What's new

Are you acclimated to Star Trek: TOS Remastered? (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ve always remembered that Where No Man Has Gone Before never had the Shatner opening narration going back to the syndication prints. And I’m glad the mono track on the Blu ray doesn’t have it either.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I own the BD sets but never watch them. The remastered DVD season sets were the last stop for me. I think they are gorgeous, and like the color grade, and audio better. Needless to say I never watch the "improved" SFX.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I own the BD sets but never watch them. The remastered DVD season sets were the last stop for me. I think they are gorgeous, and like the color grade, and audio better. Needless to say I never watch the "improved" SFX.

I take it you're one of those who prefers it as it was on NBC then.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I gotta say, the DVD prints are my go to for visual satisfaction. Better than the laserdics but not revealing the flaws that HD brings out.

However, when I want to enjoy the sound mix and get back the nostalgia of my kidhood, I watch the laserdiscs.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
However, when I want to enjoy the sound mix and get back the nostalgia of my kidhood, I watch the laserdiscs.

Just looked 'em up on EBay, and they demand a pretty penny (each individual one costs much less, though).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
If you guys really want to recreate the 1966-1969 experience, you’ll have to get a RCA color console TV! Of course that might be very impractical or difficult to find a working one.

I also have the DVD set that came out around 2006 that only has the remastered CGI effects. I had made a rip of all the episodes from that set for viewing on my mobile devices many years ago. I watch episodes on the iPad Pro from time to time and the color is very nice. Of course it’s “colored” by the quality of the iPad Pro’s screen, so it’s not likely going to be an accurate representation. I use airplay too to cast it to my Apple TV connected to a large screen and did a quick look just now. I didn’t rip the DVDs at close to the highest quality, they look pretty good on a 65” plasma. Not as sharp as the Blu Rays, but about DVD quality. And the colors, what I was wondering about earlier is the blue color of Spock’s tunic seems to look bluer on the older DVd sets, verses the Blu ray, I think it was the iPad not being color accurate. When I used Airplay, and watched the rip on my 65” plasma, the blue color was much closer to the Blu Rays which I watched on this plasma. I will check on the OLED next. I might redo this project and rip one of my other DVD sets that has the original effects.

I do have the complete series on laserdiscs too, I kept those. I don’t think I can watch those anymore. I’m just too accustomed and spoiled by the higher resolution of the DVDs and blu rays. I was thinking about this conversation about trying to recreate what it was like on the night of broadcast. It’s a really cool and fun idea. i wasn’t kidding above, it might make it more authentic to use a vintage CRT TV. Might be a fun project someday to try to find a vintage TV set, or at worst, a dead one and placing a working modern TV inside it.

When I first got the laserdisc and VHS tapes, I did do an experiment back in the day. I played the laserdiscs on my parents Sony TV which was a CRT old school TV set from the 1980’s. My recollection was wow, the image quality was great compared to the over the air broadcast syndication prints. What is burned in my memory is the color saturation. The reds were so strong, the bridge railings, the turbo lift door, the redshirts!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, carrying on from the above post, I did view two more episodes on my new OLED. As you recall, I started this conversation not about the quality of the new remastered CGI effects, but whether a new image harvest to create a 4K blu ray was going to yield any more improvements on these episodes. I was so amazed after purchasing my first OLED TV last week and to see Star Trek Discovery on the new blu rays, I was amazed by the quality of those Blu Rays. Colors and image quality was really top notch. That’s why I wondered if TOS could get a better remaster of the original film elements.

Last night I watched Where No Man Has Gone Before and Shore Leave. I have not watched the Blu ray version of WNMHGB in a long time. It’s an episode I watched a lot in my youth, but in recent years, I’ve not watched. I had the lines memorized! So on this viewing, it was sort of with fresh eyes. And some new observations came out of it. The new TV’s size certainly made a difference in my impression of the episode. ( I never understood the line, “Nobody but us chickens” )

First, I just realized, being the second pilot, they had the budget to create the Sickbay set. I never realized that before, but there was no sickbay set in The Cage. I’d not recalled seeing how green the sickbay set was painted! The transporter room amd briefing room was the same set from The Cage, but the bridge was revised with a new color scheme. WNMHGB is still a really good episode! Shatner had Captain Kirk down the first time out. He’s playing Kirk as himself I bet. I really enjoyed it. Everyone was good in it. Next was Shore Leave, that was a good one because it was filmed outdoors.

I have to say, I’m revising my startment, I think the blu rays look outstanding still. I have no doubt that a remaster could yield some improvements, but on a new 4K screen, they looked really good! It’s like watching it for the first time, almost. Sharpness was great for shots that are in focus and no filters are used. Colors are well saturated.

The rugged terrain on Delta Vega was very colorful and the painted backdrop was very obvious, but it blended in well. I saw that in The Cage on my old screen too! I noticed the tiny holes in the silver contact lenses that Lockwood and Kellerman wore! I could see that Fred Philips did a fantastic job in Nimoy’s ears, you can’t see the seams! I noticed a small piece of fruit fell off the kaferian apple that Kellerman was holding had fallen on her tunic in one shot. But what I really could see better was the gold tunics Kirk and Spock wore are gold greenish. While that was obvious from before, it seemed more so on this screen, and the other crew who wore the tan colored tunics were more obvious. In the olden days of TV viewing, it was hard to see a color difference. Spock’s green make-up is slightly greener then the production episodes.

Watching Shore Leave was a real pleasure. Yeoman Barrow’s red tunic was very saturated. i could go on and point out all sorts of details I saw, but I’ll spare you and just say that Shore Leave looks great! The outdoor photography looks great! It looks like it always looked, but maybe because my screen is a little bigger now, and it’s OLED, I’m seeing some new stuff. Ruth‘s earrings for example, pretty cool!

I have to keep watching more episodes! It’s like watching it almost for the first time now.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
If you guys really want to recreate the 1966-1969 experience, you’ll have to get a RCA color console TV! Of course that might be very impractical or difficult to find a working one.

I also have the DVD set that came out around 2006 that only has the remastered CGI effects. I had made a rip of all the episodes from that set for viewing on my mobile devices many years ago. I watch episodes on the iPad Pro from time to time and the color is very nice. Of course it’s “colored” by the quality of the iPad Pro’s screen, so it’s not likely going to be an accurate representation. I use airplay too to cast it to my Apple TV connected to a large screen and did a quick look just now. I didn’t rip the DVDs at close to the highest quality, they look pretty good on a 65” plasma. Not as sharp as the Blu Rays, but about DVD quality. And the colors, what I was wondering about earlier is the blue color of Spock’s tunic seems to look bluer on the older DVd sets, verses the Blu ray, I think it was the iPad not being color accurate. When I used Airplay, and watched the rip on my 65” plasma, the blue color was much closer to the Blu Rays which I watched on this plasma. I will check on the OLED next. I might redo this project and rip one of my other DVD sets that has the original effects.

I do have the complete series on laserdiscs too, I kept those. I don’t think I can watch those anymore. I’m just too accustomed and spoiled by the higher resolution of the DVDs and blu rays. I was thinking about this conversation about trying to recreate what it was like on the night of broadcast. It’s a really cool and fun idea. i wasn’t kidding above, it might make it more authentic to use a vintage CRT TV. Might be a fun project someday to try to find a vintage TV set, or at worst, a dead one and placing a working modern TV inside it.

When I first got the laserdisc and VHS tapes, I did do an experiment back in the day. I played the laserdiscs on my parents Sony TV which was a CRT old school TV set from the 1980’s. My recollection was wow, the image quality was great compared to the over the air broadcast syndication prints. What is burned in my memory is the color saturation. The reds were so strong, the bridge railings, the turbo lift door, the redshirts!
The best I have is an early 2000 era tube TV with DVD player/VCR attachment. So I can at least recreate the 80's reruns - which for me is more nostalgic since those are my most vivid memories. Back when WPIX ran the series at like midnight Monday through Friday and then WVIW Channel 44 would run three episodes back to back on Saturday night from 11:30 on.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott, there’s a KPIX in my area that is the CBS affiliate station. My early syndication viewings of Star Trek were on KTVU weekdays in the afternoon. And I watched on a black and white TV in my bedroom. We did have a larger color TV in the family room.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Scott, there’s a KPIX in my area that is the CBS affiliate station. My early syndication viewings of Star Trek were on KTVU weekdays in the afternoon. And I watched on a black and white TV in my bedroom. We did have a larger color TV in the family room.

Mine were on WHNS-21 in the 80s; that gave way to TNG and Voyager in syndication on what is now FOX Carolina.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
When I first got the Blu-rays, and was watching on a 40" set, I really enjoyed the new remastering (with that caveat you mentioned about the fades).

However, in time that's passed, I've upgraded to a 50" television, as well as an HD projector. When I watch the new effects on those larger screens, they look more like cheap videogames to me now than a believable Enterprise. I think viewed on a smaller screen, from a further distance away, was enough to make them passable, but I've returned to watching the original versions only.

To me, the original effects, dates as they may be, hold up better on a larger screen than the new CGI effects do. The show itself is obviously the product of the 1960s; its less jarring to me to see effects from that time period. I just accept the whole thing. But when I see the new effects, at this point, they usually take me out of the show. I understand their reasoning for doing them, but I think they date the show more than the original ones do.
Yes in fact they add a pulpy element to the show

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The best I have is an early 2000 era tube TV with DVD player/VCR attachment. So I can at least recreate the 80's reruns - which for me is more nostalgic since those are my most vivid memories. Back when WPIX ran the series at like midnight Monday through Friday and then WVIW Channel 44 would run three episodes back to back on Saturday night from 11:30 on.
I still have a 20" pro grade / high resolution CRT with S-video when watching my Star Trek DVD episodes (almost exclusively). Some may not believe it, but it looks insanely beautiful, and destroys the BD episodes on my 65" Sony ZD9.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Which DVD set are you discussing Bryan? The first 2’fer DVD’s from 1999? Or one of the later sets?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Which DVD set are you discussing Bryan? The first 2’fer DVD’s from 1999? Or one of the later sets?
4f91384a-4682-11e6-85b9-b3b28a4d89aa.jpg

Along with the beautiful disc art, and menu screen, the color timing of the video image these are some of my favorite season sets ever made.
I'm currently looking for sealed "backup copies" I don't ever want to be without them.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Bryan, I have those sets too. Those are from 2004 and my copies still have those cardboard lower packaging too. I’ll give a disc or two a spin and compare to the blu rays.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar

Along with the beautiful disc art, and menu screen, the color timing of the video image these are some of my favorite season sets ever made.
I'm currently looking for sealed "backup copies" I don't ever want to be without them.
I agree. When I ripped these at original quality, I also ripped the menus and images of the discs. Watching these reminds me of my youth. Watching TOS-R makes me feel old. And the sound mixes, while not perfect, are better than TOS-R, IMHO. Episode to episode, this is my best TOS viewing experience.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

You mean you and I will be competing for copies on eBay? Damn it, man...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks