1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Avengers: Endgame SPOILERS ALLOWED THREAD

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jake Lipson, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Message #281 of 753 Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Yeah. Thor was supposed to win Infinity War. He was supposed to kill Thanos and prevent the snap. He knew he could do it and he had the right tool to do it, but he missed. Then he managed to kill the guy after the fact, but doing so didn't actually solve the problem. That's a lot of guilt for one guy to face down. I felt his response was entirely consistent with his character. It's not cowardly; if anything, it makes him more human.

holtge, Josh Steinberg and Sean Bryan like this.
  2. Message #282 of 753 Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Joe Wong

Joe Wong Supporting Actor

This article appears to have a plausible explanation...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2019/04/29/the-avengers-endgame-plot-hole-is-not-really-a-plot-hole-at-all-spoilers/#30abac919e3d

What do you think?

The point he's making is that since Cap & Tony can go back in time without a platform (from NYC 2012 to NJ 1970) , that's what Old Man Cap does to get back to Bucky / Falcon and sit on the bench.

Hanson likes this.
  3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

"Cowardly whiner" refers to the "Ragnarok" Thor - you know, the one who whimpered because he might get a haircut! :rolleyes:

4. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

You know Thor's not human, right? :blink:

5. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    Her husband fought in the pacific front. I don't think that's a detail Peggy makes up in furtherance of a story--even one with a laudable purpose like protecting Steve.

That, along with the loose "rules" as we understand them, and the fact that Steve remaining in the prime timeline would from 1945 onward means he kisses his niece all point to alternate timeline.

Bruce also notes that Steve overshot his mark. I took that to mean either time or space. In other words, on his return trip, he could have appeared at, say, the lake house down by the water.

holtge and Adam Lenhardt like this.
  6. Joe Wong

I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but one thing I picked up on my 2nd viewing is...

Bucky knew Cap was not coming back when Cap went to return the stones (at least not the way Bruce and Sam were expecting Cap to return). Bucky says something like "I'm gonna miss you, pal," as he shakes hands with Cap before Cap gets on the platform to go on his travels.

It's also why Bucky wasn't as frantic as Sam and Bruce when Cap doesn't return in 5 secs.

AshJW, Nigel P, holtge and 3 others like this.
  7. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I noticed that on my second viewing as well.

holtge and Joe Wong like this.
  8. Joe Wong

It's a subtle goodbye, but filled with meaning.

holtge and Josh Steinberg like this.
  9. ScottHM

ScottHM Supporting Actor

Scott
    This was actually what I liked least about the movie. In fact, most of the humor didn't work for me (I know I'm the exception). I did like it when Hulk was trying to be angry in New York though.

---------------

ScottRE likes this.
  10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Obviously, there is a time lapse between that final battle and when Cap was returning the stones so I'm pretty sure Cap and Bucky had a conversation prior to him taking off.

11. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Nope, it just cancels out the cataclysmic alterations that the Ancient One was worried about. The 2012 reality will still be a separate reality, where the events at Avengers tower following the Battle of New York got much murkier than in the main MCU timeline, and 2012 Loki escaped using the Tesseract (later retrieved from the separate 1970 reality). But by returning the Time Stone, Doctor Strange will still succeed the Ancient One as that reality's sorcerer supreme, and he will use the Time Stone to defeat the darkness monster. Still a different timeline, but one the Ancient One can live with.

This is less clear. But I do see the landscape of the Quantum Realm as being a different kind of three dimensional: time, place, reality. If quantum theory. As you say, Doctor Strange already referred to the multi-verse long before the Avengers mucked around with time travel, so I'm guessing the realities we visited in Endgame are a drop in a potentially infinite bucket.

Exactly.

That's what I've been saying right along.

12. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Wait, how is that my quote?

13. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Yeah, I figured either Bucky just had a feeling about what his best friend would do given the option to go back or Steve told him his intentions and said his goodbye to Bucky in private.

14. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Agree. Prefer Bucky being able to intuit it.

Somewhat related there was a lot of nonverbal communication throughout the film and especially in the climax. Strange's 'one' to Stark was another great example.

holtge, Adam Lenhardt and Sean Bryan like this.
  15. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    That would be my interpretation too. The only reason that I think I could be wrong is because on my second viewing I noticed that Banner specifically states to the Ancient One that returning the stones will “clip the branches” - and when he says that and places the astral-projection-stone back into the main timeline, the alternate universe tangent astral projection tentacle disappears. So that’s the cue in the movie. Otherwise I’d agree with your take on it.

holtge and Jake Lipson like this.
  16. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I'm glad they never fully explained it and left it to the viewer to interpret whatever way they preferred. With that said, the scene had heavy equipment moving Avengers HQ debris in the background so I have to think it's been weeks if not months since the final battle. If true then Bucky and Steve had more than a few conversations since that battle as life-long best friends would do if they survived such horror.

17. AshJW

AshJW Supporting Actor

Thomas
    I guess we’ll never know unless Marvel will address this matter.

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I think the kids are calling him "Thorbowski" nowadays. :D :D :D

19. NeilO

NeilO Producer

As mentioned elsewhere, this is a bad example as there probably was no way to return the reality stone and leave the events untouched in 2013. Now if they had taken the Aether from The Collector there probably would have been less impact.

20. Joe Wong

I think it’s fair to say that, in general, the 4 films by the Russos and Markus/McFeely are considered among the best and most impactful in the MCU. Their directing and storytelling prowess is quite impressive, to say the least, when you consider the number of plot threads and characters they had to manage, all the way from Winter Soldier to Endgame.

The Russos can be quite efficient in deciding what scenes to include or not. For example, one of my favorite moments in Winter Soldier is when Cap asks Sam where can they get one of those pairs of wings, Sam basically answers, in a fortress, Cap looks at Nat, Nat nonchalantly shrugs, and Cap says to Sam, “shouldn’t be a problem.”

And in the next segment they have the wings. No need to show us how they got them, we just accept that they do, given their skills. Pretty efficient storytelling.

Now in the lead up to Infinity War last year, I was thinking they would show how Thanos obtains the stone from Xandar. But they skip that altogether. While I would have liked to see the fates of the characters played by Glenn Close and John C Reilly, I accepted that it was necessary to advance the story to when Thanos first meets one of the Avengers.

Similarly in Endgame, I would have liked to see the first interactions (which Joss Whedon was a master at depicting in The Avengers) between Cap M and the surviving Avengers (basically, a continuation of the mid-credits scene from Captain Marvel) but they skipped all that. I rue that missed opportunity, but I get that they needed to resolve a lot in those first 20 minutes.

Just goes to show some of the choices made when putting a film together!

holtge and Sean Bryan like this.