What's new

B&N Criterion Sale starts July 10, 2020! (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's a bust for me. Any title I'd be interested in owning is OOS online

I thought the exact same thing as you last night and this morning, and I was really ticked off. You can see the posts. But then everything I wanted to get in this order returned to stock this afternoon. Keep checking. I bet you'll get lucky before the end of the sale.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Member 10% off was still active about 6pm EST. Unfortunately the store I was at sold out of War of the Worlds & The Grand Budapest Hotel earlier in the day. I inquired if they knew how many of the Bruce Lee sets they were getting in & the lady said they had received 5 copies already and I was able to put one on hold for next week.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The two in-stock discs I bought online a few hours ago have gone out of stock again for the second time in less than 24 hours. :laugh:

I got my order in so I'm going to get them. But this just demonstrates that B&N is going to have a bunch of stuff going in and out of stock over and over again routinely throughout the duration of the sale. So as others have said, if you don't see something you want in stock now, check back.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Here's something interesting. I picked up Destry Rides Again and The Cameraman at my local store, and asked the guy checking me out what their return policy is. I like to keep track how they change at different merchants and I don't go to B&N much. He told me 30 days and... the media can be opened. I questioned him about this and he confirmed it. Reading my receipt on the way out, I saw it said 30 days, unopened. I turned around and told him this, and he guaranteed me it could be opened regardless of what the receipt says. On my previous trip I'm pretty sure it was 14 days, and I haven't seen a physical store accept opened media since about 2003. Is there something I don't know?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Here's something interesting. I picked up Destry Rides Again and The Cameraman at my local store, and asked the guy checking me out what their return policy is. I like to keep track how they change at different merchants and I don't go to B&N much. He told me 30 days and... the media can be opened. I questioned him about this and he confirmed it. Reading my receipt on the way out, I saw it said 30 days, unopened. I turned around and told him this, and he guaranteed me it could be opened regardless of what the receipt says. On my previous trip I'm pretty sure it was 14 days, and I haven't seen a physical store accept opened media since about 2003. Is there something I don't know?
My guess would be that they would let people return open items as a courtesy but if they recognize someone doing it habitually, it might be an issue. The receipt enables them to deny an open return in those cases.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I have previously been able to exchange an open disc if it is defective (or, technically, I guess it would also work if I claim it's defective since they're not actually going to pop it in a player in the store to test it) and I'm asking for a replacement of the same thing. I've never been able to return an open/used item just because I don't want it anymore.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Is not being able to order out of stock items at B&N new? I remember that was true at the Criterion Flash sales on their site but I don't recall that being a problem at the Barnes and Noble site. I usually buy in store or use ship to home to get the membership discount so that may be why this is unfamiliar to me though I don't recall not being able to order something they carry using ship to home.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Is not being able to order out of stock items at B&N new? I remember that was true at the Criterion Flash sales on their site but I don't recall that being a problem at the Barnes and Noble site. I usually buy in store or use ship to home to get the membership discount so that may be why this is unfamiliar to me though I don't recall not being able to order something they carry using ship to home.
My experience has been that you cannot order OOS Online but that once it becomes available... Unless you get the Dreaded "Only Available through the Marketplace" in which case it will not typically become available through B&N during the sale.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm hoping that the out of stock online for the Bruce Lee is just regarding pre-orders. When the official release date hits, perhaps there will be more released for sale? If not, there's always another 50%-off sale around the corner...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
When the official release date hits, perhaps there will be more released for sale?

I think you are right. Or it could even be sooner if you happen to look at the right moment. Stuff that was out of stock last night and this morning reappeared this afternoon just in time for me to buy it before going out of stock again. So they're apparently going to go on this merry-go-round of stock throughout the sale.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

It's been B&N standard for as long as I can remember. I have had active stock items later turned into backordered items which rarely would end getting cancelled outright if the next restock was more than 4 weeks out (seems std with ALLIANCE ENT clients), but I can't ever remember being allowed to order OOS items at all -- other than a very rare Instore ship to home order which they manually placed for me due to a store error in processing an order or selling an item I had on reservation for pickup

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I have had active stock items later turned into backordered items which rarely would end getting cancelled outright if the next restock was more than 4 weeks out

Hang on, am I understanding you correctly? You ordered an item that was in stock and then your copy became backordered after you already placed the order? And then they cancelled it on you? If so, that's messed up. Because the items I ordered today are back out-of-stock again a few hours after I ordered them, this is concerning. I do hope my copies are reserved and are going to be shipped promptly.

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
I bought six Criterion titles at my local Barnes & Noble store yesterday and I still got the extra 10% discount on all of them when I got to the register and the cashier entered my Barnes & Noble membership number. I couldn't believe it! Enjoy it while you can get it! Not sure if the extra 10% discount also applies when ordering titles from the Barnes & Noble website.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
got 'cluny brown' and 'death in venice' online- 'the war of the worlds' is out of stock both

online & my local store so i'll just keep an eye out or buy on their next sale.

i do love the criterion label but must wait for sales!!

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I acted quickly yesterday morning, and was able to order, online, Blu-ray editions of:

War of the Worlds
The Great Escape
The Cameraman
The Kid Brother
The Story of Temple Drake
Karel Zeman: Three Fantastic Journeys
Godzilla: The Showa Era Collection
The Bruce Lee Collection
(pre-order)

There were 5 further desired titles, all released some time ago, which were already out-of-stock (so couldn't be back-ordered). The local B&N isn't local enough for me, so I guess I'll just have to check in with the website for online availability, periodically, between now and August 2nd.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Picke-up All About Eve and Army of Shadows at my local B&N. Any suggestions on removing the discs from those rubbery hubs in the All About Eve BR, I thought the disc was going to break trying to release it. Not a fan of that design.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks