4 and amazon fire to my TV through HDMI port and will use the optical audio out (i assume). I don't have cable subscription.

Let me know if you all have any further questions.
Thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
soundbars can not be used here. There is not a single one that can be used.

An AVR for this is under $200.

And for 5 speakers(since it is wired for 7) use front/center/side(as labelled).

bachree

Auditioning
Real Name
bahri
wall plate have 7 ports but actually there are 4 satellite holes wired on walls. can you recommend a specific receiver? thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Whatever the lowest price one at Accessories4less is today. Be it an Onkyo, Yamaha or Denon.

Whatever it is will have at least 3 HDMI.

And it will be the hub....not the TV.

The only feature you might look for is "HDMI pass through in standby". That is the feature you need if you want to "just watch the news" without the AVR being on.

Not sure if that exists on "the lowest" AVR or not. But it will exist at $250 and up.

Extra from that is "HDMI switching in standby". Meaning if you want to go from laptop to Amazon Fire(or PS4) without turning on the AVR to switch inputs...that additional feature will exist at $350 and up.

Then it depends if you want remote apps for android/apple/Spotify/Pandora etc...cause once you get to $300...everything has networking.

bachree

Auditioning
Real Name
bahri

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Again...

There are zero, as in none...at all, period, sound bars that will EVER work in this situation.

If you buy that sound bar(or any self-powered/contained) you won't use the pre-wired speakers.

bachree

Auditioning
Real Name
bahri

citywalker

Agent
Real Name
Marco
Subwoofer is self-powered (active) and works well. You can use 500W, 1000W or whatever subwoofer, it just has to be active.
There is no need to look these RMS Watts in speakers. This system will work together, no problem.

bachree

Auditioning
Real Name
bahri
I picked up a Polk 5.1 speaker system off Craigslist for $60
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1dplaI76YHQ/p_700RM6600B/Polk-RM6600-System-with-black-satellites.html
2016-04-17 14.47.19.jpg

I'm currently looking for a receiver and found this one for $250
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-CDZmdkWQeSC/p_022RXV575/Yamaha-RX-V575.html

do you guys think it is a good value? Is it missing any important feature? One thing i would like to be able to do is stream from Pandora using an Android phone.

If not which receiver would you recommend (new)?
Thanks,

bachree

Auditioning
Real Name
bahri
Denon looks like a very good choice.
I think i will track it for a while and get it when it discounts again since i won't be utilizing the system for 2-3 months. Looks like they sold the new ones for the price of refurb in the past.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
The Yamaha is on a discount from it's normal $280 I'm not sure if the denon will follow suit as it's that time of year when the new models come out. Nothing wrong with keeping an eye out but don't wait too long because sometimes the lower price only lasts a week or two at best before they push the new models.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
They are going to be very close as they are both the entry level AVR's from both companies. They are built to a specific price point and both come with the same features. That being said they both have 5.1/5/.2, 4k, Bluetooth, and auto setup/room correct built in. The Denon bring another sub out and one more HDMI but the Yamaha probably has been room setup in YPAO. They are both solid choices for entry level AVR's I'm a Denon guy but Yamaha has their fans too.

bachree

Auditioning
Real Name
bahri
Do you have an idea when might Denon release new entry level receiver model? I might just wait and get new release since i'm not going to use it for a few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks