What's new

B&N Criterion Sale starts July 10, 2020! (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
However, I suppose "certain designated promotions and sales" could certainly apply to the Criterion sales. Such an inclusion would be regrettable but definitely understandable. However, excluding any of the routine lower advertised discounts would not seem to be supported in this policy.

That can be the catchall phrase and can basically mean just about anything they want -- basically any item already on sale for less than MSRP. If they at least narrowed to 40%+ sales then you'd think they'd at least have a running start at boiling the frog since they've
already done Sales last year which specifically listed No Additional member discount, they stopped allowing the discount on most/all clearance items, and several other designated groups of items even if not on sale.

ArnoldLayne

Premium
Real Name
Chris
And multiple reports of people buying 20-30% off items in store and the membership will not apply.

I'm all for supporting B&N to say the least, but for most folks why are you giving them $25 a year for nothing.
No Welcome coupons, no general coupons, no 10% off on in-store purchases, even Free Shipping now has increasing limitations regardless of the amt of the order. In order to sell a Membership, the member really has to see some benefit. Getting 10% a full MSRP of
an item bought just about anywhere else for 30-40% off MSRP isn't going to entice many people

Mine renewed in May and I'm not giving it back for this year, but if this is the new reality it will be my last year.
OTOH I donate to many organizations between 5 and $35 per month, so for $2.10 per month I will keep my BN membership. I would hate to see them go away.

24fpsNinja

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
In the past, I probably spent $2.00-$3.00 in gas money to go into my local B&N and utilize my membership discount. The fact that we spend money to PHYSICALLY shop at their stores appears to be lost on them. I will give it one shot this weekend. If I am denied, then I will simply shop from home, save the gas money, and enjoy my free shipping instead. They can’t take that away from my membership......or can they?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
In the past, I probably spent $2.00-$3.00 in gas money to go into my local B&N and utilize my membership discount. The fact that we spend money to PHYSICALLY shop at their stores appears to be lost on them. I will give it one shot this weekend.

I don't actually know if my local B&N is open for in-store shopping. They might be doing curbside pickup of online orders, but we've been particularly hard hit with the virus of late here.

Over the last couple of years, a Criterion sale would get me into the store, but this year I'm just going to stay home and let the website ship it. Last summer around this time I got Tootsie and two summers ago I had a little adventure getting the Before Trilogy.

If you do go to the store, good luck. That might sound snarky, which is not my intent, but I seriously mean I hope you can stay safe while shopping.

I've got my three most wanted Criterions sitting in my B&N online cart waiting for the price drop to take effect tomorrow.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The sale is active (not all prices have been updated as of this writing).

The blurb says " For a limited time, get 50% off select Criterion Blu-rays & DVDs online and in stores now through 8/2!"

Some pre-orders are up eg The Lady Eve on blu-ray or DVD and Marriage Story on DVD but not blu-ray.

I put Bruce Lee in my wish list (kicking and yelling ;)) as the price has not gone down :(. But I did get one order in ...
War of the Worlds

Director: Byron Haskin
Cast: Les Tremayne, Ann Robinson, Gene…

Arrives by: Thursday, July 16
1 $19.99 Processing
Destry Rides Again
Destry Rides Again

Director: George Marshall
Cast: Charles Winninger, Marlene…

1 $19.99 Processing
Lady Eve
Lady Eve

Director: Preston Sturges
Cast: Charles Coburn, Barbara…

This is a pre-order item

Currently scheduled to ship on July 14, 2020
1 $19.99 Pre-Order
Expected to ship on 07/14/2020 Cancel Item
Criterion Collection: Six Moral Tales
Criterion Collection: Six Moral Tales

Director: Criterion

$49.99

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Some pre-orders are up eg The Lady Eve on blu-ray or DVD and Marriage Story on DVD but not blu-ray.

I've got Marriage Story on Blu-ray in my cart right now. Here is the link:

I assume the Bruce Lee set price will go down. I refreshed my cart a few times over the course of the last hour and watched as each of the items I have in there was slashed one at a time, rather than all at once. I bet they'll get to that one soon for you.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, crap. My credit card billing cycle ends today, so I was waiting until morning to place my order. In the interim, Inside Llewyn Davis went out of stock online, even though it was in stock less than an hour ago. It is in stock at my local store, so I could mark it for pickup, but given that we are getting particularly hard hit with the virus right now, I don't want to go out for an errand. Does anyone know how quickly the website restocks Criterions during the sale or have any other suggestions?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Well, crap. My credit card billing cycle ends today, so I was waiting until morning to place my order. In the interim, Inside Llewyn Davis went out of stock online, even though it was in stock less than an hour ago. It is in stock at my local store, so I could mark it for pickup, but given that we are getting particularly hard hit with the virus right now, I don't want to go out for an errand. Does anyone know how quickly the website restocks Criterions during the sale or have any other suggestions?
Sometimes it can cycle in as little as a few hours. You could check back later. Sometimes in the past Amazon has had pricing close to (or lower) the the 50% price during the B&N sales.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So I just placed my B&N order before the herd hits it later this morning

WAR AND PEACE
COME & SEE

$47.96 shipped

They were out of stock on 3:10 TO YUMA which I really wanted. So, I have to wait for a price drop on Amazon or use my coupons when Criterion runs their own sales.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, this is not my day.

First, Inside Llewyn Davis went out of stock online as I mentioned a couple hours ago. Now, The Squid and the Whale is also out of stock online. So the only one of the three that they could ship to me from the website is Marriage Story, which can't go out of stock yet because it's a pre-order and not out yet.

If I buy Marriage Story on its own, that is not enough to trigger free shipping, which would make it ~$27 with shipping. At that point I might as well stick with Amazon which is $27.99 with Prime shipping.

Edit: Although I have pretty much decided that the three titles I mentioned are the ones I want to get during this sale, I just started searching B&N for other Criterions that I was prioritizing for another time, and most of them are temporarily out of stock as well. The sale has only been active for a few hours and it's late at night and titles are already disappearing quickly, and I'm not even talking about new releases. I suspect this means that B&N was unprepared for this sale and maybe only had a few copies of each title in stock. For me to be finding several different ones all going out of stock within the first few hours at night, that's weird. Like, if it were one or two titles I wanted that would be a coincidence. But I've now looked at like ten and the overwhelming majority are saying sold out. Just...like...really B&N? I don't want to complain about the sale, but if they don't have enough units to go around, then the sale is not very useful. I wish they would at least let you order it and ship when they get things back in stock, as Amazon sometimes does, but that's not the case here.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm skipping this sale as I either have what I really wanted or have ordered certain titles from Criterion and Target.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, I am going to answer my own question here...

You absolutely need to check back....often.

3:10 TO YUMA was not available early this morning. Now, suddenly, they have stock.

I can't cancel or modify my order to save on shipping.

So, I am debating whether I want to spend the money to buy this under those circumstances.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So, I am going to answer my own question here...

You absolutely need to check back....often.

3:10 TO YUMA was not available early this morning. Now, suddenly, they have stock.

I can't cancel or modify my order to save on shipping.

So, I am debating whether I want to spend the money to buy this under those circumstances.
May I suggest Destry Rides Again to save on shipping or The Lady Eve.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
Well, I put the following in my cart last night and was able to order them with no problem this morning:

Destry Ride Again
War of the Worlds
Lady Eve
Show Boat
Holiday

Thanks for the advance notice that this sale was happening!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I was up at midnight and saw the sale went active, got my order in for The Great Escape and War of the Worlds.

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
I was surprised at the number of titles out of stock for shipping. I wanted "Easy Rider" and "Punch Drunk Love". I did get "The War of the Worlds" and "The Manchurian Candidate".

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I hope someone will confirm whether the 10% off membership discount for in store purchases is available or not.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks