ScottHM

Premium
Real Name
Scott
I put seven titles in my cart the other day, woke up this morning to find that they were now all $19.99, and placed the order -- $21.25 per title at checkout. I'm happy.

---------------

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Criterion sent out an email announcing the sale.

THE CRITERION COLLECTION
JULY 10, 2020
The sale is here! Starting today, all Criterion Blu-rays and DVDs are 50% off at Barnes & Noble, both online and in stores, through August 2.

This includes new editions of Portrait of a Lady on Fire, The War of the Worlds, Come and See, Bruce Lee: His Greatest Hits, Marriage Story, Scorsese Shorts, Me and You and Everyone We Know, An Unmarried Woman, Bamboozled, and The Grand Budapest Hotel. And many more!​

Reactions: Peter Keller

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hooray!. Put my order for War of the Worlds and The Lady Eve in.

Quick question: Can you use multiple credit cards on a purchase? I've got some money left on a Visa Gift Card but need to back it up with my default.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Last month, Amazon discounted the price of the Roma Criterion editions to $17.99 for a bit. This of course caused a rush of orders, and it was "temporarily out of stock" when I saw it, but I was able to place my order anyway and they would deliver when they got it back in.

I waited 3 weeks to get it while they restocked. But I got it, for the price advertised.

B&N needs to invent a function like that. The number of titles I have looked at which have already gone out of stock since just last night is ridiculous. The sale is not worth anything if most of the titles are unavailable. I would be amenable to waiting a while for shipping if I could place the order now and have it restocked later, but I'm not going to go out to the store, even for curbside pickup. I look forward to going to my store every year during this sale, but it's just not worth it this year, which is why I wanted to do the online order in the first place.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Last month, Amazon discounted the price of the Roma Criterion editions to $17.99 for a bit. This of course caused a rush of orders, and it was "temporarily out of stock" when I saw it, but I was able to place my order anyway and they would deliver when they got it back in.

I waited 3 weeks to get it while they restocked. But I got it, for the price advertised.

B&N needs to invent a function like that. The number of titles I have looked at which have already gone out of stock since just last night is ridiculous. The sale is not worth anything if most of the titles are unavailable. I would be amenable to waiting a while for shipping if I could place the order now and have it restocked later, but I'm not going to go out to the store, even for curbside pickup. I look forward to going to my store every year during this sale, but it's just not worth it this year, which is why I wanted to do the online order in the first place.
I hear you, Jake. However, from my experience, stuff is suddenly showing up back in stock when you check hours later.

I don't know how a title I wanted was out of stock at 3am EST and then by 7am EST it was back in stock.

• Appreciate
Reactions: Jake Lipson

David Norman

Premium

But most of the titles will come back into stock well before the sale ends. There's always 1 or 2 stragglers and with the shortened sale maybe this time will be worse, but it 's pretty unusual for things to go OOS and stay that way. There's always a rush at the beginning of the sale and often Tues for popular new releases so give it a couple days to settle down

I got the 10% discount in-store this morning.
That was the worry given the purchases made over the last 2-3 weeks in-store and several managers/clerks have told people those were to be the new facts of lifer, but either that was a Reopening Glitch or somebody higher up though better of it and changed it back to the way it has been. So far several people in multiple regions have confirmed their discount has automatically applied

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
For a few days Best Buy had War of the Worlds (1953) "out of stock" and now this morning you can buy it but have to wait until July 20th or so to get it.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Travis I wouldn't have gone to the store without your post that the 10% off worked. I can also confirm that discount worked in store and in addition it worked with " ship to home." My store had none of the recent releases in stock that I wanted, though the website said they were all available for in store pick up. Perhaps someone bought them all or they were in the back and not put out for sale. Ship to home was available at the check out counter only as the customer service desk is closed. You wait on the line , tell the cashier you want to place a "ship to home order" and they send you to someone else at the counter. That person does the "ship to home " order and prints out the sheet. You then have to go back to the original cashier to pay. I had a bit of a problem as I renewed my membership today on the website. Big Mistake. My card still showed as expired at the store. They were able to confirm that I did renew but that the card hadn't updated yet. They manually gave me the 10% off.

Last edited:
Reactions: TravisR

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Do the stores have a Criterion section or do you need to look through all the titles?
There is a Criterion section at every B&N that I have been to that has a video department. Some B&N 's do not have that section but you can order videos at those stores using "ship to home" Blu rays and DVDS are mixed together so you do need to make sure you are buying a blu ray. Blu ray package usually smaller than DVD.

Last edited:

Paul Bosquet

Agent
Real Name
Paul
Picked up in store:
3:10 To Yuma
Notorious
Time Bandits
Rififi
Mulholland Dr.
Bob Dylan Don't Look Back
Ordered online:
Night Train To Munich
Lady Eve

Our closest B&N has a small section for Criterion, maybe 8ft wide. There is another story about 20 minutes away, may swing by there this weekend.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, I'm happy now after all.

Ron and David were correct. Both The Squid and the Whale and Inside Llewyn Davis showed up as restocked this afternoon, so I grabbed them. $63.63 shipped for them plus the pre-order of Marriage Story. The first two will arrive Friday, and Marriage Story will still ship free when it is released as the whole order was above $35.

I could probably place three or four orders of this size if I went browsing the catalog for other stuff I want, but in an attempt to be responsible, I'll stop there for now and stock up on more the next time a sale comes around. These were the most important titles to me that I hadn't gotten yet, so I am glad to be able to get them.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Do the stores have a Criterion section or do you need to look through all the titles?
My local store has one. I haven't been there since last year's sale, but it's there, and it seemed to me like they had a pretty good size selection too.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It's a bust for me. Any title I'd be interested in owning is OOS online and the local store was heavily damaged by a tornado around 6 weeks back. It's not yet reopened so there's no store pickup.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
conradfan