What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Avatar: The Way of Water (2022) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
No, to be honest I don't know, I just assumed that is the way it was shown, but of course I could be wrong.
I can only speak to the theaters in my area but HFR screenings were relatively scarce around me. The IMAX screens have HFR but only three theaters (out of eleven) had one 3D screen with HFR. So when the movie first came out, the few HFR theaters only had three HFR shows out of nearly 20 screenings a day. And one of the AMCs stopped playing the HFR version after three weeks.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Avatar 2 landed a sixth weekend of$19.7M, which could get it to become the 7th- best sixth frame ever (a detailed record which the first Avatar holds at $34.9M). A year ago at this time, it was Spider-Man: No Way Home, which was leading the chart in its sixth weekend with a take of $14M. On the high end, the 20th Century Studios/Disney/Lightstorm title gets to $597.9M today. Friday was $4.6M, -34%.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Avatar 2 landed a sixth weekend of$19.7M, which could get it to become the 7th- best sixth frame ever (a detailed record which the first Avatar holds at $34.9M). A year ago at this time, it was Spider-Man: No Way Home, which was leading the chart in its sixth weekend with a take of $14M. On the high end, the 20th Century Studios/Disney/Lightstorm title gets to $597.9M today. Friday was $4.6M, -34%.

~$20m for the 6th weekend in any era is amazing!

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I rarely disagree with you two but this time is one of them. I thought the HFR worked terrifically in this film and made those sequences more immersive, especially in IMAX 3D. I wish he’d used it more.

Oddly enough when the movie switched back to 24 fps I thought the footage looked choppy at first until I re-acclimated

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I loved that scene because despite how horrible it is, I knew that Cameron was going to have a good revenge scene.

If we had some species on earth that could stop human aging we’d be hunting the shit out of it no matter how noble or majestic said species actually was. So I can’t really even blame the humans too much for the hunting despite how horrible it seems. But throwing all the rest away seems awfully wasteful

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

‘Avatar: The Way Of Water’ Swims Past $2B Worldwide; Chinese New Year Kicks Off & ‘Puss 2’ Nears $300M Global – International Box Office​

nancy-tartaglione.jpg

By Nancy Tartaglione
January 22, 2023 8:13am
MCDAVTH_WD035.jpg

Tuk, voiced by Trinity Jo-Li Bliss, takes a swim in 'Avatar: The Way of Water'Disney/Everett Collection
Refresh for latest…: It’s now official, James Cameron’s Avatar: The Way of Water has become the sixth movie ever to cross the $2B mark worldwide. It is also the filmmaker’s third to hit the milestone, alongside Titanicand the original Avatar.
The mega-achievement was presaged ahead of the weekend with the global gross on the 20th Century Studios/Disney sequel now $2.024B through Sunday. That includes $1.426B from overseas turnstiles. This means that offshore, Way of Water has become the No. 4 title of all time, jumping past Avengers: Infinity Warand behind only Avatar, Avengers: Endgame and Titanic. This gives Cameron bragging rights to three of the top four movies ever at the international box office.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Saw this a second time a few days ago in Cinemark XD 3D. It's really impressive the care put into every scene of this movie, and all the character designs. Overall, I liked it even better the second time, raising my rating on it from an A- to an A. Looking forward to the next chapters!

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
If we had some species on earth that could stop human aging we’d be hunting the shit out of it no matter how noble or majestic said species actually was. So I can’t really even blame the humans too much for the hunting despite how horrible it seems. But throwing all the rest away seems awfully wasteful

One of the problems is that, given the value cited of the brain juice, it would only be filthy rich SOBs that would benefit.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The world building was great. The rest of it not so much. It was hard to have any emotional connection. If Cameron had succeeded in creating a situation where you cared about what happened then the big fight scene at the end should have been the release where a person would be cheering for the big bad humans to get their comeuppance, but it all fell a little flat.

And the scene near the end where Sully says, "I see you" to his youngest son just felt like an unearned "Dad moment" considering how he treated the kid through the rest.of the film.

Frankly, the film is his most openly manipulative one yet, but not one that is pulled off particularly well.

A+ for the visuals and B- for the story.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Aside from Cameron directing half the films that have made $2 billion or more, also notable is that Zoe Saldana has starred in 4 of them!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My local Cinemark has posted showtimes for next weekend which include Knock at the Cabin taking over the premium XD screen. I had expected Avatar would hold onto that until Titanic or Quantumania. So if anyone still wants to see Avatar in premium formats, the next few days might be your last opportunity to do so. Obviously, I don't know what every chain and every theater will do, but this is something to keep in mind. I went to Wakanda Forever a second time on the day before Avatar came out specifically to see it on the premium screen one more time.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
My local Cinemark has posted showtimes for next weekend which include Knock at the Cabin taking over the premium XD screen. I had expected Avatar would hold onto that until Titanic or Quantumania. So if anyone still wants to see Avatar in premium formats, the next few days might be your last opportunity to do so. Obviously, I don't know what every chain and every theater will do, but this is something to keep in mind. I went to Wakanda Forever a second time on the day before Avatar came out specifically to see it on the premium screen one more time.
Avatar WOW is playing on my local IMAX screen for at least a few more weeks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks