What's new

Attaching a computer to HT (1 Viewer)

Niranjan_b

Auditioning
Hi,

I recently bought the Sony HT-DDW840 HTIB (my first HT purchase). I would like to feed mp3s from my computer directly to the receiver, so I got the required adapter for that. But then I realised my sound card does not have a line out, only an audio-out . Now since audio-out is already amplified output, can I still feed it to the receiver ??? If not, then is there any other way I can connect ?

Thanks,
Niranjan

James Brown

Stunt Coordinator
What you may need is a y jack that splits the audio out from your soundcard into to m/f then run that cable into your receiver. You may need some couplers depending on what kind of Y-Jack you pick up.

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator
A friend of mine just uses regular RCA cables from his soundcard into his reciever.

He switches them with the regular computer speaker cables when he wants sound from his computer.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Since this can get really complicated quickly, I am moving to Computers and HTPC where it belongs.

Ben Menix

Stunt Coordinator
Technically, you probably shouldn't. The RCA inputs on a receiver/pre-amp/etc are generally designed for a specific range and type of electrical signal. You will most often see this referred to as "Line Level" input. It is potentially damaging to run any kind of amplified signal through the line-level inputs of your equipment.
On the other hand, if the amp on your sound card is fairly weak (most are), like 1/2 or .5 watts, you possibly could get away with it.
However, I still wouldn't do it...I would buy a new sound card that had a line-out jack. It'll be worth it in the long run.
Ben Menix
[email protected]

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
If hi-fi is what you are looking for, you should really try to find a sound card with S-PDIF output. The difference between analogue and digital in a computer is astounding, mainly because of the possibility of interference within the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks