What's new

Aspect Ratio Documentation (2 Viewers)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
And can you share the source of the info that the master is "zoomed"? Point is that could we stop this speculation and at least wait for the reviews/screencaps?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Jari K said:
And can you share the source of the info that the master is "zoomed"? Point is that could we stop this speculation and at least wait for the reviews/screencaps?
Mister Lime said in the Kino thread that heads were lopped off when they looked at it in 1.85:1, this suggests a zoomed in transfer, speculation maybe but educated speculation based on what the insider said.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Yorkshire said:
If we definitely have the full, unzoomed frame, then 1.37:1 is absolutely fine. Everyone here should be able to zoom that to 1.78:1
Hardly. The only reason to buy Blu-ray over DVD is for the A/V quality. I wouldn't be happy with a DNR ridden transfer, or a transfer with awful colour, or a transfer I have to zoom and watch in 1480x834p

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Bob Furmanek said:
Really?

Can you please share your source for that information?
If I could, do you not think I would have done so already? :D

If I were a betting man I'd wager we'll hear more as time goes on.

No matter, it's difficult to believe that, with such an important film, someone out there will have access to a 35m print, and will post images for us to compare.

Steve W

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
EddieLarkin said:
Hardly. The only reason to buy Blu-ray over DVD is for the A/V quality. I wouldn't be happy with a DNR ridden transfer, or a transfer with awful colour, or a transfer I have to zoom and watch in 1480x834p
Well, I certainly agree on the DNR, etc.

I doubt very much that too many would notice the difference in resolution when zooming. But yes, it an ideal world it wouldn't be...ideal, which is why I said 'fine' as opposed to 'brilliant'.

I don't really understand the idea that 834p isn't a "reason to buy Blu-ray over DVD for the A/V quality". The difference between SD DVD and 834p is pretty large compared to 834p vs 1080p.

Steve W

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Yorkshire said:
No matter, it's difficult to believe that, with such an important film, someone out there will have access to a 35m print, and will post images for us to compare.
Zoomed or not, the transfer featured in this YT upload works fine in 1.78:1

If Kino have something even more zoomed than that might be, I dread to think what it may look like.
Yorkshire said:
I doubt very much that too many would notice the difference in resolution when zooming.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I notice it quite easily.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"I doubt very much that too many would notice the difference in resolution when zooming."Of course you'll notice it.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Jari K said:
"I doubt very much that too many would notice the difference in resolution when zooming."Of course you'll notice it.
A few years ago the Greek AV society did a test using projectors which were identical other than one having a 1080 chip and the other 720. No one could tell the difference in resolution.

Steve W

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yorkshire said:
A few years ago the Greek AV society did a test using projectors which were identical other than one having a 1080 chip and the other 720. No one could tell the difference in resolution.

Steve W
Did they check their eyesight before carrying out the test, i have had a 720p projector, i have had 720p monitors too, the difference between a 720p and 1080p projector and monitor is huge, i can see the difference immediately.

I wonder if that Greek AV society were sitting too far back to tell the difference or the material being used was poor, something doesn't sound right, did they de-focus the 1080p model, did they set it up incorrectly, it just doesn't sound right to me.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
FoxyMulder said:
Did they check their eyesight before carrying out the test, i have had a 720p projector, i have had 720p monitors too, the difference between a 720p and 1080p projector and monitor is huge, i can see the difference immediately.
Would you like a link?

Steve W

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Greek AV society? Too much sun there. They don't see that well.Seriously speaking, you can take some 4:3 film and use "zoom" from your tv. You don't see any difference?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yorkshire said:
Would you like a link?

Steve W
No, it would be pointless, i know what i see and the difference between 720p and 1080p is evident to me, fine detail is improved.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Jari K said:
Greek AV society? Too much sun there. They don't see that well.Seriously speaking, you can take some 4:3 film and use "zoom" from your tv. You don't see any difference?
But they have oregano crisps! :D

In answer to your question, no I don't 'notice'. If I stared I might see a difference, but in real-world viewing I don't notice.

Steve W

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Bob Furmanek said:
Makes you wonder why the insider said heads were cropped off when they tried it at 1.85:1, no wonder we all got confused, it sounds from the review like this would work just fine at 1.85:1 but for whatever reason they chose full frame.

All they needed to do to keep us "happy" and less confused was to say it's not zoomed in, i don't recall them ever saying that.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Yeah, even the YT version doesn't crop heads (or the credits) when zoomed so who knows what they were on about. Sounds to me like someone trying to justify their boxy fetish.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
If they'd matted down to 1.85 the window boxed credits AND opening scene, I just cannot imagine what that might have looked like. We may now know the reason they HAD to go full frame. So, the only question that remains is whether on top of the window boxing if it's also zoomed in - and frankly my GUESS would be yes because that's the only thing that would really explain window boxing the credits and opening scene (which probably comes directly out of the credits. We've seen that all too often in films on DVD - window boxing then zooming in afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks