What's new

Are you acclimated to Star Trek: TOS Remastered? (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting, I took a look at eBay, and found one complete set unopened and very reasonably priced. Someone might want to jump on that set very quickly. And used season sets are even more reasonably priced.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I agree. When I ripped these at original quality, I also ripped the menus and images of the discs. Watching these reminds me of my youth. Watching TOS-R makes me feel old. And the sound mixes, while not perfect, are better than TOS-R, IMHO. Episode to episode, this is my best TOS viewing experience.

Why does seeing it the way it was on NBC (more or less) remind you of youth?

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Why does seeing it the way it was on NBC (more or less) remind you of youth?
Because the copy quality isn't quite as good as the Blu-rays. Plus there's something about the color palette that looks closer to my own VHS tapes. The Blu rays are magnificent, but they are a product of that young man's future. The DVD sets are clearer than anything the kid ever saw but still soft and nostalgic enough to give him "the vibe." :cool:

season set dvd
dvd.JPG

blu ray

bd.JPG

Of course the blu ray is "better " but there's something about watching these shows "not quite perfect" and for me the sound mixes are way better on the dvds.

Plus, I think I have watched the DVDs more. Honestly I appreciated them more because I waited such a long time for them and to me they still look spectacular.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for posting the comparison screen caps. My childhood exposure to Star Trek were between black and white and color TV sets. To me it’s the story that mattered and the image quality was just what it was then.

I prefer the high definition image and I will trust the color is correct on the Blu Rays. I remember the laserdiscs were my first time seeing Star Trek look so much more color saturated. So the DVD’s were improvements after that but the colors were not as much a boost. I’m thrilled that the quality of the Blu Rays are likely what the producers like Robert Justman and the film editors saw watching the daily rushes then!

But I get the desire to replicate the experience from back in the day.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The last time I did a DVD/BR comparison I felt the video on DVDs was softer with somewhat muted color and a bit on the dark side. That's been quite a while ago - shortly after I got the BRs so I might think differently today. Not sure exactly where those DVD sets are stored though or I might take another look "just because." I *do* want to do some audio comparison as I recall the DVDs having the best audio mix.

Last edited:

Craig506

Auditioning
Real Name
Craig Wells
The last time I did a DVD/BR comparison I felt the video on DVDs was softer with somewhat muted color and a bit on the dark side. That's been quite a while ago - shortly after I got the BRs so I might thing differently today. Not sure exactly where those DVD sets are stored though or I might take another look "just because." I *do* want to do some audio comparison as I recall the DVDs having the best audio mix.
Actually to me the blurays look on the darker side.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Because the copy quality isn't quite as good as the Blu-rays. Plus there's something about the color palette that looks closer to my own VHS tapes. The Blu rays are magnificent, but they are a product of that young man's future. The DVD sets are clearer than anything the kid ever saw but still soft and nostalgic enough to give him "the vibe." :cool:

season set dvd
View attachment 119606

blu ray

View attachment 119607

Of course the blu ray is "better " but there's something about watching these shows "not quite perfect" and for me the sound mixes are way better on the dvds.

Plus, I think I have watched the DVDs more. Honestly I appreciated them more because I waited such a long time for them and to me they still look spectacular.
So if the BD image is true to life, Shatner's toupee seam was really obvious in person. You'd think they'd have tried to match the skin tone better. It's not like this in every episode, but this one does make it more obvious. Maybe the lighting was different. You can still see it on the DVDs, but it's not as bad. You can't tell at all on the lasers.

Which goes to show ya, we weren't meant to see that. Nobody in the 60's saw that on their TVs. And this is why a 4K release would just make it worse, not better. Maybe somma you guys like to see every detail s if you're there, but for me, nothing ruins a magic trick like knowing how it's done.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
So if the BD image is true to life, Shatner's toupee seam was really obvious in person. You'd think they'd have tried to match the skin tone better. It's not like this in every episode, but this one does make it more obvious. Maybe the lighting was different. You can still see it on the DVDs, but it's not as bad. You can't tell at all on the lasers.

Which goes to show ya, we weren't meant to see that. Nobody in the 60's saw that on their TVs. And this is why a 4K release would just make it worse, not better. Maybe somma you guys like to see every detail s if you're there, but for me, nothing ruins a magic trick like knowing how it's done.
True, but then no older film or television show - except for maybe a few real IMAX titles - should be released in 4K.

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
True, but then no older film or television show - except for maybe a few real IMAX titles - should be released in 4K.
Depends. Even older films had larger budgets and were meant to be seen on much larger screens. There was no hiding. You either got it right or you lived with the seams. TV shows were much smaller and quickly made affairs. They had to take shortcuts, hide the seams the hope nobody would notice. Also, other than a few reruns in the syndication market, they didn't make these for repeat viewing. Even some films though...I don't think King Kong would benefit from a 4K release but Casablanca might because there aren't any opticals.

Honestly, I don't think any TV series of a certain age needs a 4K release. None. That's just gilding the lily. Good old High Def, sure, because a filmed TV show should look at least that good, After that, what are you getting?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
If I am going to recreate my first viewing experience accurately, I have to view the shows on a black and white set in a room filled with cigarette smoke with two older people yelling and arguing around me!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That’s great Terry! When I think back to what it was like in the mid 1960’s, the times were not like today. There was a lot of smoking and other politically incorrect thinking going on. The very things Star Trek was showing that the future had over come.

Last night I was watching another episode of Star Trek, Arena on my new display. Again, I am surprised by the image quality of the blu rays on this new display! It’s fun to revisit the blu rays, even though I had been watching the weeks before I upgraded the display.

This thread has also got me thinking, back in our youth, most of our youths, I imagine there’s younger fans here, we had the old CRT TV sets. If we could somehow teleport from our youth to the present day and see ourselves still watching Star Trek on large high definition flat panel displays and projectors, what a mind blowing thing that is to consider. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If I am going to recreate my first viewing experience accurately, I have to view the shows on a black and white set in a room filled with cigarette smoke with two older people yelling and arguing around me!

That’s Twilight Zone for me!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The last time I did a DVD/BR comparison I felt the video on DVDs was softer with somewhat muted color and a bit on the dark side. That's been quite a while ago - shortly after I got the BRs so I might think differently today. Not sure exactly where those DVD sets are stored though or I might take another look "just because." I *do* want to do some audio comparison as I recall the DVDs having the best audio mix.
Hmm..exactly the opposite from my viewing of them. No doubt the BD have more detail and richer color, it is the color timing that seems a bit darker, and often changes the "feel" of the episode for me. "Spectre of the Gun" is a perfect example. The DVD has a beautiful red sky of the alien planet, on the BD, the sky is a darker tinge of red that doesn't quite satisfy me.
Actually to me the blurays look on the darker side.
Yep.

I'm going to at some point (hopefully soon) make a comparison of DVD, and BD of my favorite episodes. CRT, and LCD.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I actually cracked out my complete series DVDs and are really enjoying them. As much as I prefer the original mono mix I grew up with, the 5.1 surround on the DVDs is very pleasant when you get used to it. The original effects don't look as bad in standard definition and there aren't as many glitches since there's no "seamless branching" option to choose. Other than the electric violin theme being on too many episodes, the only real glitch was having rerecorded and second season music on part two of The Menagerie.

I prefer the more natural looking muted colors to the blu rays. I just snagged a backup set from eBay and these will be my go-to's.

For a format considered outdated, these sets really go for a pretty penny online.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I need a replacement copy of Vol 40 (ep 79 + The Cage) from the two episode DVD sets. My original set was either lost or damaged in a move but I had backup copies of all of them except for, you guessed it, that one. One of these days!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I still haven’t had a chance to pull out my DVD sets to re-view. I understand your preferences to something that is closer to how the series looked back in the days of our youth. I still prefer the shiny new versions. :). But I totally agree it would be ideal if the audio was as it was on broadcast night. Maybe someday.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Some of it isn't even "the days of our youth." It's just that the original effects hold up a LOT better on DVD than in HD. Other than one or two episodes, I really never watch the 2006 effects. They pull me out of the episodes. The DVD resolution is about as far as this series was able to be stretched before all of the seams really started to show. Honestly, that's why they created the newer effects in the first place. It was apparent that the original effects work just didn't stand up to HD. Had they used "in camera" shots like the Irwin Allen shows, this would be moot. Regardless of story quality, Lost in Space and The Time Tunnel look amazing in HD. I'm sure Voyage would look outstanding.

As far as the sound mix, only the VHS/Laserdiscs really capture the sound of my youth, I just don't want to have to sit through the new opening theme music and the engine rumble downing out the captain's log. If they actually used the DVD 5.1 mix, I would have been okay with it. It's well balanced for what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks