What's new

Avengers: Endgame SPOILERS ALLOWED THREAD (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t think they’ll undo any deaths that were left standing. I hope they don’t.

I can accept Loki coming back because they found a clever, in character way for an alternate version of him to survive. But I appreciate that Heimdall’s sacrifice at the beginning of Infinity War was for real.

My big worry for the time travel plot was that it was going to take away consequences which takes away story weight. They found a way to do time travel but in a fashion that didn’t undo the weight of Infinity War. The Avengers lost in Infinity War and while Endgame repairs a lot of the damage, it didn’t negate Infinity War. I really appreciate that.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
That's a really good point. It certainly means more for the ending of this version of the Avengers if the sacrifices they made mean something. Have to say, I was shocked that Nat died in this movie though. With the sorta announcement that Marvel will be doing a Black Widow movie soon, I thought there was no way that she would be one of the heroes that died. But obviously that was a red herring. Or, better yet, a signal to us as viewers that the movie they will be doing will give us more of her backstory and be set in the past.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I liked it a lot but have to admit I am a bit disappointed. Perhaps I went in with the wrong expectations. It’s completely different in tone from Infinity War.

Gotta let it digest a while.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I liked this better than Infinity War, which I liked a lot. I honestly don't know how they could have done much better. Killing Thanos early in the movie was brilliant. Turning the hero convention of self-sacrifice on its head continued, which I enjoyed a lot. There was so much love and care that went into crafting these final two movies, it made me wish I was younger so I could just stay there again and watch it a couple more times tonight (my theater record is watching The Empire Strikes Back five consecutive times one summer day when I was 15).

Something I especially enjoyed was the symmetry with the score (playing the same theme for the soul stone sequence in both films, and so on.) It was terrifically scored, I thought, harking back to other movies solely with the score.

It's so much fun to anticipate a big movie for years (in this case two big movie climaxes) and come home from the theater happy both times. I really appreciate that. It likely won't happen again on this scale in my lifetime.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Bringing back Alan Silvestri was a great call. Too many of the MCU films suffer from subpar music; I think it’s one of their consistent weak spots. Most of the individual heroes don’t have recognizable, repeated theme music from film to film, and I think that’s a failing. Bringing back Silvestri and his wonderful theme from the first Avengers movie is a step in the right direction.

Mrs. Carab

Auditioning
Real Name
Jo Anna
I confess these movies were an acquired taste because my husband was always wanting to see them, but by the time we got to Winter Soldier, Dr. Strange and Black Panther, I was all in.

Tonight was fantastic. I think I liked the end to this saga even more than my husband did. At least Tony got five years of happiness with Pepper and his daughter. I was glad Steve finally got that dance with Peggy, and maybe a whole lifetime with her too.

I can't say that I'm going to follow the next phase, but I truly enjoyed this multi-year experience and terrific conclusion, something I never would have made time for if not for my husband.

And who would have thought Ant Man would be the one to find the spark that eventually allowed them to save the universe!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I liked it a lot but have to admit I am a bit disappointed. Perhaps I went in with the wrong expectations. It’s completely different in tone from Infinity War.

Gotta let it digest a while.

I feel a little bit the same. I thought the pacing was off for the first third, but the last hour really worked for me.

I also had a lousy experience at the theater and had to be moved from my reserved seat seconds before the film started - that was a bit unnerving and I went from being exactly where I wanted to being in one of the last rows on the side, which I hate. So I’m not sure if the first third was really as off as it felt, or if it was just me that was off.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Because Guardians is my favorite sub-franchise of the MCU, my immediate most striking question coming out of Endgame was: what are the ramifications of not bringing the previous version of Gamora back to life? This allows her death in Infinity War to stick and maintain its weight and significance. But the alternate Gamora from 2014 got on that ship with the Guardians of the Galaxy at the end because Nebula told her she belongs there, not because she feels like she does. This version of Gamora did not experience the other films, or the time jump in between Vol. 2 and Infinity War, with the other Guardians; it's like how Groot from the first film who sacrificed himself for the group is gone, and Groot from Vol. 2 forward is a different character with his own set of memories and experiences.

The difference is that Groot said five words in the first Guardians movie. Gamora underwent an enormous amount of character development throughout those two films which is now completely gone from the version of her that we have now. That is going to change the dynamic for Volume 3 considerably with regard to her character and the relationship she has to the other Guardians.

I'm not pointing this out because I'm mad about it necessarily -- like I said, doing this allows Gamora's death in Infinity War to maintain its significance in a way that would be diminished if they had brought her back -- but I'm really curious to see what that means for Vol. 3.

Also, a single quick nitpick: I was surprised not to get a Carol/Fury reunion scene. Even though they were both at Tony's funeral, it felt like we needed to actually see them talk to each other. Even though we saw their adventure together seven weeks ago, for Carol it has been 28 years since she saw Fury, and for him 23 years. The best parts of her film rested on their interplay with each other, so not being shown the reunion between those characters felt like a mistake.

As far as what we did get in Endgame is concerned, overall I thought it was amazing but I need to sit with it some more and will comment more tomorrow, since it's really late here and I'm tired.

Good night everyone.

Last edited:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I also had a lousy experience at the theater and had to be moved from my reserved seat seconds before the film started - that was a bit unnerving and I went from being exactly where I wanted to being in one of the last rows on the side, which I hate. So I’m not sure if the first third was really as off as it felt, or if it was just me that was off.
This is the first time I have been to the theater since they started serving food during the movie. All the waiters walking around and the smell of so much food was distracting, especially when you add that to the already annoying cell phone lights and people talking, etc. And then right at the climax of the movie there are a bunch of waiters running around closing tickets and dropping off checks for everybody's meals. Very distracting, and even more exasperating that my wife and I seem to be the only ones who were annoyed.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
One last thing before I head off for the night just because I remember how infuriating it was: Before the movie, did anyone else get the Audi "short film" before the movie featuring Brie Larson as Captain Marvel being reintroduced to life on Earth through an Audi ad? I thought that was absolutely terrible, crass and annoying.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
As the culmination to the series of MCU moves up to now, Endgame was amazing. It looks like it had to have been the most expensive movie ever made, and from the final battle when all of the heroes return, through to the end - just seeing all the names on the credits, you just have to, um, marvel at the sheer audacity of this thing. The only problem for Disney/Marvel now is that I don't see any way that they're ever going to be able to top this.

- Fitting endings for the Tony Stark & Steve Rogers story arcs.

- They brought back everyone they could - even the kid from Iron Man 3 was there at Tony's funeral at the end. Thought that was a nice touch.

- I loved having the time travel serving to revisit scenes from prior films. I expected time travel to be a part of undoing the effects of the snap, but didn't expect the "Back to the Future 2" approach. And it served as a way to bring Mjolnir back into action at least for a while, too, speaking of which..

- Cap wielding Mjolnir got the biggest cheer from the audience I saw it with.

- "Make love, not war!" - Stan Lee's final cameo.

- I've never see the Agent Carter show and am not a comics reader, so the Jarvis reveal was something new & unexpected for me.

- Hulk SNAP! Loved that in the intervening 5 years Bruce had figured out a way to live with the Hulk.

- I didn't really catch how Tony got the stones away from Thanos, but I did expect him to be able to do something to be able to control the glove at that point since he built it.

- I was wondering what had happened to 2014 Gamora at the end too. Kinda thought they'd have her stick around as a way to bring her back permanently.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
One last thing before I head off for the night just because I remember how infuriating it was: Before the movie, did anyone else get the Audi "short film" before the movie featuring Brie Larson as Captain Marvel being reintroduced to life on Earth through an Audi ad? I thought that was absolutely terrible, crass and annoying.

Didn't get it here in Idaho either. Sounds completely unneccessary. Why would Audi would do this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks