World Wide Stereo

Audio (only) Reciever quest (1 Viewer)

SwampRatt

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
Hi all.
I’m looking for an surround sound audio receiver
Background: I have a new Plasma with HDMI, new Blu-ray with HDMI all 1.3 and Dolby 7.1
I don’t want to do any video processing with the audio receiver.
I’ve been reading up on what I need and I find conflicting reports. Some say I can’t get Dolby 7.1 without going thru HDMI, some say I can do it with optical.

What kind of audio receiver and what kind of hook-up do I need?

Thanks in advance.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

sptrout

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
First, you do not have to use any video processing in AVRs that have that capability - - just pass the video straight through to your TV. I bet that is what most folks do unless they are watching a lot of SD programming.

Secondly, use your HDMI connections to get the best audio. Depending on the model of your Blu-ray player you may have the capability of using its 7.1 analog outputs to feed a 7.1 analog compatible AVR. However, it is usually much better, and always easier, just to go with the HDMI approach.

The one catch if you go with 100% HDMI conections is that you will have to have your AVR on all the time you are watching TV. Some folks (me included) do not like that idea. (Why watch the news through the HT audio system?). However, it is easy to work around this possible issue with additional audio connections.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks