What's new

Avatar: The Way of Water (2022) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Titanic is playing on my local IMAX screen for at least a few more weeks.

I assume you mean Avatar?

I can only speak to what I'm seeing happen at the theaters where I look. It is certainly possible/probable that Avatar is keeping some premium screens longer than others. But it is worth checking on how much longer it will be for anybody who still wants to go (or go again) in a premium format.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
...and when Avatar 7 or 8 fails we will have the last laugh!

I don't understand this comment. I decided Avatar is not for me, but I don't wish it ill or anything. I'm glad that its huge success is a boon for movie theaters right now.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It's not a comment, it's a joke for laughs. I myself have not seen Avatar 2 and also predicted it will fail!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I don't understand this comment. I decided Avatar is not for me, but I don't wish it ill or anything. I'm glad that its huge success is a boon for movie theaters right now.

Many people for many years have been predicting box office failure for Avatar 2. They were obviously wrong. His comment was a joke about that.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Or it means dont bet against James Cameron! Is he the only person of the top movie makers that hasn't had a box office failure? All the top people have had low box offices once in a while!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Or it means dont bet against James Cameron! Is he the only person of the top movie makers that hasn't had a box office failure? All the top people have had low box offices once in a while!

I love The Abyss, but the production cost for that movie was close to $50 million, which was a lot back in 1989. Plus you need to add on to that another $20m or so for advertising and overhead, which probably meant a total cost of about $70 million. Worldwide box office was $90 million, and as we know only about half of that actually gets back to the studio—and so The Abyss was almost certainly in the red for many years.

Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 9.24.03 AM.png

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I love The Abyss, but the production cost for that movie was close to $50 million, which was a lot back in 1989. Plus you need to add on to that another $20m or so for advertising and overhead, which probably meant a total cost of about $70 million. Worldwide box office was $90 million, and as we know only about half of that actually gets back to the studio—and so The Abyss was almost certainly in the red for many years.

View attachment 174074

I liked most of that movie, except the ending (and even hated the extended ending much more so). IMHO, makes sense it didn't do so well at the boxoffice...

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Why? Just curious.

I went back and forth on it for a while but landed on the fact that I didn't really like the first film and this looks like more of the same. So I doubt I'd like this much either. Plus, the 3D just doesn't work for me and that is what everyone is saying is so amazing about it. Even though this one is available in 2D near me, I'm just not interested as I would be for Titanic.

But I am glad that its huge success is helping movie theaters.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I went back and forth on it for a while but landed on the fact that I didn't really like the first film and this looks like more of the same. So I doubt I'd like this much either. Plus, the 3D just doesn't work for me and that is what everyone is saying is so amazing. about it Even though this one is available in 2D near me, I'm just not interested as I would be for Titanic.

Fair enough.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yeah, I thought that as well.

It's based on the notion that if people continue to predict doom 'n' gloom for an expensive Cameron movie, by God SOMEDAY they'll be right! :D
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
I went back and forth on it for a while but landed on the fact that I didn't really like the first film and this looks like more of the same. So I doubt I'd like this much either. Plus, the 3D just doesn't work for me and that is what everyone is saying is so amazing about it. Even though this one is available in 2D near me, I'm just not interested as I would be for Titanic.

I think most who have seen it will agree, if you don’t like Avatar you won’t like this one. They even brought back a dead villain. I loved the first and love the second.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
If we had some species on earth that could stop human aging we’d be hunting the shit out of it no matter how noble or majestic said species actually was. So I can’t really even blame the humans too much for the hunting despite how horrible it seems. But throwing all the rest away seems awfully wasteful
If there was a creature on earth know to be as sentient as Homo sapiens or even more so, I fear you could be right. However, it would be for only a few and that could help mount significant opposition. If there was enough and affordable for most than for sure, humankind would support the slaughter.

Than again, surely we could communication with this creature to arrange to buy the material if it could be done without killing the creatures.

That’s just what the Earth needs, an exploding population of humans that don’t die.

PaulGo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
More than half of all ‘Avatar: The Way of Water’ tickets have been for 3D showings

Key Points

- More than 56% of all domestic tickets sold for Disney’s “Avatar: The Way of Water” have been for 3D screenings.
- The James Cameron film is just shy of becoming the third-highest grossing film of all time.
- In 2022, 3D showings accounted for 7.7% of all ticket sales. Removing “The Way of Water,” these tickets were only 3.7% of total sales.

As Disney and James Cameron’s “Avatar: The Way of Water” climbs its way up the box office ladder — as of Monday, it was just shy of becoming the third-highest grossing film of all time — movie theater analysts are spotting an important trend in ticket sales.

While moviegoers have been gravitating towards premium cinema experiences in the wake of the pandemic, “The Way of Water” has easily outpaced the competition. Released in mid-December, the movie has drawn significantly more patrons to higher-priced showings on its way to more than $2 billion globally. Only this past weekend did it give up the no. 1 spot at the domestic weekend box office.

When people go to the movies they have several choices for how to watch a movie. Film formats include traditional 2D viewing, 3D shows and 70 millimeter movies, said Steve Buck of movie data firm EntTelligence. Auditorium formats are digital, often called standard, and then premium, which includes screens like IMAX, Dolby Cinema and ScreenX.

Throughout its run, “The Way of Water” has generated nearly 30% of its domestic ticket sales from premium format showings, averaging $17.80 per ticket, according to data from EntTelligence. For comparison, all other movies released in 2022 — not including “The Way of Water” — saw less than 14% of ticket sales from premium showings, averaging $15.76 a ticket.

Bolstering box office numbers for the film is the push from Disney and Cameron for 3D showings. This format, which can be found at standard theaters and in premium auditoriums, also carries a higher price tag. Since its release, the “Avatar” sequel has seen more than 56% of its tickets sold for 3D showings. These tickets averaged $16.30 a piece, while traditional 2D tickets sold for around $12.12 each.

In 2022, 3D showings accounted for 7.7% of all ticket sales. Removing “The Way of Water,” these tickets were only 3.7% of total sales.

Full article at:

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Back to #2 for domestic weekend box office.

Adding in Titanic, it’s not every day you have two 2-billion dollar grossing films in the top 3!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Back to #2 for domestic weekend box office.

Adding in Titanic, it’s not every day you have two 2-billion dollar grossing films in the top 3!

I added to that total as I saw it again today with the wife on the last Sunday that it will be playing in IMAX 3D.

By the way she loved it but HATED the HFR. ;)

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Avatar has won big at the VES awards:

OUTSTANDING VISUAL EFFECTS IN A PHOTOREAL FEATURE.

OUTSTANDING ANIMATED CHARACTER IN A PHOTOREAL FEATURE.

OUTSTANDING EFFECTS SIMULATIONS IN A PHOTOREAL FEATURE.

OUTSTANDING COMPOSITING & LIGHTING IN A FEATURE.

OUTSTANDING SPECIAL (PRACTICAL) EFFECTS IN A PHOTOREAL PROJECT.

OUTSTANDING MODEL IN A PHOTOREAL OR ANIMATED PROJECT.

EMERGING TECHNOLOGY AWARD.

OUTSTANDING VIRTUAL CINEMATOGRAPHY IN A CG PROJECT.

OUTSTANDING CREATED ENVIRONMENT IN A PHOTOREAL FEATURE.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Avatar has won big at the VES awards:

OUTSTANDING VISUAL EFFECTS IN A PHOTOREAL FEATURE.

OUTSTANDING ANIMATED CHARACTER IN A PHOTOREAL FEATURE.

OUTSTANDING EFFECTS SIMULATIONS IN A PHOTOREAL FEATURE.

OUTSTANDING COMPOSITING & LIGHTING IN A FEATURE.

OUTSTANDING SPECIAL (PRACTICAL) EFFECTS IN A PHOTOREAL PROJECT.

OUTSTANDING MODEL IN A PHOTOREAL OR ANIMATED PROJECT.

EMERGING TECHNOLOGY AWARD.

OUTSTANDING VIRTUAL CINEMATOGRAPHY IN A CG PROJECT.

OUTSTANDING CREATED ENVIRONMENT IN A PHOTOREAL FEATURE.
Wow. What a surprise………….

said no one. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks