What's new

Avengers: Endgame SPOILERS ALLOWED THREAD (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Joe confirms that Cap lived with Peggy in a branched reality and that he had to then come back to ours.

"If Cap were to go back into the past and live there, he would create a branched reality," co-director Joe Russo explains. "The question then becomes, how is he back in this reality to give the shield away?"

"Interesting question, right?" Joe continues. "Maybe there’s a story there. There’s a lot of layers built into this movie and we spent three years thinking through it, so it’s fun to talk about it and hopefully fill in holes for people so they understand what we’re thinking."

The Russos went on to reveal that Bucky somehow knows that Steve wasn't planning on coming back. "Especially when he says goodbye," Joe explained. "He says, ‘I’ll miss you.’ Clearly he knows something." What about The Falcon? "Sam doesn’t know something," he confirms.

—————————————

I’m glad he confirmed/clarified that. I need to try to find the original interview for this.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I would love if this one day leads to a stand-alone limited series and or film that has Steve and Peggy together on a Cold War adventure.

I know, right?

Imagine if at some point, years down the road, they did another Chris Evans Captain America movie set in this branched reality. He could rescue Bucky and root out Hydra. It could even be an epic that spans decades as he gets the Earth ready for that reality’s Thanos. We could see him grow old, lose Peggy, and learn about his return to the “Prime” reality.

Probably not likely, but they could do something like that as an ultimate end to the character, like what was done with Logan.

It’s funny, I’ve been thinking about a storyline in the animated “Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes” where Kang comes back to our time from thousands of years in the future because his timeline/reality is unstable and collapsing and he traced the cause back to our era as something that Cap did.

With Joe Russo’s confirmation that he did live in a branched reality, it make me think about how it would be totally wild if they ever adapted something like this and connected it back to Steve going back and living a life in the new branched reality. If they ever did, it would seem like something for way down the line though.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
To be honest, while I’ll take anything with Cap at any time, I’m excited for the possibility of a smaller story. One of the things I loved about his first solo film was how self-contained it was, and I loved the period piece aspect of it. Don’t get me wrong, Winter Soldier and Civil War are great too, but those movies have to do a lot of worldbuilding for future Avengers films and the MCU at large. It would be great to see a Captain America project that was just about Cap.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I guess we’ll never know unless Marvel will address this matter.
The disc commentary will likely address this and other story points. My question is, will the movie stream at the end of July with the disc coming in mid-August, or will the November launch of Disney Plus delay the streaming and thus the disc release?

I hope it's not delayed. Not since the original Star Wars movie have I wanted to own a movie so badly as End Game.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Agreed. I really hope that Disney releases the discs before they release the movie on Disney+ exclusively.

That seems entirely likely. Disney+ won't debut until November, but this will almost certainly be on disc long before then. Infinity War premiered the same weekend in theaters, and was released on disc on August 14th last year (and was available for digital purchase several weeks before that). I think it's likely that this film will follow a similar trajectory.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This will be a fun directors commentary when the home release hits.
The Infinity War audio commentary with the Russo brothers and Markus & McFeely is the best audio commentary about story construction I've yet encountered.

I'm still holding out hope for season 3 of Agent Carter.
I think there's a story to be told set in the early eighties about how a woman in her early sixties whose only male sibling has been dead since World War II ends up with a newborn niece that shares her last name.

I would prefer a "Torchwood: Children of Earth" model to another 10+ episode season, though. The pacing really suffered in Season 2 when they expanded the episode count by a couple episodes.

That seems entirely likely. Disney+ won't debut until November, but this will almost certainly be on disc long before then. Infinity War premiered the same weekend in theaters, and was released on disc on August 14th last year (and was available for digital purchase several weeks before that). I think it's likely that this film will follow a similar trajectory.
Agreed. It would be stupid for Disney to leave all that home video money lying on the table for their last major release before the Disney+ rollout. They have to know that there will be lots of people who who buy it on disc/digital in August and then still subscribe to Disney+ in the fall.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I hope it's not delayed. Not since the original Star Wars movie have I wanted to own a movie so badly as End Game.

FWIW, The Digital Bits said last week or so that they expect the disc in August.

Also, FWIW, BestBuy is already taking preorders for the UHD/Blu-ray/DVDs.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My 3D copy is on preorder from the UK; hopefully it won't be vaporware. I always worry that Disney is gonna pull the plug on that format at any second.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Almost all Marvel Blus except the first few were 3D and I have purchased them all. The last few (Thor Ragnarock, “Black Panther”) had to be imported from Britain. $&@“!! If the series culminating movie is only released flat!!
I have “Avengers Endgame” and “Captain Marvel” 3Ds on pre-order from Amazon.uk. If they want the next phase of Marvel movies released flat only, that would be OK with me, but I hope they complete this phase properly.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Joe confirms that Cap lived with Peggy in a branched reality and that he had to then come back to ours.

"If Cap were to go back into the past and live there, he would create a branched reality," co-director Joe Russo explains. "The question then becomes, how is he back in this reality to give the shield away?"

"Interesting question, right?" Joe continues. "Maybe there’s a story there. There’s a lot of layers built into this movie and we spent three years thinking through it, so it’s fun to talk about it and hopefully fill in holes for people so they understand what we’re thinking."

The Russos went on to reveal that Bucky somehow knows that Steve wasn't planning on coming back. "Especially when he says goodbye," Joe explained. "He says, ‘I’ll miss you.’ Clearly he knows something." What about The Falcon? "Sam doesn’t know something," he confirms.

—————————————

I’m glad he confirmed/clarified that. I need to try to find the original interview for this.

Don't know about the original interview, but I did come across an article this evening that I found to be very enlightening.

https://www.slashfilm.com/avengers-endgame-final-scene-explained/

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just got back from my 2nd viewing, I liked it about the same as I did the first time. There were a lot fewer people this time but judging by the reaction noises they were making most of them were seeing the movie for the first time.

I watched Guardians 1 last night and I am picking up discrepancies as to when Gamora knew what when. In the scene with the collector in Guardians 1 Gamora appears to not know what infinity stones are and if she did she had no idea that one was in that sphere. In End Game she knew that the sphere had the power stone before Star Lord even picked it up.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
What did Ironman say just before he snapped the gauntlet's fingers? I didn't catch it.

Speaking of the gauntlet, I propose that most unbelievable thing in Infinity War and Endgame is being able to snap your fingers while wearing that thing. :lol:

We didn't stay for it, our bladders wouldn't allow it, so we missed that post-credit at the very end. I talked to a friend and the screen goes red with the word Marvel and a metallic sounding clank-clank. What does that mean?

The movie didn't feel long, but I knew it was long, so from time to time, I had bladder worries. That's what happens when you're an old fart.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks