What's new

Are you acclimated to Star Trek: TOS Remastered? (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m not as bothered as Scott by the minor variations between the original broadcast versions and what appears on the Blu-ray, but I agree that there would be more value in issuing a true night of broadcast edition instead of a 4K version similar in content to what’s already out there. I’m skeptical that there are enough purists interested in rebuying the show to make such a project financially viable, but if they were gonna go back to the well, that would be of more interest to me.

Compared to so many other shows that have either dropped out of the public consciousness altogether or are available only in older standard definition masters, I’m more satisfied than not if the final word on TOS has already been spoken.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Very true-- what if you had to pay for separate releases that had each form of the effects, instead of having the choice of either in one release as the final product has?
If you still do DVD only you *do* have to do just that. Once they did the remastered vfx that's the only version you can get on DVD. You have to go back to an earlier, not nearly as good quality, release to get the original vfx. That was a driving force for me getting a BR player. I wanted the vastly improved video but wasn't interested in the least in the updated CGI vfx.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
If you still do DVD only you *do* have to do just that. Once they did the remastered vfx that's the only version you can get on DVD. You have to go back to an earlier, not nearly as good quality, release to get the original vfx. That was a driving force for me getting a BR player. I wanted the vastly improved video but wasn't interested in the least in the updated CGI vfx.

That's true-- I neglected to remember that there was a time when we had to do just that.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I remember watching the premieres of the remastered versions on my local broadcast channel in standard def way back when - I think they showed the syndication cut down versions and one new episode premiered weekly at something crazy like 12:30am on Saturday nights.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I just reread the entire thread and still have the same opinion about the new vfx that I had in 2016 - I'm *not* acclimated to them and rarely watch them, preferring both the original video *and* audio. If they'd fix the audio issues they created with the mono tracks on the BR with a new release I'd purchase it.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I might just buy it this Black Friday if it goes for less than $50. I have too many othe TV shows I haven't gotten to yet.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I actually prefer watching the new take on the special effects. I only recall one episodes where I was bothered by the direction they took, and that was The Doomsday Machine. The overly metallic look just didn't work for me. Other than that one, they are all work for me.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, all great comments about a 4K remaster of TOS.

I posted my excited reaction to finally seeing Star Trek The Motion Picture remastered in 4K UHD and Dolby Vision. That viewing really surprised me being totally new to the 4K world. This past week I’ve been watching some 4K discs and so I’ve become a little overly excited by the idea of would Star Trek TOS ever be eligible for another remaster.

I agree it’s highly unlikely to happen and likely not going to harvest any more color information. Sharpness might be improved. As far as revealing more then the original creators intended, I think that horse has already left the stable! Ha, ha! I could argue that going back to the syndication days of 480 TV, daily viewing of Star Trek allowed for regular study of the show and things were revealed then, like wood grain on the sets. But sure, the Blu Rays are revealing a lot more. Some of the revealing is even by accident as I noticed the framing wasn’t as it was and I saw the edge of the bridge set at Spock’s station In Errand of Mercy.

I too am not so bothered that the titles music was changed and we no longer hear the alternate version of a Shatner‘s monologue. Though i would welcome it in a future re-issue. And I agree that it would be great if the original mono track was restored back.

Overall, this 2006 remaster is great. I think I’ll watch a few more first season episodes. I want to see The Cage, Shore Leave, The Man Trap maybe and several others. There‘s a lot of colorful episodes to check out on the new OLED screen! Oh yeah, another thing Josh, that the original film makers who created Star Trek never imagined, beyond high definition, they probably never thought the fans would be able to watch the series at home on a screen as large as 65 inches and larger images from projectors!

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I just reread the entire thread and still have the same opinion about the new vfx that I had in 2016 - I'm *not* acclimated to them and rarely watch them, preferring both the original video *and* audio. If they'd fix the audio issues they created with the mono tracks on the BR with a new release I'd purchase it.
And now my club expands its membership by 100%. That's two sets bought!

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Didn't realize this was a 5 year old thread. Yes, I'm used to it now and now that's the only version I watch.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
When I first watched these during their late night airings, I had a good time with the new takes on old effects. It was a fun novelty.

Then I got over it. Only one episode works much better than the original effects and that was for Tomorrow is Yesterday. They went all out on those and not only do the "Enterprise in the atmosphere" shots look great (woth a photo realistic shot of Capt. Christopher's jet under cloud cover), but the slingshot effect actually makes sense. Sure, the scale of the sun and the Enterprise is off the the lighting is all wrong, but it still works.

That's pretty much it. Some look great (Space Seed) others look like cartoons (The Corbomite Maneuver). And while I appreciate all the work they put into The Doomsday Machine, they didn't really pay attention to the intent of some of the original effects and edits. I could make a long boring list, but suffice it to say, I always prefer the original effects. Nothing ages like CGI and now 15 years on, the "new" effects looks much less organic than they should. It's the "Babylon 5 Effect."

Oh and I HATE the second and third season new theme music. The singer is far too obvious. There was really no reason to change the music.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I don't like the rerecorded theme at all. Period. They made a good effort but it's off - not by much but enough that I notice and I find it very distracting. The new vocals are the worst part of the rerecorded effort.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
And now my club expands its membership by 100%. That's two sets bought!
There are many issues but, for me, the most glaring ones, and the ones that I cringe most over, are the missing narration on the open of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and episodes with the added and totally unnecessary engine noise during Kirk's Captain's Log narration which practically drowns out his voice.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
There are many issues but, for me, the most glaring ones, and the ones that I cringe most over, are the missing narration on the open of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and episodes with the added and totally unnecessary engine noise during Kirk's Captain's Log narration which practically drowns out his voice.
Well, the narration was always missing on Where No Man Has Gone Before. At least it always was in syndication, I was born two years after that episode aired. I've never read anywhere that it was on the NBC aired print.

I 100% agree, the added engine rumble on some early first season episodes is ridiculously loud. After the first season, the only episode to have the right mon sound mix (or the same as 80's syndicated prints) was Amok Time.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Well, the narration was always missing on Where No Man Has Gone Before. At least it always was in syndication, I was born two years after that episode aired. I've never read anywhere that it was on the NBC aired print.

I 100% agree, the added engine rumble on some early first season episodes is ridiculously loud. After the first season, the only episode to have the right mon sound mix (or the same as 80's syndicated prints) was Amok Time.
Hmmm... I've never noticed that open narration missing on that episode before getting the BR set. Makes me want to pull my DVDs and see if it's there just out of curiosity. I'd like to think I'd have noticed, but...

I will admit that I'm far more sensitive to the issues on the BR set because I'm looking for them where before, with both the VHS and DVD copies, I was just happy to have them to watch.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I don't like the rerecorded theme at all. Period. They made a good effort but it's off - not by much but enough that I notice and I find it very distracting. The new vocals are the worst part of the rerecorded effort.
In total agreement, especially about the soprano vocalist. Way, way too prominent in the sound mix, sticks out a mile. In the original, it was barely noticeable (and I never really latched onto the fact that it was a female voice at all). Not a faithful re-creation at all. Of course, as an instrumental musician myself, my ear is more sensitive to all the various differences in these re-recordings and the originals.

When I listen to the La-La Land soundtracks, I always skip past those re-recorded theme tracks.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Is it really missing, though? The only way to confirm this would be if somebody made audio recordings back in 1966 from the original broadcast. No matter how good someone's memory is, I don't think we can trust someone's memory alone. The memory does cheat sometimes.

It seems like if there had originally been a narration on there, that Paramount would have just put the standard one on there when they struck the new syndication masters (and standardised the non-electronic theme for all the other first-season shows). I guess they left the electronic theme tune on the pilot to further distinguish this episode as 'different' from the rest of the season, given all the visual differences.

I do know the story from the various 'making-of' books about about Shatner's v/o being redone early in the season, and about Roddenberry having his 'created by' credit removed after the first few episodes (later reinstated in season 2).

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The opening narration was missing from Where No Man in syndication from the 70's through the early 80's. Then Paramount restruck the prints and sent them out, using the same prints for home video. It was missing from the VHS and Laserdiscs. It was also then missing on the DVDs and then finally the Blu Rays.

Honestly, if it was a mistake as far as the journey from original NBC airing to reruns, someone probably would have caught it and fixed it by now. Other than "we don't know for sure" it's safe to assume it was always like that.

It's also the only episode that retains the original electric violin end credits on every print.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks